MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1075 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
Good morning everyone,

Quite a productive morning so far. I got the trims removed from the Driver door and front wing, then wet sanded everything, then on with the compounding. This what we now have:

The lack of width in my garage makes it quite difficult to show reflections, but you can just about get the idea.

This afternoon I hope to refit the side trim strips and give it all a little coat of wax.

Have a great weekend all.
:thumbup

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043
Trim strips refitted and a coat of wax - shiny, shiny!
:)

Have a nice evening everyone.

Reactions: Dorchester

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045
Today's mini project - the rear parcel shelf speakers.

Once again, sincere thanks to Robah (Rob) a member of the OMOC for his generosity by giving me a pair of original GM speaker pods. I wanted to fit these to make the car a little more authentic and a little less 'in your face' - which is how it felt with the previously fitted enormous Pioneer ones.

Rob had already told me that he thought that the original speakers might be a little tired, so we investigated. The top covers are held in place with snap fixings and a simple turn of a screwdriver gets you inside:

As you can see, Rob was right:

After looking at a few speaker reviews, these guys seem to fair pretty well, and at £35 a pair delivered, they seemed good value too:

As luck would have it, they were a perfect fit in the existing pod and I didn't even have to drill any new retaining holes:

I was even able to reuse the GM mini wiring loom too - it couldn't have been any easier quite frankly:

Here you can see the internal connections and these are thoughtfully recessed on the back too:

Upon removing the parcel shelf itself, I was reminded that it was warped in a couple of areas on the edge nearest the glass, presumably cased by damp/water at some point when the car was standing for 18-20 years...

I will come back to that later...
Position the speaker pods (I put might so that they would cover the existing holes and cover one strange random hole...) and mark through - I used a wooden skewer I found in the kitchen draw lol. Then drill your holes to suit:

I decided that as the speaker pods have little weight they only really needed a small retaining method, so opted for short screws through the parcel shelf. The 2 x screw holes in the pods themselves are masked by the top covers when fitted. Here you can see the screws that I chose and how far they stick through:

Just to make sure that they would be scratching around on the metal of the parcel shelf underneath, I chose to glue some rubber grommets over the exposed screw threads:

With the speakers now attached to the shelf, I decided to tackle the warped edge. Assuming that water had caused it to warp, I thought that maybe water might help me solve the problem too?
I therefore may the back of the shelf quite damp and then clamped a length of electrical conduit along using whatever clamps I could quickly lay my hands on:

We will see what we have once that has dried out and then I plan to use some cleaner on the facing surface of parcel shelf itself to try to revive it a little.
As I didn't want to have to speaker cable running directly under the rear seat, then running under the parcel shelf board, I followed to main wiring loom into the boot space, then drilled holes into the Steel of the parcel shelf. These holes correspond exactly with the holes in the parcel shelf board. Then rubber grommets were used and the ends of the cables prepared:

Once the board has dried out, I will refit that and make the final speaker connections.
I hope that all helps somebody else at some point?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
I'm looking forward to you getting it outside and some decent full length photos!

What's the plans for after flatting back the paint?
Yes indeed - me too.

After the paint jobs, I need to design, make and fit a boot carpet.

Then the last big job is to sort out a new headliner... That involves removing the front and rear screen again.... oh joy lol

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,544 Posts
Then the last big job is to sort out a new headliner... That involves removing the front and rear screen again.... oh joy lol
Any specific reason why you did not do that while screens were out?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049
Managed to grab some time during my lunch break today.

Good news the water and clamp bodge seems to have worked and the edge of the parcel shelf board is fairly straight again:

After refitting the pod top covers, a quick spruce up with some dashboard cleaner has it looking a good deal fresher than it was:

And back in the car and connected up - sounds great too!

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,544 Posts
(y) (y)

I was thonking, with front seats out, could it be possible to remove headlining without removing screens? Removing screens in order to replace headlining seems way overmto me ...
Is headlining flexible at all or it is so rigid you cannot flex it to pass through doors?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,051
After watering the front garden and walking back down the driveway, I noticed that somebody had dumped this in my garage:

The cheek of it!
:lol:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,052
(y) (y)

I was thonking, with front seats out, could it be possible to remove headlining without removing screens? Removing screens in order to replace headlining seems way overmto me ...
Is headlining flexible at all or it is so rigid you cannot flex it to pass through doors?
Possibly mate - I need to investigate further think.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,054
Fantastic job Ian. It's inspirational well done 👍
Thanks mate, much appreciated. The old girl has certainly come a long way in those two and a half years.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
I needed to get to something in the garage earlier, so rather than risk it falling on the car I decided to roll it out. This seemed like a good opportunity to take a few quick photos.

As I walked around it, I found about a dozen other little jobs that I now want to do - as you do...

Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
If any of you are unfortunate to be anything like me (God save you if you are lol), you will be unlucky enough to be a combination of clumsy and stupid - not a great combination...
:lol:

Ages ago I used either the wrong size of screws or too much strength (not normally one of my gifts) and broke off the plastic tube mount inside the top steering column/ignition barrel shroud - Doh!

Thankfully I was able to pick up a spare from our friendly neighborhood spares man (Mr Carlos) to get me out of trouble. One thing that noticed though that they all seem to have at least one of the little locating pegs broken off. This photo shows a good locating peg:

Needing something to occupy my mind and to get the two parts aligned properly, I got to thinking about how I could make a couple of new pegs for mine. The answer: a cocktail stick - it was just the right size.
First I filed flat what was left of the broken pegs and then drilled using a dia. 1.5 mm bit. Next I open that up with a 2.5 mm bit. A little drop of glue was added to the holes, then the two lengths of stick were pushed in:

Next put a mark on the pegs to the length that you want, which for the record is 4.5 mm.

Then obviously cut off the sticks. I then added a tiny chamfer to the end of each stick with some sand paper, just to help them find the corresponding hole on the other cover.
As I am a bit of a tart, I decided that I had to paint them as well, so added some black touch in paint that I had lying around:

For the record, its the two pegs furthest away that I have replaced.

Before I added the paint, I check that everything lines up and it does perfectly

Perhaps this little bodge might help somebody else one day?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,060
A little bit of progress today. Thanks to an excellent guide on the Opel Manta Owners Club, I managed to adapt the Drivers side reflector to a working fog lamp.

I am just waiting for a fused relay to arrive, then I can tidy up the wiring properly and push the switch back in the dash etc.

1041 - 1060 of 1075 Posts