MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days, I used the product Renovo on my 23-year-old hood. I used the cleaner, the colourer and waterproofer.

After I had applied all three products, I read a load of criticism on the web from some who had used Renovo (there were also great reports) and I have to say some of the photos uploaded would make you cry. I thought what have I done? Anyway once the last product applied had dried, I took the car out into the sunlight to inspect. Perfect Job. Even black all over, no streaks and the same shade of black all over.

The key is (I think) to do what I did which is to apply all three products, in cool conditions (max 15 C), not in sunlight, plus during the drying process. The trouble with most garages is that they can get warm, even on overcast days or even cold days. Fortunately, my garage is underground so a constant 15 to 17 C. I applied outside in overcast conditions over three days (I was lucky) so I could see what I was doing but left the drying to be done in the garage in case it rained or the sun started to shine. I also left 24 hours between applying each product.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I used that product after applying a 'water-proofer' that stained/patched the hood. It looked like a new hood afterwards- I was very pleased with it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
421 Posts
Sounds a pleasing result.
As well as applying the solutions evenly, I think many start in the middle and work to the edge, then go around the other side and start from the middle again - by which time what you first applied to the middle has partially dried and you might get a ‘tide mark’.
I always start at an outer edge and work to the middle, then go around the other side and work from the (still wet) middle - to the other outer side.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started from the middle and worked out but I am sure your way will work just as well. Personally, I think the key is not to brush the liquid on when it is hot or even warm. Colder the better (as long as not below 2 C)

·
Registered
mg_tf
688 Posts
I've used it a couple of times. Really good stuff. However, if the colourant gets on your paint it will stain.
I unlatched the roof and put a dust sheet across the car, then closed the roof again. I did think it would keep all my paintwork protected, but in fact a couple of dribbles made it past the dust sheet, and of course I couldn't see them until I removed the cover. I believe it's known as 'user error'. Luckily my spills were inside the door shuts on a dark green car, so probably nobody but me has noticed them.
Black Renovo on a light coloured body panel would be unfortunate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts