MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1141 - 1147 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,141
The vinyl for the headliner has arrived!

So that's me sorted for some Easter weekend entertainment then
:thumbup

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,142
Today I made a tentative start on the headliner. It turns out it was a case of one step forward, two steps back I am afraid.

When I fully unwrapped the vinyl, I found that both colours had beep creases in them from the folding at the suppliers and the associated transportation.

I phoned the supplier to ask for some help and advice, which was to either try an iron on a low setting and/or a steamer. We have both of those, so I tried both - sadly neither worked well enough to give me confidence to proceed. So after another call to the supplier it was agreed that they would send me replacements, but this time on a roll - which is how I had assumed it would be supplied the first time to be honest...

Anyway, so now I am waiting for the vinyl again - fingers crossed it show up before next weekend, but I am not betting on it. Disappointing, but worse things happen at sea.

I then decided that I could at least prepare the rod pockets, so that's what I did.

First cut the strips a bit longer than you know you will need - you can always shorten them! I think I only need four, but I cut five as I know that I am bound to mess one up along the way
:lol:

Then fold them edge to edge and run it through the sewing machine:

Eventually, you should end up with them all looking a bit like this:

Enjoy your weekend everyone

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This is one of the problems with Mail Order. I used to use vinyl to make costume props. I used a local Drapers who sold vinyl that was on rolls. I never had your problem. Sadly. The shop has gone and they're Mail Order only.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,675 Posts
This is one of the problems with Mail Order. I used to use vinyl to make costume props. I used a local Drapers who sold vinyl that was on rolls. I never had your problem. Sadly. The shop has gone and they're Mail Order only.
Gonna be a lot of that after the pandemic... :confused:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,145
Disappointingly, the replacement headliner material didn't show up before Easter, but that wasn't a big surprise I guess.

The good news is that these little guys did:

Yes a set of brand new, genuine GM front mudflaps with all original fittings and instructions - incredible really. All mine, sent over from sunny Cyprus.

That will give me a little bit of Cav work this weekend.

Not forgetting that I also have my Daughters Mini to work on - replacing the damages panels: Front bumper, Bonnet and Tailgate - all sourced in the correct colour: Cosmos Black Metallic for just £115
:)

It wasn't that the ones fitted were rotten or anything, they were just 'cosmetically challenged' and generally letting the car down.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I hope that the Easter Bunny doesn't let you down

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Keep the paper behind a glass: it looks like a very piece of history! (y)

Reactions: IanMc
1141 - 1147 of 1147 Posts