MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a glass rear sceen fitted to my 05 TF .
Question is, do I need to unzip the screen before lowering it??

I have previously owned 04 and could see the advantage of unzipping to protect the plastic screen.
Not sure what to think with the glass one..

Thanks

·
Registered
mg_tf
673 Posts
Yes, you should be able to drop the hood without unzipping the window, one reason to fit it. Just check you aren't dropping the glass onto anything left on the 'parcel shelf'.
However, there was a very reason thread from someone who couldn't get it to work. Can't remember who (Sorry!) and don't know if he solved it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
35 Posts
There is no reason why you shouldn't drop the hood with the glass screen in place. Always check nothing is on the parcel shelf. There are problems where the frame sometimes jams as the hood is lowered but this can be overcome by fitting elastic straps to the underside of the hood. The straps can be obtained from eBay or contact a company called MG mania.

·
Registered
mg_tf
409 Posts
I have a 2005 TF and have never unzipped the rear screen to lower it, this would defeat part of the attraction as I can lower it while seated. 2 years ago I fitted an OEM replacement hood, it was intended for the very late model TF’s and doesn’t have a zip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that!!
Agree, if you unzipped the rear screen to lower it would defeat part of the attraction of lowering it while seated.
Good advise on the elastic straps to the underside of the hood. I have fitted them (a little tricky) but in my opinion well worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 05 TF which originally had a plastic rear screen but now has a glass one. I have to unzip it to lower the hood. After lots of Google searches and on line pleas for help I now believe that for a glass screen hood to fold without unzipping the part of the zip attached to the rear rail of the hood needs to be modified. Originally it was secured to the rear rail of the frame with small nuts and bolts. When folded the rail moves the two halves of the zip apart by about 3". The modification involves releasing the hood from the rear rail and sewing the hood part of the zip to the main hood. A big job so I am carrying on using the zip. I, and I suspect others, would really welcome someone confirming this.

Jan T

2050 TF 135. 8,000 documented miles from new

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jan,
Mine came from the factory with the glass screen..
Will have a look at what you have discribed.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
mg_tf
673 Posts
Jan, how do you know your car originally had a plastic screen? Did previous owner tell you, or was there some other clue?
The replacement glass screen should be a direct fit, and I can't imagine where the nuts and bolts would be.
Either some pictures for this thread would help us understand the problem, or you really need to see another TF for comparison

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
I know it originally had a plastic screen because I found the original one in the boot.
I hope this series of post will solve the folding of my glass screen once and for all. The hood part of the zip on my car had a couple of damaged teeth. I thought the full hood would have to be removed to either stitch in a new one or possible fit a full new hood. A local car trimmer said the the hood part of the zip could be removed from the rear rail by unscrewing a number of small bolts in the rear rail, hidden under the velour covering. I did this and also released the glass screen from the rear of the car. The trimmer fitted a new, marine quality zip and I reassembled everything. Both before and after the repair I have to unzip for the hood to fully open. With the hood down and the glass resting on the shelf there is about a 2" gap between the two parts of the zip. There is absolutely no way I could lower the hood without releasing the screen. However I did find a write up on line on fitting a glass screen. The instructions told how to fit the screen at the rear rail but also how to detach the the zip from the rear top rail, dispense with the nuts and bolts, and hand sew the zip flap to the main hood. When lowered material from the middle of the hood will give some slack so the screen can fold flat. I suspect on original glass screened cars the hood and zip flap are not attached to the rear rail and I would love for someone who has such a car to confirm this. The mystery is though, kits are sold to convert to a glass screen and the on line instructional videos do not mention the top rail and zip flap. If there is anyone in the Glasgow area with a folding screen car, can I pleeeeeeze see how it works,
Since I have taken the flap out of my car once to have the new zip fitted I am reluctant to go in there once again. Even though the hood on my car is perfect the mileage from new is only 8,000 miles so it is worth doing things properly and I am considering having a full, new glass screen hood fitted but am worried I could spend a fair chunk of money only to find I still have to use the zip.

Jan T

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,972 Posts
I did a glass rear window conversion 11 years ago and have never had a problem with the hood opening. The window fitted was deigned to for the conversion and it makes me wonder if the window fitted to your car is a glass screen originally intended as replacement part for a glass screen hood fitted to 2005 model year TF’s. The 2005 MY TF with the OEM glass screen I believe had a slightly different angle to rear slope to the screen in comparison to the plastic screen hoods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had been hoping to go to MG LIVE and check out some cars with glass screens but that has obviously been scuppered. If you look at my attached photo you will see the gap between the zip flaps (the replacement marine ones). The one attached to the hood frame is too far to the rear. You will note a fold in the hood itself to the other side of the hood rail. If the hood was not fixed to the rail the fold would provide plenty of slack for the screen to fold flat. I suspect that on original glass screened cars the hood did not attach to the rear rail and look forward to this being confirmed or rejected. What Simply cannot understand is how aftermarket screens has sufficient slack to close whilst zipped up.

Jan T

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts