MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is well?
This is my 3rd post. I am currently doing a light restoration on a 2005 45 GSi.
Does anyone know where i can get a roof headliner for a 2005 model? Mine has dropped at the front completely and i have 2 'bubble' drops in the rear.
Looking for a new one or a good 2nd hand one. Preferably in grey.
Would older model liners fit?
Rimmer Bros sight say its obsolete.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to locate one?
Many thanks.
Mark.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,190 Posts
It is highly unlikely that there are any new ones about anywhere - they are the sort of part that was very rarely required and would have been ordered in from XPart only when one was needed. They have been 'No Longer Available' from XPart for a long time now.

Your only possible source is a used one from a breaker, but these will be of similar age to yours (or older), and unless the car it is from has been garaged for most of its life, it is likely that it will sag similarly within a short time (it is the exposure to heat when in the sun that causes the layer of foam backing on the headliner material to eventually break down and crumble, and this is why it comes away from the fibreglass 'biscuit' that is shaped to the roof contour).

The best solution is to remove the entire headlining, take off the material and clean the residue of foam and adhesive from the fibreglass and recover it yourself. A number of people on these forums have done this, and it is not that difficult to do - replacement material of a similar type and colour can be got from automotive upholstery suppliers (and even off ebay!), and it can be stuck with a suitable spray adhesive (ensure that you use an adhesive which is resistant to high temperatures, or it will fail as soon as the roof gets hot in the sun!).

I am not sure if the older bubble 400 ones fit or not, but I would think it is possible as they are the same body shell, and I am not sure if they are different for saloon vs hatchback either?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying so quickly.
I will have a look around for new material I think.
And thanks for the tip on the heat resistant adhesive.
The job looks pretty straight forward.
Just a massive prep to make sure it's done correctly.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts