MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the headlining out today and the inner moulding is a bit tatty round the edges as the old one had been put in with staples and a couple of the corners are also damaged/weak. I honestly don't think a new one would be much better it's a flimsy design from the off, is it made of paper/card? I don't think it's fibreglass.
I have previously made things out of paper mache using PVA glue and they end up surprisingly strong, so I was thinking would strips of paper laid criss cross soaked in PVA (waterproof) glue reinforce the areas of concern.
The alternative I thought of was fine fibreglass mat and resin, the drawback with this is it's very messy and thirty + years since I used fibreglass.
Has anyone successfully restored one of these to BETTER than new.
Peter

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know I looked for that thread even did a search and it didn't come up, thanks dert.
I presume they call it a biscuit because it has the strength of one!
I'm going down the PVA and paper route and will report back if it's successful or not, I've been looking at fabric and decided to go black and luckily have a selection of trim clips in black so can replace the fir trees one of which was damaged before I started.
Peter

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Do you know I looked for that thread even did a search and it didn't come up,
Tip for the future, don't attempt to search from within this website, just use google and just add mg-rover.org on the end of the search, far quicker :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,178 Posts
Incidentally to use Google to search content in a particular website use the search term "mg-rover.org: hardtop headlining"

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,407 Posts
What you actually need to do in Google is to put "site:mg-rover.org" after the word(s) you are searching for. The search should then only bring results from the specified site.

If you don't use the "site:" in front of the website name, it will favour the specified website, but you will still get a lot of results from elsewhere too.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update did the biscuit with newspaper and PVA and it did a good job of reinforcing it, also soaked all the edges and when dry I lightly sanded them to get rid of the straggly bits that might show through the lining. So i'm sitting here waiting for the lining to arrive, thought sunny day go for a nice drive in my new (to me) TF it was great until I came home. I had fitted the tonneau for the first time and it did tidy up the hood area, looked a treat but I did not realise the thing has foam inside the lining just like the hardtop!! I now have a TF lightly dusted in crumbed foam, whats the cure? cut the lining out and hoover I suspect.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The tonneau's are a pain when they do that....some people drop them in a washing mashing to remove the constantly shredding foam. Not done it myself though.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must admit my knowledge of washing machine cycles is somewhat limited but leather in a washing machine sounds a bit scary! I think I'll try hoovering it first.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well maybe its not leather will chuck it in the wash and see what happens, I wouldn't use as is it makes such a mess and now i'm covered in it just inspecting the thing.
Thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts