MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what radiator comes with the ZS 120? I was told recently that mine seems to be a 1.4 radiator taken out of a ZR and put in my ZS before i bought. Obviosuly cooling is super important on theese engines because of the dodgey headgaskets.
Also what is the different between the 2? will i need all new rad hoses and a new fan or is it just the radiator has more cores or somthing?
Thanks in advance
馃檪

Registered
rover_25
the reason they put the zr rad is because the zs rads are no longer avalible, you would have to either try and find second hand one (dont recommend) or get one made

Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
There used to be two different sizes of radiator for the 400/45/ZS - a smaller one was fitted to cars without air conditioning, and a wider, slimmer one fitted to cars with air conditioning fitted (I am pretty sure that the coolant capacity of the radiator is approximately the same). According to the 45/ZS parts catalogue, from serial number 644945 all models of 45/ZS were fitted with the wider version regardless.

As YG says, the smaller, fatter radiator is NLA and XPart now supply the smaller version of the 25/ZR radiator (they had two sizes available to suit air con and non-air con cars) as a genuine replacement for the 45/ZS as it is physically the same size/capacity as the small 45/ZS one was. I am not sure that there is any difference in the size of the rad itself or the cores/number of vanes.

If you are that concerned about the size of the rad and its cooling efficiency, you could swap to the larger slimmer radiator (the correct one for the ZS is still available from XPart and elsewhere), but I don't think it will have any great effect on cooling efficiency? You would probably also need to change the top and bottom hoses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts