MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Australia and I believe only 41 of these were ever imported here. I've recently bought one with front end damage as a project. My intention is to get it back on the road in as original condition as possible. I've taken heaps of photos of my progress so far. I can post photos of the process if there is enough interest,
let me know if you want to follow my journey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll need a need a new radiator and support. A new custom built radiator will cost me about 500 pound. I've bought the new panel 250 pounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old armature piece (or half of it anyway). I've got a new one already 150 pounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fully disassembled at last. I'll need to replace all the front pieces. It isn't going to be cheap! I've had to source parts from the UK, USA, NI etc as parts for this just aren't available in Australia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a new front piece from Rimmers but ordered the wrong one. No problem, I'll just cut the spot welds on the top of the new piece and re-weld on the old piece, luckily it survived. Cost for new piece 250 quid, one spot welder ( which I'll sell afterwards) 200 pounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the hold up. No panel beater will touch it, too fiddly and not enough profit in the job is my thinking. I've bought a Porta Power £150, Rail Saver £350 to try and do it myself but no luck so far. I'll sell all the tools after I've finished.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
463 Posts
View attachment 136501 I think I'll need a need a new radiator and support. A new custom built radiator will cost me about 500 pound. I've bought the new panel 250 pounds.
try to repair the radiator using 20 gauged copper mesh and a hot iron. melting the copper mesh into the plastic over the crack. If you have an old cambelt cover or even a water tank these are of poly prop plastic. I had a crack on the top tank when my head blew. I used this method as I [ am told ] have the only remaining Street TDI in South Africa, . Worked a dream for a year now with leaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try to repair the radiator using 20 gauged copper mesh and a hot iron. melting the copper mesh into the plastic over the crack. If you have an old cambelt cover or even a water tank these are of poly prop plastic. I had a crack on the top tank when my head blew. I used this method as I [ am told ] have the only remaining Street TDI in South Africa, . Worked a dream for a year now with leaks.
Thanks for the idea but I've already ordered the new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit like Frankenstein's monster but finally all together. Plastic welding, epoxy and staples. Now for final sand, bog and paint.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,724 Posts
A lot of work! In the uk you could usually pick one up from the scrappy and respray.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts