MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a Rover 45 TD 02 plate that I may have inadvertently caused an issue with ECU after a jump start on a low battery I am thinking from other threads on the forum.

I had various dashlights out and the rev counter needle jumping when turning ignition on. I took the battery off and fully charged back to normal but still the same behaviour. I then earthed the ECU body to car with a jump lead and all lights and rev counter are now back to normal and glow plug light comes on and off as normal.

I now however hear a very weak attempt to start but the starter motor is not bursting into life as would normally hear and seems to struggle and does not have the power to start.

It seems a step forward with the ECU Earth suggested fix and the correct dashlights but hasn't quite been able to start, is there anything else I could try ?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
rover_45
524 Posts
The ECU requiring an additional earth connection is usually caused by shorting out the positive battery terminal to the ECU when jump starting, disconnecting or reconnecting the battery or similar which vaporises an internal ECU earth.

The lack of starter motor power suggests a poor electrical connection to the starter motor - either directly from the battery or more probably a poor engine earth connection - there should be an earth direct from the battery to the gearbox. Also check the body earth connection (battery to bonnet slam panel just in front of the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Yes sadly i can only think the ECU touched a jump lead or the battery terminal when battery removed. I will re-check the engine earth and the power to starter today and see if I can narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to check the temporary earth from ecu to the slam panel I had connected and noticed it was warm after trying to turn over the engine. I tried a temporary additional earth directly to the engine but this did not appear to make a difference and am still struggling to get the starter to turn, not quite clicks but a low power turn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks looks like there is power going to solenoid and starter but not enough to turn over, guess the starter could be kaput

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swapped the battery and tried again but still not enough power at starter, I'm thinking something could have gone on the starter with the jump starting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have removed the starter and tested this off the car and the solenoid and starter motor appear to be functioning but the starter motor does appear to be hot when bench tested. Earth's to the gearbox and slam panel appeared to be fine when checked with multimeter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swapped the starter motor and sadly experiencing same behaviour so I ran a jump lead cable from the negative to the engine block and get the engine turning over but won't start. I'm wondering if this is the ECU..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ECU requiring an additional earth connection is usually caused by shorting out the positive battery terminal to the ECU when jump starting, disconnecting or reconnecting the battery or similar which vaporises an internal ECU earth.

The lack of starter motor power suggests a poor electrical connection to the starter motor - either directly from the battery or more probably a poor engine earth connection - there should be an earth direct from the battery to the gearbox. Also check the body earth connection (battery to bonnet slam panel just in front of the battery.
Hi finally got to the bottom of the issue and although the engine earth appeared fine, the strap had corroded inside and this was replaced. Also the battery although was charging to full when running a full diagnostic battery test was not in best condition so this will be replaced. Both these items plus a hefty van jump start managed to get the 45 back to life. What didn't help was also the ancillaries had seized slightly with lying idle so this was taking even more power to get started. Thanks all for assistance with this one.

(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts