MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG Monthly UK Registrations

207K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  patpending 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss, and make guesses about, MG monthly registrations in the UK which are generally on the up - but how much?

I'm not the only fan of MGs who's not here as often as they used to be and I don't think we have the quorum any more to run a separate thread for each month, but if we have a thread with no month in the title, then anyone can start the ball rolling for subsequent months and update the summary of who has guessed what in their own post.

#1,259 ·
Month May 23: MG behind Nissan but ahead of Mercedes-Benz, Škoda (5,720) and Peugeot (5,171) and well ahead of Tesla (3.439) for 10th place.
YTD MG 32,017, ahead of Škoda, Peugeot and Tesla but behind Nissan and Mercedes-Benz for 11th.
May top three: Audi, VW, Ford. Vauxhall (+12%) back to 5th as other Stellantis marques plummet, Fiat under 1,000 (950, -35%), Jeep only 98 (-59%), Abarth 35 (-89%), Alfa Romeo's 111 looks positively good at only 14% down . Peugeot is a little up, Citroën (-19%) and DS (-32%) are not.
GWM Ora, though properly spelt now, has registered only 258 Cats this year, surely 50-100 of those are demonstrators, show cars etc. YTD also 129 smarts(?) and 84 BYDs(?), they're out there somewhere with 7 Maxus... MIFA 9s? Polestar is on 5,739, the most successful "Chinese" brand after MG... (not sure where Geely-owned Volvo fits...)
We hear a lot about Chinese challenger brands like Nio coming to Europe, just as NAC was once perceived as being in a wave with brands like Brilliance and Great Wall Motors in its "pick-up" incarnation. Like Tesla, they can surprise us, but it's an uphill road. MG has taken 15 years or so to get to no.10, with conventional sales channels and a very recognisable brand.

#1,263 ·
@patpending Are there any rules regarding this bit of harmless fun?
For example, as we are now getting good sales every month at the minute, maybe saying that guesses must be a minimum of 300 away from guesses already made?
Or that guesses must be made by the last day of the month to count?

Only saying as I have never come close yet and would love a win 🤣

#1,264 ·
First of all, I'm approaching June like the character in Deputy Dawg who goes "what happened? what happened?" There are so few guesses that it can be quite nice to get another one.
Nevertheless, as it is harmless fun, a last-minute guess that's one more than the highest previous guess or one less than the lowest makes me glad there's no prize. I was saying "by end of the month" at one point. I'll try running two sets for June and we'll see if there's any difference. If people are actually going to play every month, it would better to have the guesses made at the end of the month rather than the beginning!

#1,265 ·
OK so June 2023. I shall run two sets of figures to test the idea "no guesses within 300 of an existing guess, no guess after month end - tomorrow 30th June".

June 2022 5,378
May 2023 6,304

Here's a list. I'm "pessimistic" at 6,103 but Cyberster has generated so much interest in MG I'm guessing that might be wrong. I'm more than one away from the next one, too!

MemberJuneYTD 2023
AlfaMack
7,750​
39,767​
GSi
7,000​
39,017​
SpottyCat
6,650​
38,667​
patpending
6,103​
38,120​

#1,269 ·
OK, gnu's guess is the last made in June and also more than 300 different from any other. So far trying out
Rule 1 - 'at least 300 different from any other guess' and
Rule 2 - 'guess made before end of month'
wouldn't have changed the game, though it must make it more interesting.
Still only 2,250 between us (six months' sales not too long ago!)

I do note that we are seeing several MGs every day now, particularly 4s which stand out, and HSs!

MemberJunYTD 2023
AlfaMack
7,750​
39,767​
gnu
7,325​
39,342​
GSi
7,000​
39,017​
SpottyCat
6,650​
38,667​
patpending
6,103​
38,120​
daveabbott
5,500​
37,517​

#1,272 ·
MG is 11th with 7,607. MG is outselling Peugeot, one of the two brands which had been regularly between MG and the Top Ten, by over 2,000 a month. And although Tesla has "on" (can sell five figures) and "off" (can struggle to get into double figures) months - "1" and "0" months - this was a "1" month and Tesla was still 74 behind MG in 12th.
However, Nissan, the other brand which, with Peugeot, was regularly keeping MG out of the Top Ten, had both Juke and Qashqai in the Top Ten (c. 6,500 cars together) and all its other models sold c. 1,500 between them (both rounded) to stay just 361 ahead of MG in tenth place at 7,968.
No MG sold more than 3,034 in the month or 14,996 in the year (Top Ten models published only).
Worth noting that Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz, along with Nissan above, in places 8-10, each sold fewer than 1,000 cars more than MG in June.
YTD MG's 39,604 also puts them 11th, also behind Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz, and Nissan (but by 3-7,000!), but ahead of Škoda, Peugeot and Tesla in that order 12th, 13th, 14th. (Škoda and Peugeot 13th and 14th respectively in June). Tesla may well be 14th YTD but at 26,140 they are a massive 13,484 behind MG!
Other than MG, the challenger Chinese brands are mostly making heavy weather of the brave new dealerless world. Polestar with Volvo backup are selling over 1,000 per month but none out of BYD, GWM Ora, or "smart" is troubling figures over 300. And Maxus (which has dealers) sold a single passenger car last month (a MIFA 9?).
Total Chinese-owned brands ex Volvo c. 5%, of which MG is c.4% and Polestar is more than half the rest.
I also note that Cupra at over 11,000 has already overtaken Citroën and Fiat (remember when these were rivals to MG? Only a couple of years ago) and is surely set to overtake its daddy SEAT in a Max/Jos scenario.
Scarcely a month goes by without us hearing of Stellantis's big investment plans for Alfa Romeo. The cars are reportedly very good. However, this year that has translated into sales of only 711, behind SsangYong and even Bentley! Ineos are catching them. How long are they going to keep re-engineering those cars for RHD? Tesla has already given up on two models.
Top Three both June and H1: VW; Ford; Audi. "Premium" marques Audi, BMW, Mercedes 17-18% of the market, with market leader VW c. 25-26%

#1,277 ·
#1 For June
So since I won the prize for June, I'll be amending my Linkedin entry to include that fact.

My guess for July is going to be lower due to it being the 1st month of the quarter, although the new shape HS is starting to come through... so as per the rules my guess is 5750

#1,279 ·
OK, late to realise it will be next month on Monday again.

We'll apply these rules from now on:

Rule 1 - 'guess at least 300 different from any other guess'
Rule 2 - 'guess made before end of month'

July 22: 3,076
Jun 23: 7,607

Just come back from Germany, where I had the only new MG in the village in 2003 and found that there is now a) quite a large dealer in software boom town Walldorf (never had a Rover dealer) and also b) in the town where I used to live. ( I travelled 100 miles to buy mine).
MG has Arrived in France and in Germany, the key market for Europe.

Here, the launch of Cyberster and MG4 Xpower has created a lot of clicky column inches and talk about the brand, it seems other manufacturers also used Goodwood for product launches, so I'll take a punt on "higher than June" for a laugh at 9,128, 20% up. (well, it was 12,232 in March). As people start shopping around there's a lot of positive mentions of MG as "good value" and Volkswagen may dominate our charts but it's having issues of its own as well as publicly having to get help from Xpeng (through the SAIC JV) which is perhaps changing views on Chinese cars.

MemberJulYTD 2023
patpending
9,128​
48,752​
GSi
8,200​
47,824​
SpottyCat
7,105​
46,729​
AlfaMack
5,750​