MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Having had the Traction Contol fault light come on our Rover 75, I traced it to a fault traction control actuator, which I removed and carefully disassembled, but unfortunately the internal spring uncoiled and parts went flying across the garage floor!

Indeed, I found that just one tooth on the large cog was broken with the tooth lodged in the small cog. I think I may be able to get away with just that one tooth left as mssing, but my dilema now is how to get it all back together! In particular the coil spring? If anyone can advise how this spring reattaches and the whole unit is reassembled, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers;

John.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Hi All,

Having had the Traction Contol fault light come on our Rover 75, I traced it to a fault traction control actuator, which I removed and carefully disassembled, but unfortunately the internal spring uncoiled and parts went flying across the garage floor!

Indeed, I found that just one tooth on the large cog was broken with the tooth lodged in the small cog. I think I may be able to get away with just that one tooth left as mssing, but my dilema now is how to get it all back together! In particular the coil spring? If anyone can advise how this spring reattaches and the whole unit is reassembled, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers;

John.
It's very slow on replies to your post. I think you might just have shot yourself in the foot with your DIY. Hope someone does come along who will be able to help. Bit of an unusual problem . :englandsmile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DIY approach is certainly better than having the dealer charge $1400 to diagnose and then decide that the traction control actuator is faulty and I need a new one. That would have been shooting myself in the head and not the foot as you so put it!

Anyway the problem is resolved as this seems to be a common issue with the teeth being stripped off the cogs. I found that the coil spring resides under the small cog and needs to be tentioned so that it will turn the small cog clockwise, once the actuator finishes cycling through its test routine.

All back together now and the problem is fixed with the traction control light going off and the system fully functional. Total cost $2, being for some glue.

It's very slow on replies to your post. I think you might just have shot yourself in the foot with your DIY. Hope someone does come along who will be able to help. Bit of an unusual problem . :englandsmile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The DIY approach is certainly better than having the dealer charge $1400 to diagnose and then decide that the traction control actuator is faulty and I need a new one. That would have been shooting myself in the head and not the foot as you so put it!

Anyway the problem is resolved as this seems to be a common issue with the teeth being stripped off the cogs. I found that the coil spring resides under the small cog and needs to be tentioned so that it will turn the small cog clockwise, once the actuator finishes cycling through its test routine.

All back together now and the problem is fixed with the traction control light going off and the system fully functional. Total cost $2, being for some glue.
Hi Yanni
I have the same problem Traction Contol fault light come on our Rover 75
please tell me whrere about is the traction control actuator

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Hi Yanni
I have the same problem Traction Contol fault light come on our Rover 75
please tell me whrere about is the traction control actuator

Its a small black plastic unit bolted to the back to corner of the engine bay,its got a plug underneath it and a cable running across the back of the engine down to a thottle near your air clearer.Its bolted onto a bracket with 3 bolts.Mines stuffed as well ,cable has snapped and has a chunk out of a the cog wheel. At $1,000 AUD im gonna try and fix it!!!

·
Registered
rover_75
1 Posts
Traction control gear

Thanks for your details on this fix. Apparently a common problem and the individual cog is not available as a spare part. When it is put back together with 1 or 2 teeth missing from the cog does the unit operate OK or is it best to remove and do without traction control all together if the car is not used on icy or slippery surfaces. Thanks Peter (Adelaide, SA)

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
I have repaired a couple of these,mostly if you take the top off the unit (watch out for the spring tensiomner in the unit) and get the small chunk of plastic cog thats broken out of the unit which is what clogs it up,they will work ok even if a small bit is missing.
On both mine,the bit of the cog which has the rubber stopper on it broke off but the unit still worked after re assembly without the stopper.
The unit is the exact same unit that was used on BMW E39s etc and used as a sencondary throttle actuator on the throttle body.
God only knows why Rover thought it would be strong enough to be used for traction control.
As for the cogs,I read somwhere BMW did have a repair kit for these units which included the cog but I have never actually seen one.
A good thing to do is open the inspection flap and spray a bit WD40 into the unit every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
classic_rover
419 Posts
My advice is to look for another vehicle with a similar traction control system

Identify the the actuator and use it for parts.

There is no way that part is unique to the rover/mg system.
It might be made by someone like haldex or delphi etc and bought in.

Traction control is rare on rovers but common on things like bmw's, which are you best chance of a similar part I reckon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Peter Bulgaria and Yanni for the exellent description. Had mine taken apart and reassembled today!

Best regards, Jonas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts