MG-Rover.org Forums banner

741 - 760 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
Just to let everyone know. The Jag goes into the Garage to get the work done tomorrow. I've had a 'ballpark' estimate. It's less than I thought it would be. I might not get the Jag back until Thursday, so the Garage will be letting me have a Courtesy car if needed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
The Jag is currently up in the Garage. I won't be getting it back until Friday. They've giving me the use of a courtesy car. It's a noisey, creaky and rather naff Vauxhall Corsa. Hateful thing!

The reason that the Jag will be spending so much time in the Garage is; They're doing the work piecemeal. The Garage is kind of overwhelmed at the moment. I expect the welding on the sills will take the longest. Meanwhile. I'm stuck with this 'shopping trolly'.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
I have the Jag back for the weekend. The welding on the sills has been done. There's still the rear caliper and suspension arm to do. Well. That's the major stuff. Then there's the air-con service and the MOT. Speaking of which....

When the Jag was reversed into a parking bay. I noticed that I had a broken brake light bulb. It's the good job that the Jag hadn't gone through the MOT. It would've failed! I got the Jag home and changed the bulb. Phew!

In other news. I've just re-taxed the Jag. £330 for the year it cost me. It's going to be a really expensive month!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I have the Jag back for the weekend. The welding on the sills has been done. There's still the rear caliper and suspension arm to do. Well. That's the major stuff. Then there's the air-con service and the MOT. Speaking of which....

When the Jag was reversed into a parking bay. I noticed that I had a broken brake light bulb. It's the good job that the Jag hadn't gone through the MOT. It would've failed! I got the Jag home and changed the bulb. Phew!

In other news. I've just re-taxed the Jag. £330 for the year it cost me. It's going to be a really expensive month!

Any photos of the sills? - I would be interested to see what kind of a job they have done.

Re: the tax, you could always pay via monthly direct DD to ease the pain.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
I don't have any photo's of the work done on the sills. It would be awkward to take any as well. Reason being: The outer parts of the sills have plastic covers. The most you're going to see is the shiny new rivets that hold the covers on. Add to that, the Jag is low to the ground anyway. I probably wouldn't be able to get a camera to focus.

There was a bit of a cock up. The Garage was going to show me the work on the sills before the covers went back on. That was supposed to be on the Thurday of last week. They couldn't do the work until the Friday (The Garage is that busy). As I've said before. I have to take the Jag back tomorrow, so the work can ve finished.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
I've just popped out to see If I could get a camera under the Jag. Not much luck. However. The work that had been done is obvious. On the passenger side. There's a patch under the rear door. On the drivers side. Almost half of the sill has been replaced! The replaced parts that I could see were on the bottom. I've no idea what was replaced behind the covers.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
The Garage sage continues.

I collected the Jag today. The work still isn't finished. The rusty suspension arm has been replaced, but I have to drop the car off tomorrow to get the tracking done. Then there's the brake caliper mystery. The rear passenger side caliper (In my opinion) is seized. However. It passed the performance tests for the MOT. The rear drivers side caliper, didn't. The hand brake performance was poor. That's the puzzle. The 'bad' caliper was good, while the 'good' caliper was bad.

Head scratching anyone?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
At long last. The Jag has a fresh MOT. The mystery of why the good caliper was 'bad' was solved. It was, err, hmmmm. My fault. On the back of the brake pad is two studs. These studs engage with two slots that are on the head of the piston. Guess who didn't do the job right? Well, I did get it right on the other caliper.

There's still some things that'll need doing during the coming year. One suspension arm was replaced, but the other is on its way out. Although the 'bad' caliper passed the MOT. I'm not happy with it. Think I'll get it changed. The rear coil springs are rusty. I've already had the front two changed. I think it's time for the rears to be done.

Oh. Now that the air-con has been serviced (and re-charged). The difference is noticable.

Well. That's £1000 blown on the Jag this month.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
And the spending continues.....

I mentioned earlier that I had broken one of the rear number plate lightbulb holders and that I had bodged the light with some Blu-Tac. I searched around the interweb and found a replacement. In a strange twist. It was cheaper to buy a pair of lights (Complete with loom) than it was for a single unit. At least, I'll have a spare. £20 well spent.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
At last. THe replacement number plate lights have arrived. The reason they took so long to arrive was: The seller was on holiday. I don't mind though. If the weather is good this weekend. I'll replace the broken light then.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
I've just spent an unhappy hour sorting out the broken number plate light. What a faff! The 4 nuts weren't done up very tight. Then I had to contend with 2 hidden clips, that I needed a torch to find.

You couldn't use a socket set to sort out the 4 nuts. Where wasn't enough space to use a ratchet spanner. It all had to be done with a normal open ended job, 1 flat at a time.

I hearby award Jaguar with my Dumb Design Award.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
What were the four nuts retaining?

Presumably, thee was just the usual spring clips at one end of the lamp holder to find to allow them to pop out?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
The 4 nuts hold on the long chrome trim that retains the boot opening button and number plate lights. On the outer ends of the chrome trim is the two spring clips. Because Jaguar built the boot lid like a tank. It has extra metal panels spot welded to it. There's just enough room between the panels to get your hand in with an open ended spanner. Whoever designed this, didn't have mass production in mind. No wonder the 4 nuts weren't done up very tight!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
Here's something that's a little bit random.

I've mentioned from time to time, that I have a car phone. It resides in its own compartment in the arm rest between the front two seats. As I have a touchscreen. The phone can be operated via the touch screen (and even via voice control).

Once every so often, I received texts. These are always from the network I'm with (All Spam I hasten to add). When I receive a text. A notice pops up on the touch screen. I ignore then on the grounds that I know what the texts are. Anyway.....

During the week. Another one of these notices popped up. For reasons I have yet to fathom. I used the touch screen to see what had turned up. Now. I should point out that I was driving at the time. When I got to the list with the texts in it. It was empty. Odd, I thought.

I got home and parked up. I went to the list again. There were the offending texts. It would seem that there's a safety feature at work here. Texts won't be displayed unless the car was stationary.

Interesting!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
I would be interesting to know if other cars use the same system. However. I can't recommend anyone finding out (Safety concerns). It's bad enough seeing drivers with phones up against their ears, let alone trying to read texts.

741 - 760 of 781 Posts