MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to this forum having bought a 2004 1.8 MGTF last August. Following a protracted diy cam belt change over the last few months I fired her up yesterday.
She started first time but there is a noticeable metallic ticking from the cam belt end of the engine which wasn't there before!
I've read that it could be due to a lazy tappet on cars which have been standing. Mine hasn't been started since end of October. Is there anything else that could cause it that I might have influenced- the cam belt, tensioner, water pump and alternator belt are all new.
Grateful for any help

Many thanks
Jon

·
Registered
887 Posts
I had a metallic ticking sound when a new cambelt was fitted and it was because it was fitted far too tight. After a loosening, the sound went.

A Swiss garage did it and they are normally precise. Unfortunately they used a metallc with no experience of the K engine and had no workshop manual.

It sounded wrong the moment I started in the engine; I have had the car since 1998 so lots of experience.

The sound came from the bottom end of the belt.

Is it very fast ticking or slowish but regular? Top or bottom end?

·
Registered
mgf
42 Posts
I also had a similar problem following an engine rebuild. The garage who carried out the work used a converted doctors stethoscope to determine if it was the cam belt or alternator belt. In my case it was the latter. They slackened it off a bit and hey presto, job done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a metallic ticking sound when a new cambelt was fitted and it was because it was fitted far too tight. After a loosening, the sound went.

A Swiss garage did it and they are normally precise. Unfortunately they used a metallc with no experience of the K engine and had no workshop manual.

It sounded wrong the moment I started in the engine; I have had the car since 1998 so lots of experience.

Fast ticking which varies with revs. Definitely from cam belt area, top end I think. Will try and narrow down tomorrow. I didn't think it was possible to put the TF belt on too tight due to the auto tensioner but happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also had a similar problem following an engine rebuild. The garage who carried out the work used a converted doctors stethoscope to determine if it was the cam belt or alternator belt. In my case it was the latter. They slackened it off a bit and hey presto, job done.
Would be good if it was the alt belt, may try taking it off to see. I aimed for about 15mm deflection at longest run.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ah - I did not know that you had an Auto-tensioner - mine is manual. I cannot answer your question as to whether it is possible to mess things up with an auto-tensioner.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
It is possible to fit a cam belt too tight with an auto tensioner, but the tensioner will indicate the tension is out of range ie.the wire pointer not aligning with the notch. I also heard more of a whine when I had one overtight. With a tapping I’d suspect a dry tappet. Try pouring oil in the filler to bathe the tappets before running. If that doesn’t work, remove the cam belt cover and check the tension is in range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I think it's a tappet as the belt tension is spot on- the pointer aligns to the notch. Oil needs changing so will use flush/additive but will try the oil in the filler to see first.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to finish this thread off, tried oil in filler which worked and have since changed oil and used tappet treatment. All is now quiet!

Thanks all
Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts