MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys finally got my 25 going not too long ago
few issues with the exhaust (had a couple of holes and a silly aftermarket muffler for a different car XD)

but my dad was driving it one afternoon (even so i said not to cause he may brake it - which he did)
he says he thinks the clutch has gone but after inspection the clutch has plenty of material on it and the pressure plate probably still good

any ideas on problems?
if it'd be easier i may save up a bit for a 1.8 gearbox and new clutch (currently have a 1.6 but i plan on beefing it up a bit)

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,724 Posts
What were the symptoms? A worn clutch is usually clutch slip.
I assume you looked at the plates with an endoscope or the like, rather than taking it out.
Did you check the clutch cable as well?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no clutch what so ever
dont own a endoscope, took the whole gearbox out
the cable has gone once before. dad fixed it tho i believe
what are the sizes of the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing i may just cash out for new ones
my dad is currently looking for local ones but they tend to be slightly used

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,724 Posts
Have a look here for a 25 clutch. Not sure which gearbox you have and clutches may differ between the IB5 and earlier R65 gearboxes, so best to check before buying. DMGRS are usually knowledgeable about their products...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the 2000 rover 25 1.6 petrol
mark 1 i believe
my dad has managed to source a second hand one and well try that out

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,724 Posts
Fitting 2nd hand clutches doesn't normally make sense with the work involved. But from your 'flag' you are in the Falkland Islands, so 8000 miles away for the UK? Hopefully it's a good one!

The link is when I did one. It has a link to a useful tutorial in it as well...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the clutch was pretty new actually
the engine had a timing belt slip i believe and the pistons got smashed so we got the engine and clutch parts
swapped the flywheel, friction plate and pressure plate.
we can feel in the pedal that its engaging. but we dont know if its slipping or the gearbox is gone because theres no drive to the wheels
we started it, put it in gear reved it, no drive
went through all the gears and no drive in none of them.
so we're assuming we need a new gearbox

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was thinking about a new gearbox and was looking at the old one and noticed that theres a stock diff not a lsd diff and im thinking - "cant do burnouts with one wheel spinning" is there anywhere i can get a box with a lsd in it?

·
Registered
rover_25
299 Posts
was thinking about a new gearbox and was looking at the old one and noticed that theres a stock diff not a lsd diff and im thinking - "cant do burnouts with one wheel spinning" is there anywhere i can get a box with a lsd in it?
quaiffe sell a diff, about £900 and the rovers wont do burnouts anyway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts