MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’d like some positive advice on buying an MG6 please.
What to look for etc. I know the clutch appears to be an issue is this on petrol, diesel or both engines? So I will check the history. Are there any other issues anyone can tell me about?
Just out of interest, Is there an automatic?
does the car have a cambelt or chain?
Is diesel a preferred option, mileage would be about 10,000 p.a. I like the smoothness of a petrol engine after the last few years using diesel.

I’ll take my son along to look for the usual things, paintwork issues etc he has a very good eye.
Thank you

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
There is only 1 automatic MG6 in the country AFAIK. And that was done as a conversion and was up for sale at Summit Garage Dudley. Can't remember if it was a diesel or petrol. But the 6 didn't come to the UK with an automatic box.

Clutch problems appear to be related to both but more prone on the diesel.

The 6 is a good car. Wish I still had my diesel tbh but garage couldn't fix the banging noise which turned out to be an engine mount believe it or not. But parts like service parts were expensive mostly for the derv and seemed to be hard to come by when I had mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends if you want to drive a car or a tractor! I prefer my car! Getting parts for the diesel is already tricky, in a couple of years its going to be near impossible. Petrol shares many parts with the K series engine and was made in much larger numbers (world wide).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call!!
That’s one of the reasons I sold my last car, I’m not a fan of derv. At all 😕

1 - 6 of 6 Posts