MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to buy an MG TF. I've looked at lots on the usual web sites over the last 2 or 3 months. I've noticed one car, but it has an orangey coloured switch that I've not seen before on any other MGF or MGTF... The car is a 2005 MG TF. In the pack of 7 switches below the fan controls the first (counting from the drivers side of the car) is the drivers window, the second is blank, and the third has an orangey coloured switch - the picture isn't great so it's hard to see any detail. There is nothing mentioned in the cars description. I was just curious to know what the switch is, any thoughts...?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Just need to see the picture, as it didnt load...

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
791 Posts
Hmm, weird.

Possible switches there include... front fogs, rear fogs, demister for hard top, LEDs on washer jets or other bespoke lighting arrangements, EPAS on/off, Air Con, heated seats, electric boot pop...

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Well, its not standard- but Id say its the Heated rear window switch. The OEM one is expensive and the previous owner might have had his take on it- the orange lens is a good idea and it needs to be on a timer. My car had heaters on the hard and soft top as both were glass variety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thank you all for taking the time to reply. Sounds like it's probably not an aircon switch - which is what I was hoping it might be. I'm looking for an mgf or tf with aircon, but don't see any from 2005 (or older based on my limited budget £3000) with the Aircon switch, was this not available in the UK ? I looked at specs on parkers which seemed to imply it was not available. But I also looked on autotrader Australia and of the 3 cars I looked at 1mgf 2 mg to and all had air con). So, aircon in an mgf or tf for about £3k, pipe dream ?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi, thank you all for taking the time to reply. Sounds like it's probably not an aircon switch - which is what I was hoping it might be. I'm looking for an mgf or tf with aircon, but don't see any from 2005 (or older based on my limited budget £3000) with the Aircon switch, was this not available in the UK ? I looked at specs on parkers which seemed to imply it was not available. But I also looked on autotrader Australia and of the 3 cars I looked at 1mgf 2 mg to and all had air con). So, aircon in an mgf or tf for about £3k, pipe dream ?
It was available in the UK (+ Europe + Mexico + Japan + Australia + New Zealand). I have it but hardly use it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's definitely a 3rd party switch, as mentioned, most likely hrw or maybe a boot release.

In my experience, you'll be unlikely to find one with working ac. Unless it is used regularly, the seals dry out and it stops working, even a regas will only last a few weeks and having the seals overhauled is not a small task as I understand.

Source: My LE500 has it.

On mine, the buttons from r to l are:
Driver's window, air recirculation, ac, rear fogs, front fogs, hrw, passenger window.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
mgf
848 Posts
I take the roof off for the Aircon to work or put on the heater on a cool summer night to warm the cab.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hobby :)
You're right Skellum, I rang the dealer who confirmed it - it's the passenger ejector seat button ;)

I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone,
Mr Chill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roobs, thanks for that - I think I'll reconsider whether I really need aircon given it probably won't be working....not to mention being rarer than a generous Yorkshireman (and I should know ;) )

Cheers folks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's definitely a 3rd party switch, as mentioned, most likely hrw or maybe a boot release.

In my experience, you'll be unlikely to find one with working ac. Unless it is used regularly, the seals dry out and it stops working, even a regas will only last a few weeks and having the seals overhauled is not a small task as I understand.

Source: My LE500 has it.

On mine, the buttons from r to l are:
Driver's window, air recirculation, ac, rear fogs, front fogs, hrw, passenger window.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
I beg to differ. I have had my MGF for 23 years now; came new with air-con and still working well. Regassed once 8 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts