MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1121 - 1124 of 1124 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Today I summoned up enough courage to venture out into the freezing, baron wilderness that is our garage at the moment..

I promised myself that I wouldn't go back indoors until the glove box was lined with stretch carpet and the inside of the door was reattached.

Rater than trying to form four sides from one piece of flat carpet, I decided to do each side, then the back face and bottom/floor in a single piece.

As usual, start by cutting out your material:







Then back at the car, spray both surfaces with yopur upholstery adhesive of choice and leave it for a few minutes to start to dry a bit:







Then work your way around the glove box adding a bit of carpet at a time:









After snapping the inside of the door back in place, you should end up with something like this:







I noticed after I had taken my phone indoors that there was some spray adhesive to clean off and one small area on the front right of the base to add some more adhesive to as it looks like it lifted as I was trimming it. So those things were done without photographic evidence I am afraid.

Perhaps that might give someone else an idea or two, it should certainly quieten down anything in the glove box if it decides to start moving around while driving. Small things I know, but it was damn cold our there!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123
Thanks to the kindness of a member of the Opel Manta Owners Club, who sent me his coupe headliner, today I was able to make a small start on this project.

Using a large cardboard box (I thought that cardboard would be more stable over a longer period), I placed the headliner over it:







Then using my dress making pins, I pinned the headliner to the cardboard at regular intervals. You can see the small, round coloured heads in this photo:







Then I marked out the various holes for the interior light, sun visors, grab handle etc:







Then finally I simply drew around the headliner to get the overall shape and sizes onto the cardboard. As you will see, I made various notes as I went, for example marking the positions of the seams:







Thankfully, it all looks quite symmetrical, so it should be OK. I can now get this all measured up and look at ordering some materials.

I will still probably add another 20 mm or so all round to allow for any possible errors etc, just to be on the safe side. Naturally, it will be easy to cut off whats not needed, but not the reverse!

Note!

As Jess's car had a sunroof, I took the opportunity to mark this on my template as well. By the way, my intention is to make this template available to anyone that wants it - either in some kind of electronic format (although I don't know what or how at this point
:lol:
), or simply by loaning it out to people to use for the same purpose. After all, its things like this that owners clubs are for...

I hope that this template might help somebody else in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
A couple of small steps forward on the headliner project over the last few days:

1) I have now sourced and received a better material to make for the cross rod sleeves.

2) Today I ordered three samples of headliner material (White, Ivory and Black). I cant quite decide whether to go for White, which I think was the main colour originally, or use he Ivory, which is what it has discoloured to now... The Black goes in the centre section and highlights where the roll over bar is positioned.

I'm tending towards the White, but will make the final call once the samples arrive.
 
1121 - 1124 of 1124 Posts
Top