MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
classic_mg
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these things are liable to seize up from lack of use. this is exactly what mine has done.

The motor still has electrical conductivity so, if I knew how to take the blooming thing apart, I could probably fix it.

New ones are available but I always prefer to try and fix before reaching for the cheque book!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Ive tried and failed to dismantle a windscreen washer motor, so I wish you the best- I recall that I got it apart, but it would no longer seal. The motors are a throwaway item, but the cost of repalcing is the usual theft from aftermarket suppliers.
One of my kids works for a large German manufacturer and supplier of parts to what must be 80% of the European market. He sells fuel injectors for <5e. The Main Dealers price is absolutely frightening. Same goes for parking sensors, clock springs and all electronic paraphernalia- I suppose someone needs to fun the Dealers big houses, wifes wardrobe, fleet of cars, foreign holidays...

·
Registered
mg_tf
249 Posts
I agree with your principle of mending things rather than throwing them away but I think that some things are just not worth the trouble.

OR
Milton is good for cleaning out the washer bottle by the way. I was amazed at how much dirt had collected in mine.

·
Registered
classic_mg
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I think I have sorted this - at least for the time being.

I took the unit out of the washer bottle and squirted some WD40 like lubricant into the inlet and output holes. I then connected it to a12V battery and twisted round the white plastic tang visible just inside the inlet with a pair of snipe-nosed pliers. This obviously freed the impeller and, hayhow, away it went.

I wonder how long it will be before it seizes up again.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Nice one. I replaced mine as I thought it wasnt fining strongly enough, even after repalcing the nozzles. No difference...

·
Registered
mgf
848 Posts
I agree with your principle of mending things rather than throwing them away but I think that some things are just not worth the trouble.

OR
Milton is good for cleaning out the washer bottle by the way. I was amazed at how much dirt had collected in mine.
Does anyone know where you would get the right angled elbows that push on the spray nozzle under the bonnet mine are shot.?:censored:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts