MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to changing the diesel pump timing solenoid on my 2001 MG ZR td.

I was on my way home from work on thurs when it just cut out and refused to start. It had been acting up prior but only minor things in comparison.

I had just put some diesel in the car 5 mins before (yes it was definately diesel lol), and until that point was run very very low. Could air have got into the fuel system at that point ?

It was beginning to be slow to start in the mornings, and sometimes when driving there would be an intermittant power loss and then all of a sudden it would just drive like a beauty again at random !!!

I searched this forum a lot and ordered a new MAF.

Then I got the snap on machine out and found some codes pointing toward tractor syndrome :-(

When the car cut out, I checked all of the fuses etc and managed to get it started after a lot of cranking and hand priming. It would not idle and would again cut out if I let the revs below about 1500-2000.

I got it home, fitted the new MAF and bled the fuel filter/injectors. More hand priming and a recharged battery (which was turning the engine very well) and it fired up again. the video shows how rough and smokey it ran though...

Please can you advise me further just in case I swap that solenoid for nothing because it looks like a right bugger to do so !.

Many thanks,
Will

http://youtu.be/VqYMoKQvNP0

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
God that sounds rough! Missing on idle got better when the priming bulb was pumped indicating it could be a fuel supply issue. I'd certainly try changing the filter, checking the primer isn't leaking and checking the hose back to the tank isn't blocked too.

Otherwise it could be that the lift pump inside the pump is knackered giving the clatter noise (broken springs) and this would also starve the pump of fuel internally.

Lastly check the wiring is ok to the earth from the battery and also to number 1 injector too.

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel supply

well, when I was at the side of the road (when it cut out on me!) and I first squeezed the primer, it felt like bubbles passed through it - hard to explain but hopefully you know what I mean !.

This is why I thought it may be something to do with running the tank low and bled the injectors :-/.

Those are great ideas before I try the solenoid and even if it does not work I was planning on doing the filter for the sake of it so I may as well...

Thanks bud. :)

Will

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If you've got any handy try swapping the priming bulb to filter pipe or the filter to engine fuel pipe TEMPORARILY with some clear hose. If you can see bubbles in it when the engine is running then you have an air leak into the fuel system somewhere which the pump will struggle to keep on top of.

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)

bloomin great plan ! This should keep me busy tomorrow, I am quite competant with a petrol car - and have built and modified them from bare shells but this is my first diesel and I didnt know where to start until I searched this forum.

God bless MG-ROVER.ORG !

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diagnostics

I got a few lol...

Here;

There was a horrible buzzing sound coming from what looks like a boost sensor on the bulkhead (I think it has something to do with the EGR ??).

I still dont understand why the throttle did not respond !! I have pland to check the wiring along the bottom of the radiator while its all apart.

Will

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I have since found that there is a broken wire in the loom which goes to the tailgate. At least that is an easy fix !!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would check the connections to the ECU , pull the connectors make sure they are clean and dry (on both the cable end and into the ECU itself) .

then , as you have the tool , reset all the codes and wait for it to happen again and see what codes actually occur at the point of failure (assuming you haven't already done that :) )

i get the feeling the hand priming is simply masking the fault and isn't the source of the problem....
ian.

·
Registered
mg_zr
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
progress

Ok, so this is just an update really.

I have been using another car for a few days so that I can take my time with this and do it properly.

While the car is apart to replace the timing solenoid I thought I may aswell do the thermostat, temp sender (x2), oil filter, oil, diesel filter. The maf has already been changed for a new one.

Its nearly all back together now (just have a few bits left to finish after work tomorrow), and then its the moment of truth !!!

I also changed the tps to rule that out as I had one to hand anyway and am going to blank off the egr.

Will report back soon, hopefully with good news...

Will

·
Registered
rover_sd1
453 Posts
If it helps any, after a huge search for a similar problem I discovered the insulation on the timing solenoid had failed the two wires were touching within the covering. Just pulled the pump cleaned the wiring and used shrink tube for insulation. Will update if it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts