MG-Rover.org Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1047 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
So next we move on to the back seat back rest.

This is our starting point - as you can see the last 41 years have taken their toll slightly:

The job itself doesn't look too daunting at the moment though (famous last words!) as it seems that all four edges are simply retained and tensioned with (easily accessible) hog rings.

I have a hog ring tool and plenty of rings, so I am hoping this little section of the project wont take too long - provided I have enough material left of course...
:)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
Here is what I mean about the general assembly/fixing method:

Have a good day everyone
:thumbup

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
And after cutting off what feels like 3,000 hog rings, but is only about 30... you will be left with something like this:

Let the stitch ripping begin!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #985
Last night I managed to get all of the stitching completed on the rear seat back rest:

Hopefully I can get it fitted back over the frame/foam later on today to see how it fits...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #986
I am pleased to report it fits and looks fairly presentable too - well in my opinion anyway
:lol:

Have a nice evening everyone

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #987
Now we move on to the last part of the seat project - namely the base of the rear seat:

I'm not worried about doing the job, but I am VERY worried that I might not have either enough Leatherette (for the front edge) or fabric for the main cover.... Oh well, best start measuring then.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Well I have done the easy bit

As you can see, I had some 'help' from Miss Lola...

Now its time to try to work out if I have enough materials to do this bit!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #990
OK - well good news and bad news ('sh) on the material front.

- the good news is that I just about have enough of the main (Brick coloured) fabric - phew!

- the not so good news is that I dont have enough Burgundy Leatherette for the front lower edge. However.... I have decided to use the off cuts that I have a create some stitched seam at the front of the seat to match to seam lines in the seat base and backrest. I think that I will get away with that and it saves all the hassle/worry of colour matching, waiting for delivery etc etc

This is what I am planning - you can see the proposed stitch lines in Black marker on the original item:

Enjoy your day everyone!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #992

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
I have made some progress with the rear seat base cover this week. I hope that today I can add the foam strips and the two hog ring rods to the underside, then we can see if it fits!

Have a good weekend everyone

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #994
Well, some good news - or perhaps its was just good luck
- it fits!

A bit of steam and a few smacks of the hand should see it fill out the corners etc a little better, but not too bad really

I will try to get it fitted later and then take a photo of that and to show the difference in the interior generally now.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #995
Oh and I nearly forgot - the top cat himself (Domino) was this afternoons Supervisor - note the jealous Lola in the background lol

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Everything is now bolted or slotted back in place and we now have this:

I'm kind of scared to sit on anything to be honest

At least they look a bit better than when I got the car
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #999
I had a couple of hours to spare for this afternoon, so I decided to consult my Cavalier 'To Do' list - which is an exceptionally long document

One of the things to do was to tidy up/recolour the Drivers side foot well kick panel. Looking around the garage, I noticed my pile of Leatherette off cuts from the seats - a plan was hatched...

So this is what I started with:

After stitching some bits and bobs together I cobbled a piece big enough to cover it and some upholstery adhesive was applied:

After a bit of drying time and some rough trimming, we have this:

At least it blends into the rest of the colour scheme I guess.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
Looks a bit tidier in that little corner.

981 - 1000 of 1047 Posts