MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to change their rear fog light unit? Someone kindly broke mine in a car park and I have the new unit but it looks like you may have to remove the entire bumper to change it! Any help gratefully received. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Has anyone had to change their rear fog light unit? Someone kindly broke mine in a car park and I have the new unit but it looks like you may have to remove the entire bumper to change it! Any help gratefully received. Thanks in advance
I think this type of repair is normally done using an above head height ramp or two-post garage lift as the fog light should just be held in with some screws.

It looks like that you'll need to un-clip the bottom rear silver/black rear diffuser in order to gain access to the inside face of the bumper.

The protruding plastic dowel type objects will be where you mount and screw in the lamp unit to the bumper.

The above pictures have been taken from eBay auctions with my red circles added for clarity.

Looking at the above, you may find it easier to remove the bumper but be very careful with any of the rear parking sensor cables (if any) as they might not have a lot of slack and it would be a shame to rip them off accidentally.

Cheers..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mattykan, thanks so much for your reply. Having attempted this without the benefit of a ramp or lift (and failed to get access to anything other than 1 of the 3 screws, I took it to my local (traditional, non-franchised) garage who did it for me this morning. They told me that as well as removing the whole bottom section of the rear they also had to remove the main steel bar (the actual working bumper behind all the plastic) to be able to 'just about' access the unit!! Luckily they only charged me £45 but who on earth designs such an inaccessible light????!!! Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Mattykan, thanks so much for your reply. Having attempted this without the benefit of a ramp or lift (and failed to get access to anything other than 1 of the 3 screws, I took it to my local (traditional, non-franchised) garage who did it for me this morning. They told me that as well as removing the whole bottom section of the rear they also had to remove the main steel bar (the actual working bumper behind all the plastic) to be able to 'just about' access the unit!! Luckily they only charged me £45 but who on earth designs such an inaccessible light????!!! Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Hi EV G-Man,

Thanks for the update, what makes it worse is how do you go about changing a burnt fog light bulb as I can't see the front face of the fog light being removeable.

I guess that this is the rear metal bar that the garage was referring to:

At least it's now been fixed.

Cheers..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for replacement rear lights as well. I have to get one this week so I could install it along with the parts that will be arriving with my wheel and tire package. I want to work on all the upgrades and replacements on my rig while I still have a lot of time to spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts