MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Today the dash board light that lights up the Odometer / Total distance covered & Trip Recorder instrument on our 2002 Rover 75 sedan remains on when the ignition switch is turned off.

All other dash panel lights function normally. I have reset the Oil Service lights but that has not fixed the problem?

Am I looking at an 'EXPENSIVE' instrument panel replacement? Or is there a simply fixed that someone might be aware of?

I have my fingers crossed in the hope that someone can help me.

Regards

Carl
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2002 Black Rover Connoisseur S.E. 75 sedan

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A number of people , including me, have experienced this problem.

Cured by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and then reconnecting.

The cars computers will boot up from scratch and hopefully all will be well.

Similar to a Windows computer getting itself confused and perhaps locked up.
Switch off, have a coffee, restart machine.

Little bit of care needed in disconnecting battery.

Proceedure is:

Make sure you have radio code if you need it. Hi Line units with sat nav dont have coded radio.

1/ Open bonnet, boot and drivers door and leave open. Remove ignition key

2/ Make sure that Sat Nav in boot has powered down ie no red lights showing.

3/ Disconnect battery.

4/ Wait 15 minutes.

5/ Reconnect battery.

HTH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David,

Thank you sincerely for the advice. I followed your directions carefully and the problem is now fixed.

Thanks once again. I eally appreciated the help.

Regards

Carl
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2002 Black Rover Connoisseur S.E. 75 sedan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Odometer staying lite

Hi..
I have just experienced this problem but found a faster and easier solution..

removing the fuse via the fuse box for the same amount of seconds fixed the problem..

Just thought I would share

Thanks

·
Registered
rover_75
3 Posts
Hi..
I have just experienced this problem but found a faster and easier solution..

removing the fuse via the fuse box for the same amount of seconds fixed the problem..

Just thought I would share

Thanks
I have this problem right now and searching in Google I found this post. Although I can see that craighlr posted this message in 2009, I would like to ask if some could tell me which fuse number I need to remove in order to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
Edgar

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi,

Firstly, excellent advice all ... The resolution is to disconnect the battery for a while (or pull the main fuse).

However if it keeps on happening the cause is electrical and earth related, you do not need new clocks, - When it happened to me - it happened regularly and drove me to distraction.

2 Things cured it - Firstly I had a dodgy earth in the door pillar, there is a major earth connection in there, if it gets crudded up it starts to spark and problems result. This was cleaned up.

Secondly - The middle earth wire from the plug on the top of the middle cylinder front spark plug had snapped and was making either no or very poor connection, - TS Auto's found this and made a temporary repair (it's been working perfectly for a year), ideally I need a new engine wiring loom but if it works don't change a winner.

·
Registered
rover_75
3 Posts
Hi,
I could not wait to get an answer in regard to the fuse number, therefore when I got home yestarday I just followed the instructions above and disconnected the battery; after 15 min. the problem was solved. I hopped as well in that moment that perhaps this action would fix the other problem I have been experienced since one month ago. The window control on the driver’s side has mysteriously stopped working. At the beginning it worked only if I turned off the car and turned the starter switch. However, if I dared to start the car the window control did not work anymore. Nowadays, it does not work at all. I have read in other forums that one needs to clean or wash the connectors inside the window control. First of all I do not know if that statement is true, and second I do not know how to open the window control in order "wash" the connectors.
I know this is not the correct thread but since I am new in this forum I would like to ask if someone has experienced this problem before and what solutions I have. Any link or walkthrough would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Regards,
Edgar

·
Registered
rover_75
1 Posts
Fuses to pull

I really didn't want to disconnect the battery as I don't know the radio code. However I had this exact same problem. My solution was to pull all the fuses for the instrument pack. Those would be numbers 6, 10, 17 and 27. Then left for 10 - 15 mins before replacing. I have a hunch that just removing and replacing number 27 alone would do the job because the odometer finally went out when I pulled that one. Restarted the car later and all seems normal for now. (Year 2000 V6 Connoisseur model)

·
Registered
2004, MG ZT180
2 Posts
Hi,

Firstly, excellent advice all ... The resolution is to disconnect the battery for a while (or pull the main fuse).

However if it keeps on happening the cause is electrical and earth related, you do not need new clocks, - When it happened to me - it happened regularly and drove me to distraction.

2 Things cured it - Firstly I had a dodgy earth in the door pillar, there is a major earth connection in there, if it gets crudded up it starts to spark and problems result. This was cleaned up.

Secondly - The middle earth wire from the plug on the top of the middle cylinder front spark plug had snapped and was making either no or very poor connection, - TS Auto's found this and made a temporary repair (it's been working perfectly for a year), ideally I need a new engine wiring loom but if it works don't change a winner.
Hi,

I have tried the fuse thing in my MG ZT180 and it worked until I stopped at the petrol station and then re-started the car, that's when the problem re-occurred.
I now think that I need to check the earth connections. Do you have a picture of where I will find the earth connections?

Cheers

·
Registered
rover_600
161 Posts
Earth connections are funny old things 50% of rear car lighting problems are down to bad earths. Things like when you brake the indicator comes on or the side light starts flashing and the indicator becomes the brake light. Sadly these faults have been with us since the beginning. I remember spending two weekends on my pre war MG trying to sort out the rear lights and traficators
I ended up fitting indicators to the front and back of the car and making new earthing points for every earth wire I could find. I missed the trafficators. But it did mean the MOT man stopped failing the car for its indicators not working. Most MOT inspectors today have never seen a semifore arm trafficator.
As to your question there are two earth bundles around the drivers front door hinge panel one under the bonnet and one inside above the dash bottom tray a couple of screws takes this bottom panel off and gives you access to earth points and half a mile of cable.
If making a new earth point always make sure that you use steel crimps and not stainless ones also the area should be bare metal, no paint once you have made your new earth point and all connections are made. A dab with some waxoyl will stop any oxidation at the connection point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts