MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My mgf 2001 won’t start after I ran out of fuel. I started it and left it idling for about 5 minutes and it started spluttering a bit so I turned engine off. I noticed fuel gauge empty so put in 2 Gallons and it won’t start again.
any ideas please?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,817 Posts
Chexk that you have petrol in yoir fuel,filter since petrol pumps,do not like being starved. It might be that you need to replace fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
As Roverlike has said plus the fact you might have sucked up some muck. . Gonna smell of petrol around your way for a bit, im afraid. Filter, pump, fuel lines...Make sure the pump runs or not before removing it. if it does, then its likes off filter etc...

Reactions: The sparky

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Its in the tank! Before you go removing it, Does it pump fuel?They are buggers to remove-to give you an idea-have a browse-online, but basically they are under the metal 'ring' cover accessed from next to the engine cover on the parcel-shelf. Its not a job for the faint-hearted due to the risks of pressure and petrol on the loose. Be absolutely sure you know what you are taking on before attempting this job. If you deduce it is the pump, they are relatively cheap online through our favourite parts supplier!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont think its pumping fuel. I cant hear any noise when I turn ignition on. Could it be the relay? If so where would it be located please?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Dont think its pumping fuel. I cant hear any noise when I turn ignition on. Could it be the relay? If so where would it be located please?
If it’s pressurised, you won’t. Mine could only be heard first start of a morning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas on relay. Just trying things before I change pump. Might be a silly question but does it pump fuel through the filter or does it go through filter 1st?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Any ideas on relay. Just trying things before I change pump. Might be a silly question but does it pump fuel through the filter or does it go through filter 1st?
Have you checked the inertia switch hasnt tripped?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Two person job this, undo pipe to fuel filter, get someone else to turn on ignition or turn on ignition as if to start car, fuel system should prime so fuel should come out of pipe going to fuel filter...if fuel comes out get person to turn off ignition immediately or expect petrol everywhere....if fuel doesn't come out its likely the pump is shot....had similar happen to one of my TF's a few years ago, brother had taken it for an MOT for me, left car running while waiting (fuel was low) when he went to drive it onto MOT ramp it cut out...fuel pump had gone....they really don't like being run on empty :(

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
I ran my TF out of fuel twice (both involved a long walk) but the pump survived. They are self-priming - at least 5l of fuel is recommended, so 2 gallons should be more than enough. One probable reason it's a bad idea to run them dry is that they rely on the petrol as an operating lubricant...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,093 Posts
I would be tempted to renew the fuel filter at this point, it may have clogged up with debris from the bottom of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again. I have tried most of the simple things along with topping up more fuel. I can see the fuel but can only get to one end of it. How do I access it and the fuel pump please?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Hi- what have you done so far? I told you how to get to the pump 5 days ago, according to this thread if you look?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I must of missed that. I have got the carpet and sound proofing from behind passenger seat but as I was doing it I wondered if I could access from above?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
as I said in my reply a week back- its behind the 'ring' which is next to the engine-cover (all beneath the parcel shelf ) You will almost certainaly need to remove the main cover, which is held in place with about 10 machine screws- two of which hald the strenghtening bars that go acros the top of the engine. Dont loose the screw- i always use a magnetic tray to keep them in. it becomes 2nd nature to get the lid off- oil changes are easier with it out the way. The siver metal disc is what you need to remove and all will be revealed. Id recommend disconnecting the battery negative and making safe.the the

1 - 20 of 20 Posts