MG-Rover.org Forums banner
781 - 800 of 823 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
Back from my 4 day trip.
I'm more enthusiast than ever: this car is a master piece of engineering!
After 22 years and 188k km (116k mls) the KV6 2.5 is still at its utmost and delivers the best. :giggle:
Unusually that time I drove on a fair bit of motorways on purpose and the engine answer was as good as possible. I didn't try to use it sparingly and speed, responsiveness and power were top notch. I didn't see recent German or French cars driving better or faster than my 75 in that occasion even uphill, and I told you that in that area of France motorways are rather steep in places.

Only trick: as I didn't switch on the sport mode, I've used only the CC, but when decelerating from the top speed (130 km/h or 80 mph) because of some snail driving on the left lane (right lane in the UK) then cutting off the CC, the CC reactivated being unable to accelerate speedily enough to get back to the max speed because it keeps sticking to the top gear the only way to force the engine to react faster is to raise quickly the foot from the pedal then immediately kick down which has the well known effect to go down in gears and delivers the max power expected.
As I didn't want to ill-treat the engine I didn't switch on the sport mode as I've just told but considering my previous example (have a look on the precedent posts) I'm pretty sure that sport mode AND cruise control should have been the best solution to take full advantage of the KV6 power even on a steep slope. But 6,410 revs in a 22 year old engine ... once it looks enough, am I wrong? ;)

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,748 Posts
Glad to see you are still enjoying it :D

I agree, regular high revving is not a good idea for economy or engine life. However the occasional spirited use is okay to clear out the carbon and keep all parts moving properly.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
Glad to see you are still enjoying it :D
I agree, regular high revving is not a good idea for economy or engine life. However the occasional spirited use is okay to clear out the carbon and keep all parts moving properly.
I fully agree about engine life. That's why oil is serviced once a year whichever mileage I'm doing, and in 2020 and in 2021 it was particularly smaller than ever.

However regarding the economy it's surprisingly of very little effect: running only on E85 the more you ask from the engine the smaller the gap between E10 and E85 in mpg. To put it clearer: when driving say at 50 mph your consumption is roughly around +20/25% more fuel with E85 than with E5/E10. But driving at 80 mph the gap tends to be reduced between around +18/22%. Don't ask me why, I'm neither an engineer nor a petrol head but that's it. And I can easily verify it thanks to Torque Pro which gives me the immediate consumption in real time.

To illustrate with a few figures: with E85 my average mpg is exactly 22.7 (12.4 L/100 km) since nearly 4 years.
According to my last 3 fuel-ups during that weekly trip (one more needed but I assume it'll be better than the third one) I did: 22.89 (12.34) - 22.05 (12.81) - 21.75 (12.99). The first part was done on a relatively plain motorway, the second part on slopy and winding country lanes with several stops, the car exceptionally sleeping outdoors in a relatively chilly and damp area, and the third part on that hilly motorway I was previously talking about.
In the end the difference isn't that huge, given that I've put a particularly heavy foot on the pedal - you can trust me! - along the motorways I'm not very used to! I don't like very much motorways I find rather boring and expensive, but our destination was rather distant and I was spoiled for choice between two alternative routes on two different motorways. At last it had been done on purpose as well as an experiment about power and consumption of my KV6.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 · (Edited)
After spending a week at my elder son's 325 mls (520 km) far from home here are some results.
Consumption on the high as expected, why then?
  • overloaded by more than 50 wine bottles on the first journey (to enrich my expert son's vaulted cellar!) and luggages, bits & bobs, then 4 wheels (to put on winter tyres for the 25 or 214) and some other bottles on the way back,
  • going up and down from 500m to 1,500m hence less oxygen,
  • driving uphill and downhill on winding country roads,
  • A/C working permanently
  • heavy foot but only when needed (i.e. rather often!).
Brim to brim each fuel-up gave: 20.66 - 21.62 - 18 - 21 (13.67 - 13.07 - 15.69 - 13.45 L). Just a reminder: in full E85 that means 20/25% more than in E5, which is normal. Compare with my usual mpg in normal conditions: between 22 and 23 (12.28 and 12.84 L/100).
Regarding the engine: blissfully responsive!
Never I put the drive on sport mode, but even in normal / eco (!) mode and doing every time a kick down it revved 13 times over 6k! Mind that didn't last very long: just 3 seconds each time.
The 'lower' over 6k was 6,053 and the higher 6,666 revs! But the ECU is fully responsible and never ever it went over the 6,750 revs limit. Hence no need at all to put in sport mode to get a powerful response from the engine, as I'd guessed previously.
But I try to keep her in the best order possible with every service done in time and particularly here top quality oil (full synthetic 5W40) & filter service done once a year and easily less than 6k miles (10k km).
Fantastic result from a 22 year old engine with 190k km (nearly 120k miles)... I'm chuffed! :giggle:

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
I may add that I'm not at all interested in performance, challenge, race or anything of the sort.
I'm just very keen to know every detail of my 75, learn how she reacts and use at its best every feature which is on offer.
Otherwise what's the use of owning an 'old' and nearly classical car built by a bygone then glorious brand?
I'm just an enthusiast and a passionate as I'm told by my good mechanic...

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
That is not overloaded! Confession time. the racing green tourer auto I got as my first tourer was made to transport, with the aid of a trailer 24 3’x2’x2” slabs granted it was only a 90 mile trip and it was an oil burner.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
Indeed not overloaded I must admit, but do recall what Colin Chapman was telling us... ;) And added to the other factors around 100 kg in the boot doesn't help to get a good mpg...
Imagine that coming back I managed to find enough room in the boot for the four wheels (alloys & tyres), a few wine cases, our suitcase, my tool box and the like. I assure you that overloaded it wasn't but you couldn't have put a slipper more inside, the lid slightly touching the sheet put on the top to protect the trim! :LOL:

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
I haven’t done the maths but each slab weighs in about 50kg so I guess the only naughty bit was that twelve were in the car. I have fond memories when the big car was in getting its front end put back together after a kid in a Cleo came out a side road right into me.
We ended up using the wife’s Maestro to pull the caravan down to and around the Peak District at that time we had a Polar 450GL wild whose net weight was 1700kg that was over a 1100 mile round trip the wee MG only managed 25mpg on that journey and that was good old 4star leaded and 5 star when the garages sold it. It has to be said she towed the big van with ease and the fancy hydronic brakes on both the axels of the van meant that she stopped in much the same distance as she did without the van.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 · (Edited)
Some fresh news about the TOAF and Android mobile.
I've just got the convenient cable:
KKL cable for use with the Rover 75 TOAF OBD software airbag ABS engine

Then nearly at once I've tested it. I can connect so both cables and software are working fine!
As I'm a bit conservative I've only checked some functions such as EMS for KV6, JATCO, LCM & ATC, and without firing up the engine. And among the lot the VIS motors. All look in good order and working nicely! :giggle:
It looks rather easy to use as long as you check functions & errors.
But so far I don't want to make a mess while going into coding. I need to learn how to use it before. I think there's an how to somewhere here about the TOAF... :unsure:

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
Oh yes I know me, I'm super cautious!
No chance that I try something without knowing where I'm going to...
Thank you for the link: I've just realized I'd previously download the pdf file... maybe last year.
Being a novice I'll think about a long time to avoid doing a dreadful mistake.
Good tip to save everything in a backup. Thanks! (y)
The best of it at the moment is checking everything to be sure all is okay. After my 1k km trip I was pretty sure the car was at its best but you never know... :)

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
Interesting How To but TBH it's far from being comprehensive and I feel rather disappointed with so clever a software with so poor a documentation... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
I understand that. But I don't want either to act as a guinea pig! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
At last I've found it out!

No flaw on the rim: only reflection and poor picture... ;)

Now I can ... drive tall! :cool::p:giggle:

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
"Pastime with good company
I love and shall until I die
;" (king Henri VIII)
Pastime With Good Company (1513)

As my cabby is stalled waiting for a new master cylinder it was the turn of Lady Carlotta to gather with her companions on our meeting day & rally last Sunday. Happy lunch in the incredible castle of Lantis, Lot which story is stunning.

Enjoy my 75 amidst a crown of jewels...

Above close to mine is our president's Matra which we were to give a brave push happily in a slight slope to help her starting again because she had decided not to fire up! Even the best have their weakness! 😜

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
I was dreaming of a nice remap but some likely sound advice put me off at least at the moment, unless I can find a skillful garage well equipped and knowing all the ropes about it.
TBH the few contacts I've had so far here in France don't inspire much confidence. Wait & see.

Anyway I've just found out for an handful of quids the Holy Grail:
the whole 1999 French workshop documentation, 3 big manuals weighting a little more than 10 kg!
A precious help for me and my precious mechanic!

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
I know I am not exactly neutral here. Was looking through your pictures in the last post, two things came to mind. 1) must get a new strap fitted to my 75 watch. 2) out of all the cars at the outing The 75 is the best looking and will be the most comfortable.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
Thank you @alanaslan .
I'm not ashamed indeed when I'm going out in the 75.
But Rover is no longer known here in France (apart associated with Land or Range) and unfortunately she doesn't get the greetings she deserves. Never mind. I'm very happy nonetheless.

Regarding a remap I may not have said my last word.
I've got a pair of negative answers using as an excuse: 'we do not work on vehicles older than 20 years'. Actually another nice garage tried to but he hadn't the convenient software, and that was likely the same for the two former answers.
One didn't even answer.
But the last - but not the least, you'll see - recommended by a member of my club staff gave a positive answer: LR Performance near Albi (Albi once more @Roverlike !) which is the official local performance tuner of the Albi race circuit.
Indeed it's not Silverstone, Monza, or Nurburgring... A serious contender nevertheless.
Anyway I asked the commercial several precise questions and I was pleased by the answers.
It's a very custom made remap and not at all a copy paste of a standard one. They are testing the car on the test bench before and after and testing it as well on the race circuit to adapt their mod and they ask for a whole day.
I'm thinking about it up to Monday.
I'm not at all interested in power and speed. I'm not that fool.
But just making up for some weakness would be fine: more torque in the low revs, a tad more response (advance modification I bet - such a mod done on my 25 by Steve Abbott of Saws Tuning was very sensible and efficient) and a better fuel efficiency. Clearly put subtle and useful differences and not at all brutish effects.
Wait and see...

781 - 800 of 823 Posts