MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021
This morning I decided to make a bit of a start on the roof. This is our starting point prior to any wet sanding - a little dusty and definitely a bit 'flat' too:

Hopefully I can post some photos by the middle of the week to show you how it ended up.

Have a nice day everyone.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,023
I found some time this evening to finish wet sanding the roof, then wet over it a couple of times with the G3 compound - not too shabby now really...

Have a nice evening everyone.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,024
This weekend I plan to start wet sanding and compounding the bonnet. This is my starting point:

In this photo, you can see just how flat it is when compared to the wing top next to it:

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025
Morning all,

Its a glorious day down here in Essex and I'm off work today - hooray!
:)
:thumbup
This inspired me to do some more work on the bonnet of the Cav. After some wet sanding/flatting, it was onto the G3 compound.

Now we have this:

The last photo was a bit weird - I think the combination of the overhead fluorescent tubes and the sunshine outside through the phone camera into some strange mode. Having said all that, this is probably the photo that best shows the finish obtained.

I'm now feeling quite proud of my £100 all up respray
:lol:

Have a great day everyone.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
It realy looks good and shiney!
Thank you my friend.
So now I just need to do the Drivers side front wing, door and rear quarter and the car will be completely wet flatted, compounded and polished - cant wait!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,028
I made a little start on the Drivers side rear quarter this evening.

Popped off the trip strips and the retaining clips, then set to it with the 600 grit first.

The middle and the middle right section of the second photo shows the nasty drips/curtaining that I have to deal with first...

Should keep me out of trouble for a couple of evenings
:lol:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the "after" picture of that rear quarter, I remember when you did the spray job I thought "I hope he flats that back at some point" - and now my wishes are being fulfilled :D

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
I'm looking forward to seeing the "after" picture of that rear quarter, I remember when you did the spray job I thought "I hope he flats that back at some point" - and now my wishes are being fulfilled :D
Stand by Sir!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,031
Good morning everyone, I hope that you are all safe and well today?

I am pleased to report two things today:

1) I have successfully managed to wet sand all of those nasty runs out of the paint, primarily used 600 grit wet and dry paper:

This means that I can now start to work through the finer papers and then get this panel compounded. Fingers crossed, all should be fine now.

2) Following a recommendation by an Opel Manta Owners Club member, I have treated the old girl to a bottle of this:

To be honest, I have no idea if that will be enough for the car, but if it works as suggested, then I will happily invest in some more.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
Some nice progress this morning. The Drivers side rear quarter is now wet sanded and compounded - pretty pleased with that. Will put a bit of polish on there after lunch.

Have a nice afternoon everyone.

Reactions: Dorchester

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
Thanks guys, your kind words and encouragement are always appreciated. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I'm stunned & stuck: I couldn't have done the hundredth of what you did!
(y):love:

Reactions: IanMc
1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts