MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I hope someone could help me figuring out what is going on with my car, a Rover 25 2.0 TD, 2001.

Last weekend I installed a new stereo and probably because all the tests, in the day after, battery was flat.

I tried to jump started with another car and if failed. I guess the battery was really really flat. I charged for some minutes, tried to jump start again and the car started fine.

However, since then, the radiador fan kicks in for no reason, as soon as I put the key in 1st or 2nd position (I don't remember exactly which). Even with the car really cold.

I drove to the workshop to see if they could have any tip what about was going on, and when I was arriving there the fan kicked again and the idle was very dodgy. When I turned off the car, the car didn't turn off right away, only 1 or 2 seconds after. This isn't normal.

We were trying to replicate the issue but we couldn't. What all we got was a brief fan kick but it turned off right away. I drove home and tried multiple times and once the fan kicked again at full blast. In another ocasion, the car didn't start. It was cracking but didn't start. Only at 3rd attempt. I got really scared because I had a history with the car didn't start due the fuel pump which I know are problematic.

However since then, it started fine and the fan didn't kick again, but I didn't tried a lot.

During the jump start process, I touched for a brief moment the two clamps together and it made a spark.

My thoughs, I damaged something, like ECU or something else. However, a few minutes ago I found this old post with the same fan issue, so this can't be a coincidence.

Right now the car is at the workshop and they will replace both temperature sensors, some relays and checks electric connections. One of the temperarure sensors connection sometimes makes a bad contact but it's the gauge one which I guess it shouldn't affect at all the ECU and/or the Fan and this is an "old" issue and it never caused something like this. Regarding the ECU sensor, unfortunately I didn't check the temperature it was showing when it happened (I have a Scangauge) but all other time the reading temperature is fine.

I ran diagnostics and it returned

P0562 Battery voltage low, signal out of range, too low
P0215 Solenoid valve shut off, signal out of range, too high

First is for sure related with the battery going flat. The second I have no idea. I never saw that error before and it didn't came up again after driving the car for some time.

What caught my attention was the fact other user had exactly the same issue with the fan after a jump start.

Is this a common issue? Could be the ECU making some adjustments or what?

I appreciate some help because right now I can't believe this could be a coincidence and in both cases a jump start damaged a temperature sensor.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,851 Posts
Can you check tailgate wiring loom as per this thread: Rover 200/25/MG ZR Tailgate Wiring Loom inspection guide
If you have broken wires in tailgate you should repair them first and then see if problem will happen again. Broken wires in tailgate can cause whole lot of problems.

·
Registered
rover_25
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you check tailgate wiring loom as per this thread: Rover 200/25/MG ZR Tailgate Wiring Loom inspection guide
If you have broken wires in tailgate you should repair them first and then see if problem will happen again. Broken wires in tailgate can cause whole lot of problems.
Thanks for the tip,

I haven't the car with me, but I will call them or go there to talk with them about it. It will not hurt to check it.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
462 Posts
Hi, I had exactly this problem but with AC motor running as well. I tried to isolate the problem and it appeared to be a bad connection problem at the blue water temp sensor. Never jump start your as it may upset the alarm or alternator. Check that already suggested.

If there is no wiring problem the mechanic will note that if the blue sensor [two pin] is removed the fans will come on and stay on when the engine ignition is switched on then off. The fans only stop once the plug is relocated.

Also check the main relay found in the engine bay fuse box. This may have been shorted and is sticking.

If forced to jump start with a helper battery connect the positive cable to the battery and the other to the body. I take off the engine cover on my diesel and use the engine as the earth. Wait a couple of minutes before trying to start the helper car to give time for your car battery to normalise.

It sounds weird but works well as the helper battery appears to give a your car battery a chance to start recharge. Never crank with a flat battery as this causes the car battery stress. Invest in a intelligent charger or booster pack it is worth the money.
hop this helps

·
Registered
rover_25
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips.

Next time if the battery goes flat, I will follow your advice. I have an intelligent charger but since I needed the car at the time and that charger takes a lot to recharge the battery (it's 0.8A), I jump started, but I should be quiet and waited a while.

Car is still at mechanic and I told him about all these critical points like the blue temperature sensor, main relay and tailgate wiring loom but I think he didn't start to check it yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts