MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD DAY ALL
I HAVE A 2005 MG TF 160, THE PROBLEM WITH THE CAR IS
IF I SWITCH IN ON THE ODO METRE IS DEAD THE RED TEMP LIGHT IS ON AND THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT IS VERY DULL IF I TRY TO START THE CAR IT TURNES OVER BUT DOESN'T START, CAN THIS MAYBE BE AN IMMOBILISER PROBLEM AS EVEN THE FUELPUMP DOESN'T EVEN GO ON?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,596 Posts
From what I recall, the car will turn over and actually start for about half a second before the immobiliser kicks in and cuts the fuel, if the immobiliser activates.
The odometer should not be affected by the immobiliser, or the brightness of the dash lights.
The cut-off push switch for the fuel is in the boot on the left hand side behind the lining somewhere. Worth pushing that to reset it in case it's been set accidentally.
Does the key fob lock and unlock the doors? If it does then it's communicating its code with the car security system and the immobiliser shouldn't kick in.
If the starter will turn the engine over smartly then it sounds like the battery is OK, but you'd better check as Chris T suggests. The battery voltage should be in the 13.0V+ region really. If below 12.5V it really desperately needs a charge.
Otherwise, it may be worth checking the fuses by the driver's leg and the ones under the bonnet just in case. I suppose it's also possible that the battery and wiring to the starter may be OK, since you say it turns the engine over (I presume it turns it over at a decent speed, as it should?), but there may be a problem with wiring/connectors/earths to the other low current functions in the car. You could try measuring the voltage present at the cigarette lighter for instance.
Problems like this need a fair bit of poking around and collecting of clues - for example are the lights on the instrument binnacle being supplied with a good battery voltage at the appropriate fuse or connector etc? How do the other electrical functions on the car perform (lights, fan, windows, wipers etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts