MG-Rover.org Forums banner

761 - 780 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
I've mentioned before that I have a dashcam. It's one of those that doesn't have an inbuilt screen. To view the footage. I have to remove the SD card and put it into my PC. The camera does have wifi, but you need a smartphone and an app to connect to it. I don't have a smartphone. There was an alternative.......

I discovered that I could download an Android program onto my laptop. Then I could use the smartphone app (on the laptop) and connect to the dashcam. This I did.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been trying to connect the app to the dashcam. My laptop recognises the dashcam. I can even get the laptop to connect to the dashcam. Can I get the app to connect to the camera? Nope! I've now given up. All I wanted to do is set the on screen time/datestamp.

At least the Android program and app were free, so no money lost.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
Well. What do you know? I've been spotted (again) on the Jaguar Forum! Roverlike was the first. Now it's Lamplighter.

It's a funny old world.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
Time for an aside. I like to do these once every so often. I find talking about general X-Type ownership keeps the interest in these cars up. So without further ado....

I've mentioned a number of time that I have a GSM phone. I retro-fitted it myself and it works just fine. However. It's old tech. If I had a mobile phone. I would've fitted the bluetooth modules to my Jag. So, the question is: What would've I done if I had a mobile phone?

My 2002 Jag had a phone loom fitted at the factory as standard. However. It was for the GSM phone and not the bluetooth. I would have to buy the bluetooth loom. The bluetooth loom has extra wires. Excuse me while I take off on a tangent.

When I fitted voice control. I bought another phone loom, so I could modify it outside the car. This I did. The phone loom I bought was for the bluetooth phone. Happily. It was backwards compatable. My GSM phone works quite happily. Back to the plot!

Changing the loom was simple. Remove the lower part of the rear seat. Remove the centre console. Tape the new loom to the old and pull! Easy.

The factory bluetooth setup requires three other major parts. The main module that sits in the boot. It should be noted that the bluetooth and GSM module uses the same metal casings. If you're buying a module. Make sure it hasn't got GSM written on the label. You don't want that one. You want the one that has NAP2K on it.The other module is a small black plastic one. It's marked BTUM. It's connected to the end of the loom that's under the centre console (Yes. The loom has two ends!). The third part is the microphone. This sits on the outside of the courtesy light unit on the roof. It does mean removing the courtesy light unit to conect the microphone. It also means punching a hole through the roof lining to thread the microphone wire though. You're almost ready to replace the centre console.

I have a two level centre armrest. In the top level, sits the GSM phone. The bottom level contains cassettes (Remember those?). If I had a bluetooth phone. I'd have it in the top level. There's a problem though. I'd want to power the phone. As the centre console was off. I'd run a power lead from the back of the cigar lighter through to the top level of the centre armrest. Once tested, I'd replace the centre armrest assembly.

I'd now have a phone in the top level of the armrest. It would be powered when the ignition was switched on. I'd now need to hook up the module that sits in the boot.

Since I already had a CD changer. The rack would already be fitted. I'd have to take the rack out and fit the phone module. The other end of the loom fits right in. This is where a last minor part is needed. That's the fibre optic D2B cable.

When I fitted the 'goodies' to my Jag. I bought assorted D2B cables. I then took them apart and built the cable I needed. Any modules in the boot need to be 'daisy chained' together. So, if you had a CD changer and a phone. You'd need a D2B cable with three ends. One for the CD changer. One for the phone and one to connect to the major D2B cable in the boot.

Handy hint. Buy cheap single cables. Multi module cables are expensive! Take the single cables apart and build your own.

There is now one last task. That's to 'pair' the phone to the modules. I can't tell you exactly how it's done, as I don't have a mobile phone, but it involved entering a code into the keypad in the radio. Once entered. The car will then look for the phone (Just make sure the phone is switched on). Once the phone has been found. It'll be 'paired'.

There you have it. You'll be able to operate your mobile phone by using the keypad that's on the radio. If you wanted to be really cheeky. Add voice contol. Then you'll be completely hands free!

As a side note. People often ask if they can stream music from their phone. Sadly no. That's a different system. Why not do what I did. Fit a CD changer and create your own CD's?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Now that I've had the Jag for a few years. I've gotten into an annoying habit. I've gotten into the habit of extracting every last mile out of the petrol. I've managed to find the 'sweet spot' on the throttle. I can get to this 'sweet spot' easily. This gives me 50mph at 2000rpm in 5th gear. Therein lies the problem....

This 'sweet spot' only works on flat ground. Where I live. There are plenty of hills. As a result. The auto box goes into a hissy fit and can't decide if it wants to be in 4th or 5th. Up until a day or so ago. I just nudged the selector into 4 gear mode while going up a hill. Once on flat ground. I'd nudge it back into 5 gear mode. To be honest. I did begin to think that the gearbox had become faulty. I now realise it was me! Moving on.

Out of curiosity. I put the gearbox into Sport Mode. What a difference! The autobox hasn't had any hissy fits. The Jag accelerates harder. Then there's that growl from the exhaust. Wonderful.

My fuel consumption is going to suffer big time!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
Unbelieveable. Another lockdown. This has thrown (once again) the servicing schedule out of the window. I had planned for the two rear springs and a suspension arm to be replaced. The AFT in the gearbox is past its sell by date and needs replacing. The same goes for the spark plugs (I can change the front bank, but not the back). The front two tyres could use replacing.

I'll have to re-schedule for early December. I'm really annoyed!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
As mentioned above. The auto box would throw a hissy fit in Comfort mode. It was always as 50mph at 2000rpm. It felt like the box couldn't decide if it wanted to be in 4th or 5th gear. In Sport mode, the box wouldn't do it. Suffice to say. I was getting a bit fed up with this.

On another drive. I took the engine up to 50mph and 2000rpm. As expected. The gearbox threw a hissy fit. This time out though. I kept it there until the ECU decided to report a problem. It took about 20 seconds, but the EML lit up. Hooray. I've now got something to work with.

Back home. I plugged in my code reader. It reported an intermittant plug fault on cylinder 6. Now. About a month or so ago. I took out the front bank of spark plugs to inspect them for the engines condition. The colour was good and the gap was correct. It never occurred to me that one of the plugs might be faulty and cause a mis-fire. Considering that the engine had 6 cylinders. I didn't expect the mis-fire to be so pronounced. I suspect that if one cylinder mis-fired. It could probably effect another.

Anyway. I decided to change the plugs for the entire front bank of cylinders (Might as well I suppose). Once everything was put back together again, I went out for a test drive. I can now report that the gearbox no longer has a hissy fit! Result!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
I managed to get the front tyres changed yesterday. It was a bit of a faff (considering the current restrictions). I bought a pair of Good Year's on the strength of suggestions on the Jaguar Forum I'm with. I have to say. I can see why Good Year's are so popular. It's the complete lack of road noise!

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,676 Posts
Good news! Out of interest, what was the decibel level on the label. :cool:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
It's 69Db. I've no idea what what the Db rating was on the tyres that the Good Years replaced. The difference was very noticeable. It went front a slight background drone to nothing. When pottering round the roads. There's silence (Radio excepted). I still have the rear tyres to replace (The spare was replaced with a Good Year some time ago).

It should be noted that the sound deading in the Jag is excellent to start with.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Always rating Dunlop or his twin brother Goodyear: the former on my 25, the latter on my 75. I'm still waiting to see the cabby tyres worn to swap for either of those brands. Good handling on wet grounds, reliable, strong & comfortable (even at 35 psi on 15" wheels): what more could we ask for?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Interesting that you mention Dunlop.

Back in 2010. I bought a grey import Royal Enfield (I won't bother to go into the back story. Suffice to say. It was 100% factory original). As it was an Indian home market machine. It was shod in Dunlops. The export machines were all shod in Avon's. I've yet to come up with an answer as to why the different tyres for different markets.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
The Jag was getting a bit grubby. This green 'slime' was building up in between the creases and panels. It had to go! So it was out with the power washer. Things were going well until I set off the tilt sensor. Small problem. I'd left the keys indoors! Que one mad dash to get the keys, while the Jag was annoying the neighbours!

Well. At least the Jag is clean now.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Well. At least the Jag is clean now.
Plus, you also have confirmation that the alarm sounder and associated system still works too :D

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
One for you in Practical Classics March 2021... just in case:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
Cheers for that. Can't see the Mondeo becoming a classic in the same sense. Take that X-Type critics!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
It's happy similes time. I've just found another thing that my Jag can do.

If any of the electric windows are down when you leave the car. When you lock the car and keep your finger on the Lock button. The windows will close. Neat!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Can't see the Mondeo becoming a classic in the same sense.
I can.

You only have to look at things like the Cortina, Capri and Fiesta - all once plentiful, now mostly gone and therefore very collectable...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #780
I can't quite agree. Look at the Sierra. The only ones that are being sought after are the Cosworth versions. The others are largely forgotton.

761 - 780 of 781 Posts