MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum members, I like the way we are celebrating ownership of our MG3s, but wondering in the interests of knowledge sharing as opposed to criticism, a thread covering faults and issues, what causes them and how they are overcome might be a good idea. What do people think?
I find conversations on Facebook about this, but a forum thread might be easier to keep things in one place and accessible for those who may need help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tyre Pressure Warning Light

To test the water, I have an issue with the tyre pressure warning light remaining on despite over-inflating the tyres. It would flash if there was a system fault, so I will take it back to the dealer for investigation.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think there was another member (The-Monk) had the same tyre pressure warning on his new MG3. I think it was the sensor.

Regards John

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

To test the water, I have an issue with the tyre pressure warning light remaining on despite over-inflating the tyres. It would flash if there was a system fault, so I will take it back to the dealer for investigation.

Won't it need to be reset somehow once rectified ?

My understanding is that these systems don't actual monitor pressure, but the rolling circumference of the tyre. With my car it needs to be reset. Nothing in the manual ?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Reset procedure for TPMS can be found in the manual, if you haven't tried that already.

As for me, one of my DRLs has failed, it's at the dealer waiting to be looked at tomorrow.

There is also a design fault with the seal at the top of the door. I will be adding additional seals of my own as I can't see them being redesigned in the short term.

·
Registered
135 Posts

That will probably indcate there is a bad sensor in one of the wheels. I had the same problem and they replaced the sensor causing the problem in driverside front wheel.

After that the problem was solved.

Oh and you might find the ABS and TMPS warning lights might come on after a while as well until the sensor is replaced.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Won't it need to be reset somehow once rectified ?

My understanding is that these systems don't actual monitor pressure, but the rolling circumference of the tyre. With my car it needs to be reset. Nothing in the manual ?
I doubt that anything needs reset once the tyre pressures have been changed.

On the MG6 which I presume is a similar system, the TPMS can be reset manually using the in car controls and after driving a short distance the fault indicator goes out.

One of the big advantages the new MG's (certainly the 6) have over the MG Z's is that the user can select his own driver preferences such as 'drive away locking' and many others functions using the in car buttons without the use of a T3 or equivalent device.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I doubt that anything needs reset once the tyre pressures have been changed.

On the MG6 which I presume is a similar system, the TPMS can be reset manually using the in car controls and after driving a short distance the fault indicator goes out.

One of the big advantages the new MG's (certainly the 6) have over the MG Z's is that the user can select his own driver preferences such as 'drive away locking' and many others functions using the in car buttons without the use of a T3 or equivalent device.
On the 3 you have to reset the TPMS using the in car computer.

Everything else such as drive away locking, DRL Activity etc is not user selectable.

·
Registered
933 Posts
On the 3 you have to reset the TPMS using the in car computer.

Everything else such as drive away locking, DRL Activity etc is not user selectable.
Thanks Ben for keeping me right. I have never actually driven a 3 although I have been inside a couple at Knockhill.

I sometimes think the 6 TSE has too many bell and whistles. I still have never used some of the 'toys' and probably never will.

Iain

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success, cheers guys, I have reset the TPMS successfully and the light has gone out. What happened was that I had an issue with a foot pump which resulted in loss of pressure, but I assumed the light would go out once I had pumped the tyre back up to pressure.

I will be keeping an eye on my DRLs too.

I tested out the door seals after a good wash of the car, I did not had an issue with a great load of water entering the cabin when the door is opened, just a small amount of dripping, but the extra seals could be an option if needed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds a good idea...Im a future MG3 owner....delivery mid March..
Gaz, you can pick up on anything you need to keep an eye on.

In a way I hope the thread dries up which will indicate that the 3 is a perfect car! But tips like the TPMS reset tip will be useful when the car is basically ok but ownership advice is needed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Also had DRL stop working, both were replaced. Parking sensors are now not working properly, booking car in for this week to be looked at. Also the door seals are an issue I will be mentioning while at the dealers, I await Bens results before improvising anything myself.

Misty headlights annoy me too although replies in the other thread told me I was perhaps paranoid about the condensation.

:)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Also had DRL stop working, both were replaced. Parking sensors are now not working properly, booking car in for this week to be looked at. Also the door seals are an issue I will be mentioning while at the dealers, I await Bens results before improvising anything myself.

Misty headlights annoy me too although replies in the other thread told me I was perhaps paranoid about the condensation.

:)
Going by the Facebook groups all the cars fog the lamps slightly. The majority of manufacturers will tell you its normal :/

I've bought some seals to try when I get my car back, so I will let you know how I get on. I know of another owner who is trying this approach also :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
As is expected, upon leaving my car at the garage to have the sensors checked, they miraculously started working after 5 weeks of them not! The garage checked them over and sent a report to MG along with the seals issue.

Still no word on the arrival of my spare wheel kit, paid for in October.

Still no complaints with the dealer, they have been excellent. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Our spare wheel hasn't appeared, either.

The rear parking radar doesn't behave when the car is wet. Could this be cured with a bit of sealant between the sensors and the bumper? The same thing happens with the radar (self fitted) on my TF. The Jag, with factory front and rear radar doesn't have this problem, and it doesn't live in a garage, like the other two.

When the car gets past 1000 miles I'm going to post a list of good things and bad things. In general it's a lovely not-so-little car. 850 miles now.

If anybody is after a Smokey Blues leather seat Style, the one we originally ordered is now available at Michael Edwards (Wigan).

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Spare wheel is a bit odd. I ordered one after I had picked the car up and it turned up with my phone kit a week later.

What is annoying me at the moment is my new DRLs have still not turned up yet.

Parking sensors are behaving again so it must be a water issue.

I have covered 2050 miles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Spare wheel is a bit odd. I ordered one after I had picked the car up and it turned up with my phone kit a week later.

What is annoying me at the moment is my new DRLs have still not turned up yet.

Parking sensors are behaving again so it must be a water issue.

I have covered 2050 miles.
See now that is the oddity, my DRLS came within week, you spare wheel kit came after a week, I think it may be down to what arrives off the ships and when?? Perhaps also being the only dealer up this way they don't want to send it until there is a load coming up?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My MG3 is getting picked up again this week by Paul to have the decals sorted this time. I believe they have redesigned some of the decals that had pointed edges to now have rounded so they shouldn't peal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts