MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

I am so happy to have found this thread. We picked up a brand new MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T in June 2020. The Wife and I have taken the car back twice to the dealership because of this mis-firing/hesitation issue that everyone on this forum is talking about.
I agree with the not-revving beyond 3-4000rpm. I put my foot all the way down on the accelerator and the car just wouldn't rev past the limit as above.
Letting the car idle - it jumps at times suggesting a mis-fire.
The car feels underpowered when driving or 'holding back', suggesting a fuel/air ratio mixture is running lean.
Not changing down gears when you put your foot down
Smell of burning/friction after short drives

All of the replies I have read on this thread, i'm like, yeah, that's happened to me. I am just happy its not just me and seems to be a major issuing affecting a lot owners.

When we took it in, the first excuse the technician came up with was we may have put dodgy petrol in and that is what is causing the problem. They changed the particle sensor as a precaution and handed the car back to us. It was better at first, but now all the problems have come back again two months down the line.

I do not agree with the fact that we have to drive the car for a long run every weekend to ensure no build up of soot which requires the 'regeneration' process. I am now also worried about this stalling environment with the stop/start.

We purchased a new car to avoid all the issues that you sometimes encounter with used cars.
We also purchased the car in cash, so I am not sure what rights we have under the consumer act to either return the car or request a replacement.
I work overseas, so my wife is stuck with dealing with the problems along with school runs, etc. She needs a reliable car!
I feel slightly happier that we are not alone, but we need to figure out what our rights are.
Can we go for a recall? or can we just return the car requesting a full refund? I need to read the Consumer Act carefully.
Send me a private message - I have all the answers you need on this issue and what your rights are and what you need to do without delay,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PPF only on Direct injection engine cars

It is a shame to hear that you are having issues with the car at such an early age, I had a similar issue with the 1.5 litre engine in my brand new 2018 model ZS where it would constantly stall when trying to move off from a standstill. The problem eventually got looked at by the dealer and the issue has almost gone away so there is hope that SAIC/MG can find a solution for your issue.

The engine is designed by Opel and is based on their Small Gasoline engine:

GM small gasoline engine - Wikipedia

The engine is a direct injection model which is supposed to reduce CO2 but has been found that it isn't as clean as it was thought to be which is why they have had to install the Petrol Particulate Filter (PPF) which is also known as Gasoline Particulate Filter. My own ZS SUV has an indirect injection based engine which is why it does not need to have one fitted.

The filter if it is like the diesel version should regenerate when it gets hot enough, this is done passively however the following should be noted:

Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) have been introduced to reduce particle number emissions from GDI vehicles. The filters utilize wall-flow substrates first developed for diesel particulate filters. The GPF regenerates passively, but an active regeneration assist is needed to prevent filter plugging during low temperature duty cycles. Ash has an impact on GPF performance and—if the GPF is coated with a three-way catalyst—can be a source of catalyst poisoning.

In your case it could be that there is a blockage or if there is a sensor it could be misreading something during the active regeneration.

The above information about active regeneration on PPF's can be found here:

Gasoline Particulate Filters

Cheers..
Hi,

You state "The problem eventually got looked at by the dealer and the issue has almost gone away..." Do you know what the dealer did ? My car has a similar problem and while I do not want to, I am thinking of getting rid of the car because of the rough running issue.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi,

You state "The problem eventually got looked at by the dealer and the issue has almost gone away..." Do you know what the dealer did ? My car has a similar problem and while I do not want to, I am thinking of getting rid of the car because of the rough running issue.
The MG dealer Apple MG performed 2 different ECU updates on the car, with the second one finally fixing the issue once and for all as I have not had the stalling issues or the lumpy running when cold since this was done.

Each time the car's ECU was updated, the adaptions were reset so the car had to learn my driving style again.

I found out that because of the tough EU emissions laws, the engines have been tuned to have very lean running which unfortunate as the engine are not very "clean" in the first instance.

In China where the car is made, the petrol that they use has a lower octane rating and is quite rubbish compared to the stuff that we have so the engines are designed to be quite rough and ready and almost to the point of agricultural since they don't have to worry as much about emissions over there.

When in the UK, it looks like the engine has to be "re-turned" using the ECU updates in order to make it behave better with our petrol.

I am surprised that your MG dealer hasn't offered this to you.

MG Motor UK paid for these under warranty so I didn't get to see the paperwork but I was told enough by the master technician Malcolm.

Cheers..

·
Registered
4 Posts
The MG dealer Apple MG performed 2 different ECU updates on the car, with the second one finally fixing the issue once and for all as I have not had the stalling issues or the lumpy running when cold since this was done.

Each time the car's ECU was updated, the adaptions were reset so the car had to learn my driving style again.

I found out that because of the tough EU emissions laws, the engines have been tuned to have very lean running which unfortunate as the engine are not very "clean" in the first instance.

