MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lovely day so, picnics and chairs in the boot of the TF for our first run out.
Drove up through Ashbourne to Carrsington Water, then on to Bakewell. Took a B road and found a secluded pull in where we had our picnic wall by ourselves. Many passing motorists waved as we sat there enjoying the Sun but, throughout the whole day we only saw one other TF which was in a very nice Purpley Monogram colour. MX5's by the bucket load so, where are all the MG's.
Do people not use them ?
I know these are strange times and there are restrictions but, taking the car out is allowed.
Just an observation.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Drove up through Ashbourne to Carrsington Water, then on to Bakewell. Took a B road and found a secluded pull in where we had our picnic wall by ourselves. Many passing motorists waved as we sat there enjoying the Sun but, throughout the whole day we only saw one other TF which was in a very nice Purpley Monogram colour. MX5's by the bucket load so, where are all the MG's.
Do people not use them ?
I know these are strange times and there are restrictions but, taking the car out is allowed.
Just an observation.
Yes, it is allowed! And depending on your viewpoint, it has been since the begining of the lockdown, especially over the Easter weekend.

Ive not taken mine out for a social run yet as Im sheilding for my wife but i did take 2 of my fleet out over the BH - one, becuse the air-con had packed up some while ago and two- because it handnt been moved since 21st March- only started and moved back and forth. It doesnt tske much lay up time for those discs to sound awful!
I didnt realise there are 2 different size low pressure adaptors for A/C. Beware if you buy one of those STP kits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do people not use them ?
Just an observation.
I was just thinking the same thing myself.... We had a fabulous day on Bank Holiday Monday. Took the TF from home (Doncaster) up the A1 then A64 to the York area, ended up in little village called Askam Richard. Took the folding chairs and picnic and sat on the village green complete with duck pond. Just a pity the beautiful old village pub was closed. Didn't see another MGF/TF but got a wave from a gent in a BGT Roadster.
If there are any F/TF owners in the Doncaster area please get in touch if you fancy a meet up or a drive somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts

Seems there might be about 20,000 F/TF left. A lot are on SORN- possibly nearly half.
Suppose 12,000 in use.
Suppose half not being used at present because of lockdown, leaves 6000 being used.
Of the 6000 being used, on any given day half of those don't make a trip, so 3000 get a daily outing.
Of the 3000, if each car is on the road for 2 hours then at any given moment about one twelfth (8%) of those cars are actully being driven.
That means there could be just 240 to 300 cars actually out on the road at any time.
UK road network totals 262,300 miles, so every MGF or TF being driven has about 875 miles to play in.
No wonder we don't bump into each other very much.
A few times each year I travel between the Hebrides and Glasgow- 242 miles down the A9 and M73. I can't remember the last time I met a TF on the trip, and recently I have hardly seen any MGR cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very informative, thank you.
There must be hell of a lot of MX5's judging by the amount that we seen....!!!!!

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
We need to remember the last TF made by MG themselves rolled off the line in 2004. The number of Chinese cars is quite small.
The MX5 is still in production, so not only are there more of them there are plenty of 'younger' cars not laid up waiting some kind of restoration. I have a 115 needs fixed from the ground up, and no time to do it.
How many folk here have at least 1 TF on stands or under a cover SORNd and waiting for attention?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The industry will be offering another Scappage Deal soon I reckon post Lockdown to stimulate business, so more F and TF's will be culled. I use both of mine over the Summer only, been out a few times in the Sun to the coast etc and have seen a couple of others. Lot's of new and older MX5's though.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
736 Posts
With respect to the MGF/TF, I know of at least 50 of these cars now here in Canada, as well as a few the ZR/ZS/ZT and Rover 75s, so there are a few more still kicking around and being enjoyed. I know our 2 MGFs are getting used on a relatively frequent basis throughout the summer.

·
Premium Member
mgf
176 Posts

Seems there might be about 20,000 F/TF left. A lot are on SORN- possibly nearly half.
Suppose 12,000 in use.
Suppose half ....
Nice analysis skellum. you obviously love math and analysis like me. Hope it is part of your job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have just acquired my second MG after 4 years without due to theft of my old one.I drove her back today top down and the lovely throaty sound of the stainless steel exhaust, bliss. I have to give her a good tidy up though to get her back to her former glory, the lacquer on the bonnet has lifted in several places and there's loads of other fiddly little jobs to get on with. She's in my favourite BRG HAM and I only paid £300 for her. I hope the sunshine holds out. BTW how do I know if she's the VVC or not?

·
Registered
mgf
37 Posts
rev counter will show red line at 7200 instead of 6800 or check the top of engine by the inlet manifold/plenum should have vvc on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use my F Freestyle every day for about 8 months a year, and I'm in the process of restoring a TF which has stood in my friend's driveway collecting the rain for years, so I am trying my best!! I live in north Suffolk and usually see one or two about town but nothing about at the moment.

·
Registered
rover_25
101 Posts
Well I have just acquired my second MG after 4 years without due to theft of my old one.I drove her back today top down and the lovely throaty sound of the stainless steel exhaust, bliss. I have to give her a good tidy up though to get her back to her former glory, the lacquer on the bonnet has lifted in several places and there's loads of other fiddly little jobs to get on with. She's in my favourite BRG HAM and I only paid £300 for her. I hope the sunshine holds out. BTW how do I know if she's the VVC or not?
it will have 2 cambelt covers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts