MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,

Previous owner of a 02 TF 135 in Trophy Blue and recently moved house so might be getting another one 馃

Have seen a nice 03 Plate Sprint in Le Mans Green for sale (fairly) locally at a nice price but doesn't have the full history.

Looks like it's had lots done to it to be honest and wondered if anyone knew who owned it previously.

Here's a couple of photos - check the passenger airbag.
mg-1.jpg mg2.jpg

One thing that stood out as well, looks like passenger side wing has had a bang at some stage

mg3.jpg

Premium Member
Not me (owned it) but like the colour. The metalic grey is my favourite but bet its not easy touching in when the inevitable ding occurs. Mine was silver and the bumpers were about as good a fit as that one! Problem is that they are dinged easily mijudging the length when approachin another car/object when parking. It realy doesnt matter on a 20 year old car if you are happy with the price. I let mine go for 1600 last August when my circumstances changed. Mechanically, it was perfect becuase thats what i do- maintain cars. Body? i wire-brushed , treated an undersaeled it. fe bother but it always made the MOT man smile and say something about 'old boys...'

In the Garage
MG TF
I don鈥檛 know the car but looking up the MOT, last year the originally car failed on the following:

Nearside Rear Service brake has no recorded effort at a wheel (1.2.1 (a) (ii))

Nearside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))

Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))

Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

Whist car then passed the Mot 3 days later I would be checking the quality of the repairs (presumably to the rear sub-frame) and find out if the rear callipers were replaced or just freed up and lubricated, if it is the later I would factor into having new calipers fitted.

Registered
I would steer clear of said example given the rear sub frame rust issues and that MOT history/mileage even if it is a Sprint (I have a Trophy Blue Sprint). Not sure what it is up for but a fair few about and worth paying more for something better without potential money pit issues such as rust. Only way to tell is get under it and get a Vehicle check.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I would steer clear of said example given the rear sub frame rust issues and that MOT history/mileage even if it is a Sprint (I have a Trophy Blue Sprint). Not sure what it is up for but a fair few about and worth paying more for something better without potential money pit issues such as rust. Only way to tell is get under it and get a Vehicle check.....
拢1700 from a dealer too albeit a small one.

Premium Member
From a Dealer thats a good price- I sold mine for 拢1600 with 60k on the clock. it wasnt a head-turner but it was damn reliable, well maintained and I was sorry to part with it. Taking it for an MOT was never a concern.

In the Garage
MG TF
Found it on Autotrader, the N/S rear calliper at least looks new, I would still want to inspect the rear subframe, can you get the garage to take some photos of the subframe? I would also want to inspect the subframe mounts on the front and rear. The airbag blank looks to have either faded badly or been repainted badly.

But at 拢1600 it maybe worth a punt.

Registered
We bought it after looking for a TF for a while, we went to look at the grey 1.6 also for sale but the green Sprint was so much better.

I have not had it on a lift yet but the underside looks ok, the passenger airbag has been sprayed silver for some reason, there are a few nicks on the bodywork but the rest of the car is in good condition, drives very nicely and sounds amazing. The handling is surprisingly good, much better than expected, given that we have a Lotus Elan M100 as well.

Looking round after the 150 mile drive home, it has also been fitted with Pipercross Viper induction, Piper Cams & what looks like a TT Mk 7 exhaust. Unfortunately it came without history so a cam belt and full service will be done together with anything else that needs doing.

It has obviously been well looked after in the past and we would be really interested in finding out if any other mods have been done.

Registered
Don't see what the issue is with the MOT failures? Fuse likely for lights, two new rear front subframe mounts to replace rusted ones and take off brake and free up the sticking piston and jobs done...of if feeling flush get some new callipers?? Not exactly difficult jobs for a garage or even a DIY enthusiast. Same with comments of rear subframe rust....there is very few TF's out there with no surface rust on the rear and front subframes these days unless they have been treated.

Don't know the car - sorry :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts