MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend set off from Bristol, headed towards Leeds in my ZT 1.8T. I filled up with petrol about 5m from home and when I started the car it fired then died and wouldn't start. After about 30 mins, the car started perfectly and I drove 220 miles with the only glitch being a couple of heartstopping moments when the car appeared to cut out - rev counter dropped to zero, no throttle response, but equally no ignition light etc. The car then returned to normal and I continued my journey. Upon arrival, again the car wouldn't start when hot, but after a cool down period it started and ran normally. I had my Torque app connected throughout the journey, and there were no warnings or fault reports. I made the return journey yesterday and the story repeated itself - started up from cold but required a short break before starting after refueling and then the journey completed without missing a beat. Torque reported a 43mpg fuel consumption with m'way speeds between 70 and 80mph all the way and temp was 85-90deg all the way. The only other issue was the fuel temp gauge stuck at full and the external temp reading stuck at 14 deg. Not sure whether this is related. Given the lack of fault reports, I'm assuming the problem is fuel starvation not ignition related - could it be the start of fuel filter/fuel pump failure or (please no) an ECU failure. The ECU drain has always been clear, so should not have been waterlogged. Baffled - any ideas?

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having decided that the most likely explanation was the fuel filter, I had a look at it this weekend. Surprisingly, there was no apparent problem with it - all in one piece and no indication that the seal was broken. When I put everything back together, the problem appears to have gone - car now starts hot and cold, and no sign of a problem. I'm wondering whether there was some debris in the fuel line to the filter that I dislodged when I disconnected it because there is a noticeable improvement in pick up now when I hit the gas pedal.

As there was no orange clip present, I'll be ordering one ASAP to make sure the filter unit stays together for another 70k miles (hopefully!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts