MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MGTF clutch release arm. Where does it normally seize up.

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mowog73 
#1 ·
IMG_20200517_141604.jpg

I've read a few forum messages about the clutch release arm seizing. I'm still confused what seizes to what.
This is a picture of the arm on my 2009 TF. As I'm understanding it there is a lower tube section which passes through the gearbox aluminium casing, within this tube is the shaft on the arm. Does the seizing problem happen between the tube and the shaft? Or does it the shaft, by design rotate in the gearbox housing and seize in the aluminium casing.
I've got the engine out and whilst I have no problems with heavy clutch pedals I just want to ensure I nip future problems in the bud. I did a little testing today and noticed that if I pull the lever to effectively take the clutch arm away from the clutch the outer tube moves in the gearbox casing, is this correct? I'm thinking if the tube is loose in the gearbox casing then eventually it will wear through the casing. I'm thinking if I've gone this far then it's not that much more work to split the gearbox off and fit one the MG mania modified arms with the grease nipple

See less See more
#2 ·
May be different on a 2009 model but on my 2002 TF the clutch release arm goes directly through the gearbox casing. There is no tube. As you can imagine steel against aluminium is not a good combination once moisture and salt are added into the mix. The seizing occurs at this interface. The recommended solution is to fit a modified clutch release arm with a greasing point on top that allows grease to be pushed into the shaft/ case interface. I modified my own shaft to enable this, but you can buy these quite cheaply online.

#3 ·
Many thanks I understand it now. Seems strange to have the joint in the outer shaft. I'm sure MG Rover did it for good reason!!!!
I've got no seizing problems at the moment so I'll probably just dose the area with lubricant in attempt to keep the problem away. The cars only a sunny day one so should survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.