MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my quest to get this working I’m a little stuck . First of all the ball joint on the exhaust vavle at the drivers side was seized up I free this and the flap in the exhaust is free . Took the pipe off the vacuum saucer looking thing pushed the rod up put my finger over the end and it held the push rod up all seems good
there . But when I got someone to Rev the car is didn’t open or close not sure which . Pipes from manifold seemed ok too . I’ve come across this not sure what it does see pic . Now I can’t blow though the pipe that sticks straight out . Nor can I when I put 12v power to the part . I’m thinking this could be broken but don’t understand what it does I’m guessing it sends power to it at low revs to shut the drivers side exhaust and at high revs power is taken away so it opens it’s using both exhaust this right ?????? Or is it a pressure vavle the completes a circuit???

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,093 Posts
The exhaust valve is normally open, the vacuum pulls it shut at low RPM.

However, I can believe that there are many still working by now and was often disconnected by the supplying dealer. I personally wouldn’t spend any time one it!

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,366 Posts
I'm not sure what the part in your pic actually does, but it is the vacuum that pulls the flap open.

I am surprised that you still have an original exhaust with the flap in it after this many years - MG Rover deleted the dual-mode silencer from the end of June 2004 (VIN 631656 onwards), and stopped producing replacements of this type at the same time.

·
Registered
rover_75
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

However, I can believe that there are many still working by now and was often disconnected by the supplying dealer. I personally wouldn’t spend any time one it!

Hi Chris
Thanks for the help I was messing about with it today just wondering do you know if the bit in the picture should open when 12v is put into it . I took that part out and put 12 volts to it and I couldn’t hear or feel any movement in it do you think it’s broke ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts