MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Rover 45 heating has suddenly decided to only do cold or hot and nothing in between. I suspected it’s the heater resistor. The problem is that the heater resistors I see online are nothing like what’s in my car. I think from what I could find out my one is called a “facelift”. But to replace that one is ridiculous money compared to the other ones. So my question is can I change to the normal three coil resistor instead?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,680 Posts
If I understood correctly you have ATC with automatic A/C. If this is the case, no you cannot just replace with coil resistors. If you wish to do so, you would need to replce complete ATC system and do rewireing of the blower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understood correctly you have ATC with automatic A/C. If this is the case, no you cannot just replace with coil resistors. If you wish to do so, you would need to replce complete ATC system and do rewireing of the blower.
Thank you. Yes the car had air conditioning but it had never worked from the time I bought the car.
I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and pay for the expensive part.
I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I go buy that expensive part, would you say my assessment is right that it is in fact this part that is the reason I am only getting full hot or full cold and nothing in between?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,680 Posts
Before I go buy that expensive part, would you say my assessment is right that it is in fact this part that is the reason I am only getting full hot or full cold and nothing in between?
It is dificult for me to confirm you without hesitation that replacement will solve the problem because I ATC system is not so common and do not have wast experiance with it.
However, I would suggest you to contact Paul at Technozen Electronics here: Rover 45 / MG ZS Climate Control Repairs Paul is much more experienced regarding potential faults, very easy to communicate and helpful, and in regafd that you need to repair something prices will be much more better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is dificult for me to confirm you without hesitation that replacement will solve the problem because I ATC system is not so common and do not have wast experiance with it.
However, I would suggest you to contact Paul at Technozen Electronics here: Rover 45 / MG ZS Climate Control Repairs Paul is much more experienced regarding potential faults, very easy to communicate and helpful, and in regafd that you need to repair something prices will be much more better.
Thank you again. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
rover_45
527 Posts
The heater resistor generally controls fan (& therefore air) speed - it should not directly affect air temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heater resistor generally controls fan (& therefore air) speed - it should not directly affect air temperature.
Any idea what WOULD cause my heating only having a high and low setting? The fan speed is fine.

·
Registered
rover_45
527 Posts
I'm not familiar with climate control systems but I expect there is a motor or actuator driven mixer flap to control air temperature (possibly with a coolant valve as well). I would expect that there is a fault with either the actuators or more likely the controller (you are getting fully hot or fully cold air so that would suggest that the temperature control mechanisms are connected correctly & can move)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not familiar with climate control systems but I expect there is a motor or actuator driven mixer flap to control air temperature (possibly with a coolant valve as well). I would expect that there is a fault with either the actuators or more likely the controller (you are getting fully hot or fully cold air so that would suggest that the temperature control mechanisms are connected correctly & can move)
Thank you. I’m going to investigate more. I really appreciate the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts