MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some parts on the 400/45 are the same as the Honda Civic, or other Honda's.... but how many? I think it is time that there was some sort of list of what parts are the same as the Honda ones, and can be sourced from a Honda dealer, or a Honda car at breakers/ebay etc.

Perhaps start with the mechanical parts, things like brake calipers/pads, exhaust, suspension etc....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I run a Rover 416Sli 5 door hatch and a similar shape Honda Civic Lsi 5 door hatch. Both were built around 1997.

Both the interiors are the same (Rover tends to be mainly grey and Honda is basically black). Seats, carpets, plastic trims, headlining etc.

Door cards are the same design. No wood panel on Honda.

Parcel shelf is identical.

Dashboard is identical.

All the switch gear is identical. Instruments look the same.

Some of the body panels are the same, eg doors, tailgate, rear wing section, roof panels.

The brakes are identical with Lucus products all round (rear discs on both).

Engines and ancillaries are different. (I think the Rover 416 Auto has the Honda engine and gearbox?)

Gearbox and transmissions are different.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So calipers and discs off the civic would fit the 400?

What about suspension? Would the civic vti shocks fit the 400?

·
Registered
227 Posts
They were certainly the same on my cars. (1997 model year).

I have also worked on both front and rear suspension and again they are identical.

Can't see why the suspension from a Vti (Honda Civic 5 door hatch version 1997-2000) would not fit the same bodied Rover.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You're right about the rear lights and hence tailgate being different.

Just had a quick look at mine and they are different. Would have put money on them being the same.

Nearly bought some ex Honda rear lights last week to fit onto my Rover. That would have been an embarrassing mistake.

·
Registered
773 Posts
while the lights and body will differ the chassis,suspension,brakes etc will all be the same. my rover 420 and my honda civic coupe from 1996 are the same.

cheers

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
while the lights and body will differ the chassis,suspension,brakes etc will all be the same. my rover 420 and my honda civic coupe from 1996 are the same.

cheers
The Civic 1.8 / Aerodeck (97 to 01) have a different wheel PCD of 4x114, so therefore the brake setup will be different on those.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Massive diffrences between the cars.

Bush's setups are diffrent on the front, sub frame's are diffrent as are the brake calipers. Bumpers fit on the rear but dont line up on the wing correctly. The 400 hatch interior is a striaght change but the saloon one is diffrent and the Honda one wont fit the saloon 400. 45/ZS again diffrent.

Alarm and engine managment systems are diffrent. The Honda uses the Valeo infa-red system from the early 800/600 and R8 cars which Rover dropped in 94.

The list is quite long, alot of stuff can be shared still mind but its stuff like window rubbers, tops and regulators and glass etc.

Also remember the 416 Auto will have more in common due to it been a Honda engine and box etc.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I can confirm the roof lining isn't the same. My one was tatty, so went to a breakers and found a Civic with a mint roof lining. Went to put it in my car and although the fittings the same, the Honda doesn't have the hole for the interior motion sensor, so we had to make one and the sunroof appears to be bigger on the Civic too. Albeit we managed to stay in place, you can see the metal more of the sunroof.

But the black leather driver/passenger armrest fitted perfectly :broon:

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Yeah Rover used the Honda black center console and arm rest on the 45 upto Aug 02 when they went with the duo tone cream lower dash.

But the black one was never used in the 400.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh so the brake calipers ARE different? What about the pads and discs....a case of it depends upon year/model? Where as the 400 series theres two types - vented and non vented discs?

Differences in suspension dampers between civic/400?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The brakes on my two are identical. 1997 Honda Civic 5 door 1.5Lsi (bubble shape) and 1998 Rover 416Sli.(bubble shape with K series engine)

Both have Lucus set ups with Vented fronts and solid discs on the back. The calipers and pads are also identical. I know because I have just changed the complete lot (including calipers) on both cars.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The brakes on my two are identical. 1997 Honda Civic 5 door 1.5Lsi (bubble shape) and 1998 Rover 416Sli.(bubble shape with K series engine)

Both have Lucus set ups with Vented fronts and solid discs on the back. The calipers and pads are also identical. I know because I have just changed the complete lot (including calipers) on both cars.
Strange that, not all are the same take my word for it. I know for a fact there is two diffrent types of pads for the 400 for a start and they are not interchangeable.

I will double check in a min on AutoDate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a Rover 416Sli 5 door hatch and a similar shape Honda Civic Lsi 5 door hatch. Both were built around 1997.

Both the interiors are the same (Rover tends to be mainly grey and Honda is basically black). Seats, carpets, plastic trims, headlining etc.

Door cards are the same design. No wood panel on Honda.

Parcel shelf is identical.

Dashboard is identical.

All the switch gear is identical. Instruments look the same.

Some of the body panels are the same, eg doors, tailgate, rear wing section, roof panels.

The brakes are identical with Lucus products all round (rear discs on both).

Engines and ancillaries are different. (I think the Rover 416 Auto has the Honda engine and gearbox?)

Gearbox and transmissions are different.
Hi All

I drive a rover V reg 416 si ABS automatic with honda engine. its becoming harder to find parts like a cv joint front outer.
So my question is would anyone know which Honda civic spec i need to know to be able use like a way of getting for the cv joint.
the Rover OEM part number for the cv joint is TFB100030. ideally it will help if can locate the honda OEM part number that matches the rover as its the same part.
The other method is find the civic model and year of production version.

At this point any information would help me to keep this rare car on the road and scrapping it.
I can get the complete drive shafts of which is also becoming rare. but its very expensive therefore making this rover beyond economical repairs.

Thank you All
D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts