Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
Managed to get a few bits and bobs done yesterday:

- After receiving the fused relay for the rear fog light conversation (please see above), I got the wiring finished up. That all looks good and the light works beautifully, so I am pleased with that.

• After having the bottom of the drivers side of the dash off, I washed 40 years of dirt and dust off the back of those.
  • Fitted the (repaired - see above also) top and bottom steering/ignition cowls.

- Modified the back of the fuse cover, so you can actually read it lol - I highlighted the numbers with White Tippex, then taped a piece of paper over the (German) text, so I don’t have to use Google Translate, try to remember what each fuse is for, or carry the manual around with me.

All very minor things, but they just make life a little easier.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,064
Apologies, I forgot to take some photos at the weeeknd.

Here is the fog lamp switch installed:

And the modified rear light viewed from the boot. There is only really the blue wire that says that shows that this is not standard:

And finally my quick bodge on the back of the fuse cover:

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065
My next mini project is: The inside of boot space tidy up/revamp.

Frankly its a complete mess in there and I hate even opening the lid to look inside
:lol:

The next few photos show you exactly what I mean...

I had simply intended to fit a carpet and leave it at that, but I feel it needs much more. For starters, I have ordered a cover/storage bag for the spare wheel - this is hardl;y an atractive item to see when you open the boot...

So, to kick off the project I decided to break myself in easily and take a look at the light. As suspected, it was grubby, dusty and had corroded terminals and a cruddy bulb. The next photo show what I ended up with after a few minutes of cleaning:

This was the bulb that came out - unbelievably it was working nicely:

After rummaging through my endless collection of spare bulbs... does everyone have enough for 25 spare cars by the way, or is it just me?! - I found these:

Convinced I must have an LED equivalent somewhere I kept looking, and eventually found this:

I toddled back off to the garage and fitted everything up, then decided to test the two bulb types to compare the light output:

Conventional bulb:

LED bulb:

I think that the LED wins the day, it just seems a cleaner, more natural light to me. So I have left that in the car.

I am now thinking of a few ways to make the boot appear to be a little more 'modern' when you open the lid. My thinking is that this will also increase the sound insulation too, but that will be just a happy byproduct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't look too bad in there as they are normally rusted out! I would paint the sound insulation on the boot floor black to tidy it up and then create a template in paper and cut out a new carpet. Black faced Hardura Felt is the correct stuff for a Mk1 Cavalier boot mat.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067
The boot liner kit has arrived. I ordered a 3 x 2 M section of stretch carpet and 2 cans of adhesive for just under £30 delivered. I could have bought a bit cheaper, but I went on recommendation/review in the end. The adhesive had some good reviews due to its max. temperature rating (120 deg. C).

The carpet is actually a little thicker than I expected, which is pleasing:

I've got a small mountain of work to clear this week, so it will almost certainly be the weekend now before I even look at it all again.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068
This morning I did some prep work for the mini boot space lining project.

First job was to remove the two centre bumper mount bolts and their large washers, then both rear light clusters, the boot lid latch and then peel back the boot seal as far as necessary:

As I have decided to go with a Black stretch carpet liner, I wanted the bolt heads to be colour coordinated too. So a dash of paint was applied to all of these fasteners:

I decided to start with the largest and most complex part of the boot space, which is the rear panel. As you will see from the above photo, there will be plenty of stretching and cutting to do on this piece to get it to look anything like OK... Then I cut a piece of the stretch carpet to roughly the right size:

To be continued...

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,069
Got a little bit done on the boot space liner project.

The stretch carpet is now fitted to the rear panel:

And also to the N/S quarter and upright:

Obviously it will all need a really good hoover afterwards, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
Oh, almost forgot - the cheapenese spare wheel cover showed up the other day:

ecEZaoc.jpg?1

fwcyIY8.jpg

Cant really complain for less than £4

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
Last night I managed to get the Drivers side quarter and upright lined:

Then I decided to finish the job off, the petrol tank card would like good in the same material - plus of course it would then all follow round nicely. Here it is after I covered it and cut out the fixing holes:

I probably wont fit it back in just yet as I want to keep as much of the area clear as possible to allow me to make a template for the carpet that I will eventually fit.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072
A little bit of pottering about last night.

Got the rear lights installed - managed to find the fixing holes easily through the carpet. The added the bumper mounting screws etc. Te photos are pretty useless to be honest, but it gives you some idea how the painted screw heads look againat the carpet. of course, I managed to take a lot of the paint off again as I was doing them all up

Then I rubbed down a painted the spare wheel retaining strap, toothed, tensioner 'thing'. It had surface rust on it and I couldn't bear the thought of using that again as it was frankly:

Brace yourself for El Scorchio today people - take care, stay safe.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Morning all,

A nice early start to the day. After my usual hour long walk, I decided to try to finish up the boot lining for the Cav.
Just to remind you, this is what we started with:

Apologies for the strange lack of focus on the last last photo...

And now we have this:

And it all cost 2p under £30 - quite pleased with that I have to say.

Have a nice day and a great weekend everyone
:thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Morning all,

A nice early start to the day. After my usual hour long walk, I decided to try to finish up the boot lining for the Cav.
Just to remind you, this is what we started with:

Apologies for the strange lack of focus on the last last photo...

And now we have this:

And it all cost 2p under £30 - quite pleased with that I have to say.

Have a nice day and a great weekend everyone
:thumbup
looks fantastic as does the rest of the car(y)

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075
Just in case there was ever any doubt that my headliner needs replacing - see here:
:rolleyes:

On a brighter note, today I summoned up the courage to walk into the Post Office in town. The result of that is the Cav is now officially MOT and Road tax exempt. Happy days.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076
I needed to pop into work this evening to collect something, so my Son and I decided to take the Cav - well why not?!

She ran really well and showed a great turn of speed, which certainly surprised our Son. He had his phone connected to the BT of the cheapo head unit, so we had some new school tunes coming out of the old school car lol

In the end we covered about 20 miles - most enjoyable. Here she is during the brief pit stop at the office:

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079
Now the car is seemingly up and running, I am now going to turn my attention to the smaller details that are bugging the life out of me...

You all know about my intention to replace the headliner, but that will probably be an Autumn/Winter project, as sweating my whatsits off in a tin car in the Summer is not my idea of fun

So the first of those 'fill in' jobs was the N/S headlight. Ever since I refurbished it a couple of years ago, my lack of patience has stared back at me. I am talking about reassembling it using Black adhesive/sealant to attach the from glass. Here it is after putting it back together:

It didn't occur to me at the time just how clear and obvious the Black was going to be... Add to that my impatience and desire to finish something and I continue and let it dry - big mistake. So it was time to right that wrong.
After removing the lamp, I stripped off the majority of the old Black sealant to end up with this:

This is the seam as viewed from the front that hopefully will look way better once finished:

I am collecting some clear sealant/adhesive from Screwfix later that should do the trick. Naturally I will show you all how it ended up.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,080
As I am still working from home, I was able to get a bit more done at lunchtime. I collected the adhesive/sealer - I went for this one, purely on the basis that I recognised and trusted the name/brand:

Whacked it all around the join line, then pushed it in and smoothed it out with the trim tool you can see in the photo:

The next photo is a close up of one side after adding the sealer, its not too obvious though as it is so clear lol

Now we wait until its dry and see if the glass stays attached I guess

1061 - 1080 of 1091 Posts