MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1.8 MG TF and since it was such a beautiful day last weekend decided to go up to Windsor for a day trip. This was my first time taking the car out on the motorway and was surprised to see the car struggling going at motorway speeds.

The car is a 2002 model and when I bought it from the garage they had identified a HGF and had skimmed and done everything else to get that sorted. I have read that this may effect performance but I was thinking the effect would only be a small hit to performance.

I've seen on other forums that top speed is about 127mph for the car and since its now 11 years old probably be looking more around 110mph for a car with no mods.

I found that at 70mph in fifth gear the car was revving at about 340,000 rpm which I wasnt comfortable with. The car only seemed comfortable when it was cruising at 50mph at 250,000 rpm which didnt seem to be stressing the engine too much.

Would this suggest that something is wrong with the car? Or is it, as I suspect, just a function of age and previous HGF's. Would there be anything that can be done to improve performance without breaking the bank?

Thanks for the help
Kirb

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,914 Posts
:welcome:
I guess the decimal place is in the wrong place unless it’s fitted with a just turbine! :)

3400 RPM looks about right at 70 mph and should sit there all day with plenty of reserve if needed. The engine may benefit with a good long trip at those sort of speed as they do improve with being used. The k-series engine in all its versions loves to be revved so don’t frightened to do so.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'd suggest checking the fuel filter, but also consider looking at sticky brakes.

Does it accelerate well in other gears? If it does then the fueling may be okay.

Sticky brakes would manifest themselves more the faster you go, so maybe try that first.
Simply drive the car about, then pull in and feel your wheels - if one or two are warm then you have binding calipers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My standard F mk1 without any mods can hit 120 without an ounce of struggle, kinda dangerous lol

I find the bad boy cruises nicely at 70 and around the 3200rpm mark. Still lifts off at 70 when i floor it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
4000rpm gives around 90mph in my 135 (also a 2002). She feels happy at different speeds on different days, especially with the top down. Reckon on c22mph per 1000rpm in top as a guide.

I feel that mine goes better on higher octane than 95RON but that's an impression only.

Top speed is a theoretical figure really, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing 120 TBH, 90 - 100 feels good to me

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
You should be able to sit at 70 and feel it accelerate when you put your foot down.

RPM is a fixed thing. Reduction in power won't reduce the rpm that you are seeing when you are doing 70 as everything is mechanically coupled. Reduction in power would mean you wouldn't get there so easily.

·
Registered
490 Posts
4000rpm gives around 90mph in my 135 (also a 2002). She feels happy at different speeds on different days, especially with the top down. Reckon on c22mph per 1000rpm in top as a guide.

I feel that mine goes better on higher octane than 95RON but that's an impression only.

Top speed is a theoretical figure really, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing 120 TBH, 90 - 100 feels good to me
No i agree with you 100% i just wanted to get a feelfor what the car was capable of

·
Registered
490 Posts
Its amazing how the car keeeeps pulling. Also amazing how the front wheels feel like they arent in contact with the road also at the same time, would never do it again! Dont blame you in the slightest!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It's lovely though, when it's safe to do so of course, to drop into third and drive through a roundabout then accelerating out. Shouldn't really but....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Why does everyone figure that age will make a big difference to a cars speed?

If the engine is well cared for it can actually get faster since the components loosen up a bit with wear, as long as it isn't losing compression theres no reason for an old car to perform just as well as when it was new (unless its one of the old cars that never had a new air filter in its life)

Am I right or wrong in this belief because I had this argument with a guy in a pub a few years back over it...

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
It always amazes me how people are frightened to take the car up to the red line. Most cars will happily sit all day just below it. It is beneficial to run a car hard occasionally and is known as an Italian tune up. It clears the crud from the engine.

The K series in particular loves being revved hard. I can understand a new owner may be unsure because the car will be very noisy. But this is because the engine is right behind your head.

The power is there and you shouldn't be afraid to use it. I've had my car to 7300 RPM (it's a VVC so it can rev higher) and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hi Kirb
Welcome to the forum!!

I don't know what cars you have had before or what your expectations are for the TF. Probably quite important so please let us know.

The TF is not a Rover 200 and not a Ferrari but is no slouch either.
My experience is with the F but has the same engine as yours.
As said above it will accelerate strongly well through 70mph.

If a garage has done the HG properly then you should have no problems with the work but it may be worth checking and servicing a few items.
Plugs, air filter etc.

Again as said, the engine is a revvy little beast and enjoys being pushed a bit. 3.4k at 70 mph is normal so do not worry.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts

If the engine is well cared for it can actually get faster since the components loosen up a bit with wear, as long as it isn't losing compression theres no reason for an old car to perform just as well as when it was new (unless its one of the old cars that never had a new air filter in its life)

Am I right or wrong in this belief because I had this argument with a guy in a pub a few years back over it...
Up to a point then the wear will reach the point where you will start to lose power. But it wouldn't really be noticeable until there is severe wear.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts

I'd say right.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I don't think that the age of the car would make any difference necessarily to how well it goes and performance but general wear and tear might make it more susceptible to component failure under stress.

Just like me really.......

·
Registered
33,209 Posts
It s wixely accepted i the motoring world that a car lozes x% of its power each year.

Can't remember the figure though.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I guess that general wear is likely to introduce some loss, compression is likely to drop as use increases for example but an old and low use car wouldn't suffer from wear and tear as much as an old high use car.

I would assume that a 10 year old car with 30000 on the clock is likely to perform better than a 10 year old car with 100000 on the clock as a rule of thumb.

Question is, do cars ever produce all the claimed bhp in the first place, they rarely if ever achieve the claimed mpg.

·
Registered
750 Posts
MPG though is never really tested in the real world I think; if they test it on a track or a closed road it is always going to be a high figure without the stopping/starting, breaking in traffic, speeding up and slowing down that is really experienced when you drive.

Very few people drive in the most efficient way possible, to do that you need to avoid using the brakes as much as possible, keep it in the correct gear and anticipate well in advance. Most drivers I have seen can't even anticipate which lane they need to be in.

Back to the point about power though, a new engine all the components are tight, that causes some resistance... when the car has been run in that resistance is lessened. I had an old Austin Metro that had the pants thrashed off it and it seemed to get quicker with age up to the point it began losing compression...which then took away performance.

My car has done 63,000 and is 16 years old, it still flies when its required and to have some guy in a pub tell me that my 0-60 is probably a second slower than when the car was new just rubbed me up the wrong way because I simply don't believe it makes much difference if everything is working as it should be and the engine block is still good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts