MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have just joined the club and bought a TF160.
Today was the first motorway journey and the alternator failed.
Please could I have recommendations for a relevant new brand?
In addition the heat forward and back of the gearstick seems excessive.
I could not even touch the cigarette holder and the faux plastic surround on the bottom of the gear stick was also extremely hot.
Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
The gearbox is in the back, so it is not heat from the gearbox you are feeling.

The main coolant pipes for the radiator run under the car front to back, plus the (flexible) heater hoses run through the 'transmission tunnel'. Perhaps these flexis have been routed badly in the last, causing the problems you have experienced? Try removing the cubby near the handbrake to eyeball the area around the handbrake and see where/how these hoses run

I wouldn't get hung up on alternator brands to be honest - anything that is for your car will be fine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
As Ian has mentioned heater pipes run through the tunnel and they can make things warm....very warm :) Alternator, check ebay for new or second hand there are always plenty for sale, just make sure if buying second hand the seller can confirm the adjuster bolt hole is free and no snapped bolt in there...edit...like this one Mg Tf Altenator | eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Can a thermal shield be placed around these or do they just need dripping down?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thanks guys.
Can a thermal shield be placed around these or do they just need dripping down?
Never been bothered about the heat in mine, suppose you could put some shielding around them to reduce the heat

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
The ambient temperature has been high over the last week or so, i would wait untill things go back to normal before doing anything about the heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts