MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1493 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Perhaps you could try pre-heating the master cylinder with a hot air gun and then see if the gear change problem comes on more quickly?
That's a good idea, thanks. I do not have a hot air gun. Maybe pour some hot water over it in the engine compartment. The engine compartments do get very warm in the current heatwave.

If I get a chance to do that, I'll post up my findings.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Decided to sort my weeping rocker gasket :smile:
Took the lid off and the rubber gasket had become brittle:frown:
Phoned the local motor factors to order a new one.
Just been to pick it up and.............his supplier has sent the Rover
gasket not the Honda 1 even though he gave them the Reg:surprise:
Correct 1 ordered for the F20Z1 engine and should be in this afternoon.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Every summer, I spend a bit of time crawling underneath the two cars, armed with my paint brush, in search of rust.

I'm just doing the front end of the 600. It's really very good for a 20 year old car. A couple of places warrant attention. The heat shield over the cat is galvanised, but some significant corrosion has happened around the two bolts that hold the front of it to the body. I've got all the rust off and painted around the two bolts.

The sump is rusting again; dealt with that previously, but it's going again near where the exhaust down-pipe passes close to it. Not currently bad, but best dealt with now.

Wonder if it will last another 20 years?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Got the final coat of zinc galv spray on GEF's undercarridge this afternoon.

Looks a lot better than "wanging some black schultz" on there.:grin:

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,449
Some TLC, maintenance and renewals for my old faithful 620ti.

Didn't touch my daily driver ZT-T today but devoted about two leisurely hours working on my 1999 Rover 620ti. In the fine afternoon sunshine.

When renewing its Clutch Slave Cylinder Seals recently, I discovered why my car was occasionally suffering Boost Cut. The Boost Modulator Valve [ BMV ] had fractured one of its plastic tubes allowing air to enter. No way would that modulate.

No big deal. That BMV stub tube was damaged years ago and I repaired it using a few layers of Fibre Glass. Worked perfectly after that repair until recently. I have a good used undamaged one which I will fit in due course. I will again repair it using fresh Glass fibre. Will be a good spare. The BMVs are difficult to remove and fit on 620ti owing to their restricted access location below and behind the Battery Tray. Now I had two 620ti Battery Trays refurbished with powder coating in Gloss Black last time I took some alloy wheels up to Brum to have those done. So two birds with one stone and a shiny new tray will go back in there.

Furthermore, although I had renewed the slave's seals, the clutch did not have the "feel" I like just as it had for mostly over the past twelve years of ownership. I suspect it is a worn master this time. Removal of that Master's Rubber Seal Cover revealed some signs of escaping Hydraulic Fluid. I checked Rimmer's price for a new 620ti Clutch Master and that was £119.00. As a long standing customer, Rimmer's usually allow me a little discount ~ every little helps of course but, before buying a google and ebay search turned up an original genuine Rover one for £70 Buy it now or make an offer. I offered £52.50p which was rejected with the seller's counter offer of £65.00. I got back with a FINAL counter offer of £59.00 to include postage to my UK Mainland address which was accepted. A tenner is a worthwhile saving. As indeed is £60 id I'd got the Rimmer's item. It should arrive by the weekend. Meantime I'll remove the old part ready for the new one when it arrives. More upside down mullarkey in the driver's footwell ... :doh: Doncha just lurve that.. My old bones, muscles and joints do ... not!

A few images attached shows what parts were involved. Good car my old faithful 620ti now in its thirteenth year of ownership. Some TLC and a few quid here and there on maintenance and renewal is well worth it on this car. still goes like a well maintained 620ti should ... when the BMV is in good shape... :)

Attachments

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,450
I used my ZT-T to take a shopping trip today ~ cannot go without a cuppa when working on the cars ~ to get some Milk and got a small Tin of High Temperature [ HT ] Black Gloss engine paint from Halfords on the way back for work on my old faithful 620ti.

I did use all the dregs from my old tin of the same stuff but, not enough to cover all the bits needed with sufficient paint. They will get a fresh coat .. tomorrow. Here's before and after images of the Battery Support Brackets. All being well, they should last another two decades ... Good eh... ;)

No pictures... again.. see attachments.. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,451
New 620ti Clutch Slave Cylinder fitting technique for DIYers.

Completed the task of fitting a new Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder to my trusty Rover 620ti today. Not a five minute job.

I posted a more detailed account over on the "Techniques and Gizmos" thread.

Clutch Slave Cylinder task now completed.

Car now its old self again and a delight to drive. MoT due soon too... :)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
My favourite 620ti lives on ... MoT Pass today.

My trusty 620ti lives on another twelve months. MoT Pass today.

Now in its thirteenth year of ownership and still only showing 94,000 miles, I expected a pass and maybe a few advisories. There were several of the latter, minor ones which will require some TLC which I shall do when time allows.The MoT tester called my attention to a few details whilst the car was high up on the inspection ramps. Good to be able to have a look at the car's underside like that and be allowed to take a few images.

Main concern was a messy oil leak which looks like coming from the rear of the Inlet Camshaft Cover ~ unseen behind the engine so not easily noticed except for the occasional whiff of burning oil. Easy fix after a clean up with the Nilfisk pressure washer. . Those rubber Camshaft Gasket Seals perish and harden with age and heat-cold exposure cycles many many times so not surprising on a car approaching twenty years of age.

The attached images show what was involved. These include a close up of the Clutch Hydraulic Slave cylinder I fitted a few days ago. Pleased with the brakes' readings on the rollers. Also a reminder that the rear calipers could benefit from some TLC and maybe new pads too. Nice to have such under car access to check and see things for yourself....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,453
Today's Scrapyard Visit nearly a complete waste of my time.

Just when I thought my Scrapyard Visit would be a waste of my time today, not much to interest the MG and Rover enthusiast, mostly new arrivals German stuff. Before leaving empty handed, I checked the shed load of Batteries removed from each incoming scrap car as part of the decontamination extraction and recovery process.

There was what looked like a nearly new GM ( General Motors ) Battery of the exact size for a Rover 620ti. I lifted it up using its twin handles, these big batteries are heavy, and took it up to the office. Politely asking to put the Battery Tester on it. It was good and strong with high readings. Cost twenty quid with fiver refund when I bring a scrap battery back to them. Fitted to the 620ti there and then to really test it. Engine burst into life soon after turning the key. So the trip not a waste of time after all. Plus, I did spot a car which is of interest to me. Will return with the tools when more time available. Images show the battery in place. Well pleased the trip was not a waste of my time.:smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,454 (Edited)
Used my 620ti to rescue my sons' friend's Rover 214

Dad, can you recover a friend's Rover 214 from Oxford to Swindon ?

We think it's snapped a Timing Belt and too good to scrap. Only done 51,000 miles.

Dad's 620ti and tow bar attachment to the rescue for the thirty odd mile rescue trip. My younger son steering the dead 214. I have towed many stranded cars over the years using my DIY rigid tow bar. By some distance my younger son James is by far the smoothest towed car driver. Snatches are very few if any and he is so smooth with steering and braking it's as if I am not towing a car.

These images show the cars on arrival after the recovery trip.

Lifting the 214's bonnet to have a look, the Bolt holding the Camshaft Pulley had sheered off flush with where it enters the threaded part of the Camshaft. Looking closely and the sheered off bolt's threads, It was clear that where it had fractured, the threads at the sheer point were stretched. We suspect over use of power tools in previous ownership. My sons' friend has not had it long. The Timing Belt was intact and looked new. Just the Camshaft Drive Pulley no longer in contact with the Camshaft... completely detached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
REDEX Feedback update. Rover 620ti.

Used my aged Rover 620ti this morning for some last minute items to buy before the Christmas shut down. Took in the local bypass dual carriageway to stretch its legs. Car has now done 200 miles since the last tank fill where I added REDEX Fuel and Injector Cleaner. The car is without question, much better from both the throttle response and acceleration. More like its old self. I took it up through the gear reaching nearly the NSL in second gear before changing up. Clean as a whistle speed increase when I floored it up to the red line ( 6,500 rpm ) and so clean when it reached the red line. I was impressed.

Luck, weather conditions, pure circumstance, placebo effect... ? No way. There is definite improvement.

Fuelling up in Morrison's Filling Station, there was a new MG ZS in front of me filling up. Got talking to its owner and he is delighted with the car.... Not my cup of tea for personal transport but, they have obvious appeal to many car consumers. I'm seeing a sudden increase in new and near new Chinese MGs on the roads locally and further afield..

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,456
REDEX played a part? Hard to say but definite improvements.

This morning I filled up to the brim my Rover 620ti and added another bottle of REDEX Cleaner.

Filled to the brim as usual to enable a MPG check. Took 42.56 Litres of RON's finest 95 and the trip showing 222.8 miles since last fill up. This gave a figure of 23.77 MPG.

Yes, low but, time of year and used mainly for short runs where the engine does not get fully warmed in this cold weather I am pleased. Similar calculations in previous winters sometimes saw the consumption drop into 19.** MPG. This latest calculation includes several acceleration runs up to the speed limit on full boost.

So has the REDEX played a part here. Jury still out but one thing is most certain. Car drives much nicer now.

·
Premium Member
rover_600
119 Posts
Found a couple of hours to investigate misbehaving central locking as it had been locking/unlocking whilst driving along recently.

and it was a sunny day today, nice and warm.

Dropped drivers door panel off and then undid the 2 connectors to the drivers latch mech, locking ok them, only locked/unlocked on demand....

found new drivers door mech inc servo on Rimmers earlier this week in clearance so bought it just in case.

Didn't need it in the end, disconnected/connected connectors a few times, cleaned contacts up and everything seems ok.

So fitted some noise deadener to the door skin whilst there, lubed the window rubber runners and cut a new piece of polythene to line the door with (old one had gone AWOL).

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,458 (Edited)
Found a couple of hours to investigate misbehaving central locking as it had been locking/unlocking whilst driving along recently.

and it was a sunny day today, nice and warm.

Dropped drivers door panel off and then undid the 2 connectors to the drivers latch mech, locking ok them, only locked/unlocked on demand....

found new drivers door mech inc servo on Rimmers earlier this week in clearance so bought it just in case.

Didn't need it in the end, disconnected/connected connectors a few times, cleaned contacts up and everything seems ok.

So fitted some noise deadener to the door skin whilst there, lubed the window rubber runners and cut a new piece of polythene to line the door with (old one had gone AWOL).
Well done GingerStu ... that's the kind of attention to detail TLC which make these cars ever more reliable and a nice place to be. Like my Rover 620ti which runs superbly and is reasonably economical when I use some will power and self-restraint with that addictive turbo boost from the loud pedal...had it for fourteen years now and cosmetically it has been neglected, now showing a few too many minor battle scars.

I plan to get a quote from a car body repair and restoration outfit in Frampton-on-Severn which I have been using occasionally for over thirty years for bodywork repairs to my own and family owned cars. Repair and respray. It will be worth it. The car is that good.

I was reminded how good on Tuesday as I used it for a quick blast up and down the M5 to Birmingham to collect two small Cabinets my wife had won on ebay. G-Plan and look like new she was well pleased. I tend to rotate the use of my cars as lack of use ~ have been using my MG ZT-T a lot lately ~ can cause problems so a good run gets the fluids beneficially moving where they should be.

·
Premium Member
rover_streetwise
26 Posts
Back brake pads replaced today and a quick clean up of surfaces whilst I was in there.

Next up, sort out the power steering leak from the high pressure pipe - should be 'fun'

1441 - 1460 of 1493 Posts