MG-Rover.org Forums banner

681 - 700 of 764 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
It looks like the wise advice given to share holders: never sell when low, and wait long enough before selling high.
That's my motto as well but there's a slight difference: I don't want to sell at all my three cherished Rovers even they look sometimes mischievous! :ROFLMAO::p

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
I think scarcity is part of the equation. When Rovers were common, you couldn't give them away. Now that they're few and far between.... Well. It's a different story. What helps is that spares are still plentyful.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Not so much Rover spares as you think: for example only 500 Rover 214 cabby or thereabouts were sold in France from 1993 to 1995 (mk2) and how many now still on the roads?
Generally speaking lots of 200 series spares are a very pain to find out, I can talk now by experience: outside clips, bumper chrome finishers, front light finishers, the main part of hood elements, duct-air for throttle body and likely I haven't seen the end of the list... And mind that I've sought them out everywhere in the UK & in Europe!
I agree it looks easier for the last period (1999-2005) but it's becoming harder & harder for the older cars.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Of course. Spares for the likes of the Rover 200 are hard to come by. My focus is for the Rover 25. Although some new parts are beginning to dry up. There's enough of the essential parts (New) and 2nd hand parts to keep these cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
At long last. We've got some dry weather! I could actually go out and do some bits and bobs on the Jag. Nothing earth shattering though. Just those things that keep a car in good order. Topping up the windscreen washer bottle. Checking the tyre pressures and cleaning out the dead leaves (It is autumn after all) from those places where they tend to hide. Oh. Evicting spiders from the door mirrors was another job.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
It's that time of year (again), where I have to take a trip to Plymouth. Earlier in the year. I set myself a target of averaging 30mpg there and back. I managed just over 30mpg and a peak of 35mpg. Now. That trip was made in late Spring. It's now Autumn. It's colder and wetter. The electrical services will have to work harder this time out. Back then. I didn't need to use the lights and the wipers. The climate control was set to 20 degrees as well. This time out, it's a different ball game. It's cold, wet and dull out there. The climate control is currently set to 23 degrees. Just how much of an impact will these changes have on fuel consumption? We're going to find out!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
Well folks. I'm back. Believe me when I say it was the trip from hell!

The outward leg was plagued with bad light. Rain. Road works and trucks. Knowing full well that electrical services gobble up the fuel. I turned off the climate control for the entire journey. Somehow, The Jag managed to stay warm inside. The entire outward leg was done with the sidelights switched on. The wipers were used sparingly. I managed an average of 30.5mpg with a peak of 31mpg.

The homeward leg, I faired a little better. I had to use the headlights to start off with. The average mpg took an instant hit. Because of the wet weather we had over the weekend. The Jag began to fog up on the inside. I had to switch on the climate control to de-fog the windscreen. Another fuel consumption hit.

Once the sun had come up and the windscreen cleared. I switched off the climate control and the lights. The average mpg began to climb. Despite the odd truck and tractor. I was now getting over 31mpg. 32mpg was in sight. However. It wasn't to last. I had now managed 31.9mpg. With a mile to go. It all went wrong. There was an accident and the Police had closed the road. I had to turn around and find another route. As you would expect. It was traffic jam city! Of course. The average mpg took a hit. I did make it home. The final average was 31.1mpg. So what's the reducto?

The stated average mpg for urban driving is 20mpg. The average for extra-urban is 25mpg. For motorways, it's 30mpg. So I've managed motorway economy on an extra-urban curcuit. It also illustrates that electrical services on a car uses fuel. Mind you. We all knew that anyway.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Now that it's dark mornings and in the evenings. A yearly annoyance has reared its ugly head again. That is: The buttons on the key fob. Now. This annoyance only happens after I've parked the Jag up. Now. I'm not saying that I've got fat fingers. But I lock the car and then walk away. For some strange reasons, the lights are still on. Oh. I've forgotton to switch them off. I go back, open the door....... Only to find the lights HAVE been switched off! Somehow. In the darkness, I've managed to press the 'Light your way home' button on the key fob.

Really annoying that!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
The Jag didn't half give me a scare this morning. It wouldn't start!

The last time I used it was Saturday. That night, there was a bit of a storm here. So much so. It set off the Jags alarm. High winds have done it before, so I didn't think much of it. Moving on...

The engine cranked over fine, but the engine wouldn't fire. My first thought was the battery was getting low. Out with the charger to give the battery a top up. Time passed and I tried again. The engine still wouldn't start. Oh dear, I thought. This isn't good!

I plugged in my fault code reader. No faults were found. However. The engine management light was on in the dashboard. The message centre also said Gearbox Fault. Once again. I thought; Oh dear.

I now did the hard reset. I disconnected the battery and went in for some coffee. Once consumed, I went back out, reconnected the battery and tried again. No change. A small amount of panic set in.

Throwing a bit of logic at the situation. I decided that the storm must've effected the gearbox somehow. So I wiggled the gearshift, handbrake and the steering wheel (FWD folks). Then I hit the starter. After a few coughs and spits. The engine fired up! Then the engine management light went out! Phew. That was a close one!

I reckon that the storm got a sensor damp somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Phew! That kind of situation makes always sweat... because you never know where the blow comes from...
Better to protect your Jag under a shelter. I don't like to see my lovely Rovers sleeping outside, even it's inside the property.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
Sadly. I don't have much of an option. Although I've got a garage. It's occupied by my motorbike and workshop. The last car that fitted into the garage was an Austin 1100. A Jag is a fair bit bigger!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
It's a new year, but the quest to keep the Jag in fine fettle never stops.

Today, it was out with a jug of water and a toothbrush (I kid you not!). There was a small build-up of green yuk in those small nooks & crannies around the car. Let's face it. Nobody wants to open a door and see a green moss like substance on the rubber strip between the door window and door.

Maybe I just should've bought a green Jag?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
I'm beginning to think that my battery is on its way out.

Jaguar's do funny things when the battery is low. Today, I've had a heap of 'funny things'. That gearbox fault reappeared. I was stuck in limp mode for a few miles. Then that fault vanished. The engine management light came on. I plugged in a fault code reader and got assorted codes. I cleared the codes and drove the Jag again. Then I got different codes. The gearbox fault came back, but no limp mode. At one time. The Jag wouldn't even start. Wouldn't even crank over! Finally. The climate control fuse blew.

Although I only managed to put the battery charger on the Jag for an hour. The battery was still sucking the power at a high rate. That battery must've been low! I did fully charge it last month!

As for the blowing fuse. I reckon it's the home brew wiring loom. I think a wire has come loose from the back of the head unit and is shorting out. Fuse No 75 controls the climate control and the folding mirrors. I've lost both. Everything else works.

I'll put the battery charger back onto the Jag tomorrow. If I have the time. I'll check the loom behind the head unit.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
Yes, low battery can do havoc on can bus controled car.

True. All of the fault codes I got on my reader were Can Bus related. My engine management light is still on. Fingers crossed, it'll go off when the battery is fully charged. Then I'll have to sort out the blowing fuse.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
I've had a thought (I do get them from time to time). Is it possible for a fuse to blow because the battery is low?

It's unlikely though. Even when the Jag was switched off and a new fuse inserted. It still blew.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
No, fuse will not blow when battery is low.
Fuse blown means that it is under power nevertheless Jag is switched off.
As I said. It was just a thought. I'm back to the loom that's behind the head unit. Thankfully. I have the wiring diagram for it (Hell. I designed and built it). I've already narrowed it down to one potential wire.

We shall see if I'm right or not.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Well. I've pulled out the sat-nav unit and no fault was found. After searching the interweb. The most likely culprit is the alarm sounder unit inside the front wheel arch. Other people have said that they've had the same fault as I'm getting and that the sounder was the problem.

I can't do anything about it for a week. I'll look at it next Saturday.

No climate control for a week. Bummer!

681 - 700 of 764 Posts