In China where the car is made, the petrol that they use has a lower octane rating and is quite rubbish compared to the stuff that we have so the engines are designed to be quite rough and ready and almost to the point of agricultural since they don't have to worry as much about emissions over there.

When in the UK, it looks like the engine has to be "re-turned" using the ECU updates in order to make it behave better with our petrol.

I am surprised that your MG dealer hasn't offered this to you.

MG Motor UK paid for these under warranty so I didn't get to see the paperwork but I was told enough by the master technician Malcolm.

Cheers..
Thanks for the information. The Dealer has carried out at least one update and changed the water temperature sensor (about a year ago, haven’t had the chance to get it back to the Dealer due to coronavirus issues). When I got the car back, the engine was still warm so it performed well on the way home. On really cold days the engine is not happy at all and on occasion, the engine “kicks “ as if the ignition is turned off then on again very quickly. A shame as I’ve had nothing like the issues with my ZS that other folks have had with theirs. Regards.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks for the information. The Dealer has carried out at least one update and changed the water temperature sensor (about a year ago, haven’t had the chance to get it back to the Dealer due to coronavirus issues). When I got the car back, the engine was still warm so it performed well on the way home. On really cold days the engine is not happy at all and on occasion, the engine “kicks “ as if the ignition is turned off then on again very quickly. A shame as I’ve had nothing like the issues with my ZS that other folks have had with theirs. Regards.
The car has an anti-stall function which is meant to automatically restart the engine if it detects that it's stalled.

It's not meant to do that unless there is something not quite right somewhere, especially if it does it when idling.

Do you know if you've had the crank position sensor replaced as several owners have had this changed as it could be a dodgy batch?

Read more here:

Cheers..

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car has an anti-stall function which is meant to automatically restart the engine if it detects that it's stalled.

It's not meant to do that unless there is something not quite right somewhere, especially if it does it when idling.

Do you know if you've had the crank position sensor replaced as several owners have had this changed as it could be a dodgy batch?

Read more here:

Cheers..
Hi, the engine has stalled a couple of times but not during the last year. On a really cold start, the engine rpm “hunts” on idle and I find it best to let it warm up a little before driving. If the Dealership has changed the crankshaft sensor, I was not informed. All I know of is an “update” and the water temp sensor change. There is a different MG Dealership a few miles from my current location. I’ll try and get the car booked in for a diagnostic there. Regards.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi, the engine has stalled a couple of times but not during the last year. On a really cold start, the engine rpm “hunts” on idle and I find it best to let it warm up a little before driving. If the Dealership has changed the crankshaft sensor, I was not informed. All I know of is an “update” and the water temp sensor change. There is a different MG Dealership a few miles from my current location. I’ll try and get the car booked in for a diagnostic there. Regards.
A second opinion is recommended as it sounds like the first dealership is having problems with fixing a known issue.

The engine in my own car when cold, idles at around 1100 RPM then after a couple of minutes this drops to about 800 RPM.

Good luck!

Cheers..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have had the kangaroo feature for 2 years. No one would take me seriously, every time I took it back they updated the software which fixed it temporarily. Eventually last Summer they told me it was a “characteristic” of the car!
I emailed Longbridge but had no reply, they batted the problem back to the dealer.
Other issues are that if I turn down the fan it sometimes won’t turn up again.
The display once cut out completely on the motorway.
Lack of revs as others have reported.
Once though I had too many revs and whilst waiting in traffic at the lights I had to stand on my brake so as not too have flown into the car in front, that was terrifying.
In the last month the engine warning light came on. I took it in and they identified that the problem was with the GPF. That has been fixed and it hasn’t kangarooed since.
However the warning light is back on so it’s going to go back again.
Seriously tempted to hand it back and walk away :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 14 months, my car which had the kangaroo from the get-go has been accepted as a rejection and is being taken back and I can finally get a refund. I will post more details later but lets just say the stress of driving a car that does the kangaroo is not fun. I sympathize with your predicament. I nearly had two major accidents when my car lurched a foot forwards, stopped and then just would not move even with my foot to the floor - leaving me in the path of oncoming traffic that was naturally not expecting a car just to be stuck in the way after it pulls out .So dangerous.... I never drove the car after that! You deserve a medal of honor for extreme bravery.

After 2 years you still have rights under law but I imagine it will be a struggle to get the car rejected. FYI - Mine was declared of 'unsatisfactory quality' when it was sold. Quite the understatement I would say!

My advice is to get hold of your dealer service records asap. Full copies of everything they have done to the car. I have been through all of this and it is quite amazing what you might or more importantly might not find. PM me if you want more information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After 14 months, my car which had the kangaroo from the get-go has been accepted as a rejection and is being taken back and I can finally get a refund. I will post more details later but lets just say the stress of driving a car that does the kangaroo is not fun. I sympathize with your predicament. I nearly had two major accidents when my car lurched a foot forwards, stopped and then just would not move even with my foot to the floor - leaving me in the path of oncoming traffic that was naturally not expecting a car just to be stuck in the way after it pulls out .So dangerous.... I never drove the car after that! You deserve a medal of honor for extreme bravery.

After 2 years you still have rights under law but I imagine it will be a struggle to get the car rejected. FYI - Mine was declared of 'unsatisfactory quality' when it was sold. Quite the understatement I would say!

My advice is to get hold of your dealer service records asap. Full copies of everything they have done to the car. I have been through all of this and it is quite amazing what you might or more importantly might not find. PM me if you want more information.
thank you so much, it is currently with them for the week so let’s see...
Glad you’re getting a refund 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Well done!

Cheers..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I had found this sooner. I brought a brand new MG ZS excité in January 2019 had exactly the same issues with jumping, losing power, stalling at dangerous times. Took it in to garage was told nothing wrong with it. Anyway cut a long story short today my car just over 2 years old red light came on for thé GPF and I have been told by the garage I have to pay over a £1000 for a new one. They say it’s not covered by the warranty even though whole point of buying the car was the fact I thought I was covered and I didn’t expect a huge bill on a new car! I wish I had never brought it. Been awful from the start. What I also don’t understand is the Amber warning light didn’t come on at all to tell me there was a problem. Any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting to read about the misfire problems on this forum. I have had the same and gone a bit further in trying to address the problem. This is a potted history of my story which may be of use to some.

I bought my MG ZS 1.0 Auto from new and the car started misfiring after about 6 months. The misfire was particularly noticeable in cold or damp conditions and could last for journeys of upwards of 50 miles. Over a period of time i took the car back to the dealer on three occasions. I had courtesy cars on all three occasions. I particularly remember on one occasion the courtesy car was booked to me at 5.30 one evening - the Service Manager said the car was so badly misfiring it had to be kept in for a few days for the fault to be rectified. It was returned later, I was informed a new Engine Control Unit had been fitted.

On the third occasion the Service Manager appeared from the back office brandishing a technical bulletin from MG which said that the misfire was a "characteristic of the car" under GPF and that drivers should expect a "rough and ready ride" under regeneration. I didn't accept that my problem was part of GPF - the car often misfired for whole journeys of upwards of 50 miles and at other times was completely fine. I wrote to the MG Customer Manager, copying the dealership, referring the work done by the dealer, but got no satisfactory reply from MG other than a cut and paste technical description of GPF. At no point did the dealer deny the work I claimed had been done.

On the final visit the Service Manager had kept the car over a period of time to try and establish what the problem was. The final time, in discussion, he had said "it happens a lot doesn't it" and "if it was my car I wouldn't be very happy". How I wish I was recording that conversation.

Important to note here also that on the three occasions the car had been returned to me, no paperwork was ever given to me, I assumed because the car was under warranty.

As I was still unhappy and had bought the car on Finance, I complained to the Finance Company in writing and tried to reject the car. The Finance Company contacted the dealer for information - the dealer told them I had never been in for any work on a misfire. The Finance Company therefore dismissed my claim and stuck by this position despite my observations that there would be courtesy car records backing up my position that the car had been in several times and they had been copied on my correspondence to MG about work done..

As the next step I wrote to the Financial Ombudsman with a claim against the Finance Company to reject the car - after all it was still misfiring for whole journeys lasting many miles and in my view wasn't of the quality expected of a new car. The Financial Ombudsman took up my case.

The difficulty I had to overcome was that the problem was intermittent. The Financial Ombudsman required an independent report - I arranged one at a cost of £199 but unfortunately this was one of the days when the car was behaving itself. Interestingly the inspection also found no evidence that a new ECU had ever been fitted, in direct contravention to what I had been told by the dealer.

I have had a reply from the Financial Ombudsman that unfortunately my case cannot be proved as there is no third party proof about what is happening. It's Important to note here that I was informed they can only investigate my case against the Finance Company and cannot issue judgement or form a conclusion for or against me based on the behaviour of the dealer and the probability of evidence against them.

Many important lessons to note from the above, not the least of which is to get evidence on what the dealer claims to have done as part of the warranty on the car, and that an intermittent fault will be very difficult to prove.

As an aside, a couple of months ago my car went into 'limp mode' on a busy dual carriageway. I restarted the car and took it to a different dealer 20 miles away from my home, who said they had uploaded software updates. The car has been fine since, and in fact does misfire but only for a few seconds as it is designed to do under GPF.

Additional problems with my car have also included two coolant sensor warning lights, the intruder alarm going off twice (including in the middle of the night) due to faulty boot sensor, infotainment centre resetting itself and hazard warning lights coming on for a few seconds in the middle of journeys without the switch being touched.

i get asked many times about my MG through curiosity about the bonnet badge. Needless to say the car or dealership is never recommended.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Interesting to read about the misfire problems on this forum. I have had the same and gone a bit further in trying to address the problem. This is a potted history of my story which may be of use to some.

I bought my MG ZS 1.0 Auto from new and the car started misfiring after about 6 months. The misfire was particularly noticeable in cold or damp conditions and could last for journeys of upwards of 50 miles. Over a period of time i took the car back to the dealer on three occasions. I had courtesy cars on all three occasions. I particularly remember on one occasion the courtesy car was booked to me at 5.30 one evening - the Service Manager said the car was so badly misfiring it had to be kept in for a few days for the fault to be rectified. It was returned later, I was informed a new Engine Control Unit had been fitted.

On the third occasion the Service Manager appeared from the back office brandishing a technical bulletin from MG which said that the misfire was a "characteristic of the car" under GPF and that drivers should expect a "rough and ready ride" under regeneration. I didn't accept that my problem was part of GPF - the car often misfired for whole journeys of upwards of 50 miles and at other times was completely fine. I wrote to the MG Customer Manager, copying the dealership, referring the work done by the dealer, but got no satisfactory reply from MG other than a cut and paste technical description of GPF. At no point did the dealer deny the work I claimed had been done.

On the final visit the Service Manager had kept the car over a period of time to try and establish what the problem was. The final time, in discussion, he had said "it happens a lot doesn't it" and "if it was my car I wouldn't be very happy". How I wish I was recording that conversation.

Important to note here also that on the three occasions the car had been returned to me, no paperwork was ever given to me, I assumed because the car was under warranty.

As I was still unhappy and had bought the car on Finance, I complained to the Finance Company in writing and tried to reject the car. The Finance Company contacted the dealer for information - the dealer told them I had never been in for any work on a misfire. The Finance Company therefore dismissed my claim and stuck by this position despite my observations that there would be courtesy car records backing up my position that the car had been in several times and they had been copied on my correspondence to MG about work done..

As the next step I wrote to the Financial Ombudsman with a claim against the Finance Company to reject the car - after all it was still misfiring for whole journeys lasting many miles and in my view wasn't of the quality expected of a new car. The Financial Ombudsman took up my case.

The difficulty I had to overcome was that the problem was intermittent. The Financial Ombudsman required an independent report - I arranged one at a cost of £199 but unfortunately this was one of the days when the car was behaving itself. Interestingly the inspection also found no evidence that a new ECU had ever been fitted, in direct contravention to what I had been told by the dealer.

I have had a reply from the Financial Ombudsman that unfortunately my case cannot be proved as there is no third party proof about what is happening. It's Important to note here that I was informed they can only investigate my case against the Finance Company and cannot issue judgement or form a conclusion for or against me based on the behaviour of the dealer and the probability of evidence against them.

Many important lessons to note from the above, not the least of which is to get evidence on what the dealer claims to have done as part of the warranty on the car, and that an intermittent fault will be very difficult to prove.

As an aside, a couple of months ago my car went into 'limp mode' on a busy dual carriageway. I restarted the car and took it to a different dealer 20 miles away from my home, who said they had uploaded software updates. The car has been fine since, and in fact does misfire but only for a few seconds as it is designed to do under GPF.

Additional problems with my car have also included two coolant sensor warning lights, the intruder alarm going off twice (including in the middle of the night) due to faulty boot sensor, infotainment centre resetting itself and hazard warning lights coming on for a few seconds in the middle of journeys without the switch being touched.

i get asked many times about my MG through curiosity about the bonnet badge. Needless to say the car or dealership is never recommended.

Hope this helps.
It's a sad tale but not unknown in these parts of the web.

The reason why there is no paperwork given to you as it's warranty work therefore the costs are borne by MG.

It is also good for hiding evidence as you've noted.

Judging from the other modern MG based car forums, the MG Customer Service Co-ordinator Gary Smart does seem to have a reputation for dismissing complaints.

I think that it is because MG Motor UK is only a small importer even though it's got a brand name history going back years.

The relationship between SAIC in China and MG Motor UK is one of how Colt car company was with Mitsubishi.

This might explain why they don't like to fulfil warranty work as it's costing them a lot of money.

Re: electrical gremlins, check the fuse box located in the engine bay as some owners have noted water ingress which causes the wipers to start working on their own. It could be that the car was washed with a high-pressure washer and somehow water has managed to get in the fuse box.

Cheers..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had my ZS 2018 1 ltr auto since Sep 2018 and in the very early days noticed the lumpy run/misfire in the cold weather. I found a solution by reaching a clear dual carriageway and giving heavy right boot flat out acceleration from 10 mph to 60 mph as fast as possible. It hasn't played up since. Hopefully this solution might help others.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts