MG-Rover.org Forums banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Sorry for the poor quality of the truncated pic, but it's the only one of the then garage I was able to find out on the web. Nevertheless you may guess the gigantic Rover logo which had been painted upon the front of the building. Unfortunately all that has been washed nowadays.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #282 (Edited)
To enlighten a little more a kind of street art theme dedicated to Rover, here are some more pics (they're 6 in total) I've just found out. These pictures were made in 1995 by a professional who is interested in street art, and in the department - unfortunately - of lost heritage. It's incredibly handsome and original isn't it? Oddly the name of the garage which does no longer exist had been blurred. I've just written to the author to ask for these images in higher definition without any blurring. The garage shut its doors in 2006. No surprise.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
As I've just been in touch with the author of those lovely pictures, he was very kind to send me the best one without any blurring and in a better definition. Here it is with a detail:

And I promise: that's it now with the garage who sold my cabby! :giggle:

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Good pick... (y)
Unfortunately. What a shame! :mad::eek::sick::devilish:
The large trench is for the railway line from Paris St Lazare station to Normandy.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #286 (Edited)
New silly story of mine...
Being garaged my cabby bonnet is always open because of the 'intelligent' charger continuously connected.
Yesterday morning on the go to our weekly journey I shut the bonnet: no way! Impossible to lock it despite several attempts. Only the security mode was working.

Anyway we decided to go. The 55km drive was fine but arrived at our destination (St Felix de Valprionde, Lot), I tried once more, and kneeling near the lever in the footwell I was aback to notice that the small pictogram on the lever was upside down! I hadn't notice it because the garage isn't very well lighted. Hence I made do half a turn - I assume in the right direction - and I heard a light clack. Then I tried to shut the bonnet: success! Preposterous failure isn't it? Phew!

Here is the spot where we had our picnic, in the parish enclosure - not visible - on the left of the chapel tower and behind the traditional house. And afterwards as usual we made a lovely 7km loop walk along fields & woods in the sunshine, absolutely alone in the wild nature!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Here are the data I'm able to get out of my ECU on my smartphone thanks to the white 3 pin plug attached to it.
In fact the app records data along the trip in a *.csv file I've just to read on my computer & spreadsheet program (LibreOffice Calc for Linux here). You can magnify the pic of course.

And mind I've taken off several columns I'm not able to understand or interpret.
The consumption may look expensive but it's only instant one. You can see that the engine was nearly in full load. On the contrary at other moments the consumption may look paltry. The actual consumption is around 8.2 L / 100 km with full E85. That's why the inlet temperature shows -28° because it's fooled by the resistor so as to deliver more ethanol, which is mandatory. At standstill ignition advance shows 4° and throttle around 0.80V.
In short terms it shows that everything is fine. And in case I've got a doubt (on the coolant temperature for example) a quick peep is possible on the smartphone screen indeed where data are presented differently, more clearly & in bigger size. Handy isn't it in a 27 year old car? Just not to be surprised by unexpected failures. It's always better to anticipate problems...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Well I've just been indulging myself in that:

Half-price only they say hence 74.97€ (£64) instead of 149.95€ (£128)!
it's coming from "le Comptoir du Cabriolet" in France.
Shame it isn't in light stone beige...
But I've got a question: did such a windbreaker exist as a genuine Rover option or is it an add-on made elsewhere?

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
As an appetizer here is a pic sent by a mate on a French Rover FB group on his 200 cabby. It's exactly the same product:

EDIT: The weird element is that the seller has listed 2 references for that windbreaker, for the 214 & the 216! :LOL:
Only one left for Rover 214! Anyone here? The shop isn't very far from me in South of France (Montredon des Corbières, Aude).
But I assume that there are less & less Rover cabs on the road in France, that's why they're doing now a clearance sale at half price.
Besides other wind breakers for any other cars (Mercedes & the like) are keeping their initial prices.
As you can see my mate thought it wise to add two more snap fastener one on each side, because he'd noticed the cloth was too tight in the middle. Hence it'll still possible to put on the hood cover.
I'll receive mine tomorrow, so keep you tuned...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)
Here is the result at home so far.
Still remain just the snap fastener problem I'll solve in my manner: I'm not keen to add another button and change anything so visible.
The trick is to attach both windbreaker points with a tiny but strong elastic strap which will be stuck between both parts of the only genuine 'button' which retains the hood cover. You can see the temporary result on the picture: far more discreet.
I'm just waiting for a 150 eyelet lot to swap both original ones on the windbreaker. Amazon told me it'll be delivered on Easter Sunday! They may have engaged slaves, did they? :rolleyes:o_O or is it a delayed 1st of April joke?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Here is the detail: correcting the width of the net a tad too short. I'll cut off the unsightly loop ends when it's tested on road. When the bonnet cover isn't put on and the hood is up, to help maintaining the string on the 'button', I've found the same button as on the hood cover. It looks well maintained.

And now here is how it looks from inside when the hood is on. Nearly a roadster for two selfish chaps!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #293 (Edited)
Technically so far lady Gaby doesn't need very much. Everything that was needed has been already done.
Thus what could I do but some slight touches of cosmetic without denaturing the car?
The fact is the cabin is in lightstone beige leather and the truth is I dislike the black colour which is invading every inside now & then, as every car has now given up with the shiny, bright & coloured body of a bygone era.
Nevertheless I don't want at all to customize with modern bits & bobs, I want to keep her stock as close as possible, and at least to make some slight changes which could be reverted if needed.
I'd had recently a nice opportunity to find online on a well famed French website (Le Bon Coin) two pieces of cream leather coming from a Rover 400 mk2 (1996-1999) for a bargain: 15€ (£13)! And the leather is rather thick and of the best quality, surprisingly better than my original one which was swapped.
I caught them up without delay. You should easily point them out, the shade being a tad more creamy than the seats.
But everybody on their own...
Beware: don't be afraid by the gruesome yellowish colour of the seats! The shadowy spot where the car was stopped and my phone are the only culprits! Actually the whole leather inside the cabin is of a very homogeneous and nice lightstone beige like the door trim. No problem at all...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
And thanks a lot once more to @Roverlike for his invaluable armrest box which is now crowned by one of those last finds. 👏

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
Here I am back from our yesterday journey, with a lovely picnic (a British traditional: cucumber & smoked trout sandwiches) & and a 7km walk around a nice lake. Absolutely nobody encountered along the lanes.
So I was able to experience the new windbreaker during the 10km back home with hood down (sunny day & nearly 20°C): it looks very efficient as far as I could test it up to 80 km/h (50 mls), twisting road and speed limited.
I cannot explain how that works, being an ignoramus in physics and not knowing a jot about aerodynamics.
But the thing is we feel more protected from the rear and noise & turbulence are surprisingly nearly nonexistent now (up to 50 mls indeed).
It's obvious as well that windscreen & quarter glasses are very protective on 200 series.
For me wind & draught aren't actually a problem but as expected my better half is rather sensitive which isn't very helping when you're a cabby owner & driver! But she was delighted. That's the point to keep us both happy isn't it? :giggle:
I'm chuffed! Good investment. :p

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
I've just decided to go posh... :p
Since I've lost my parents' previous 1991 214Gsi I'd been nostalgic of the burr walnut finishers putting a nice British touch on door trim. I remember mum being very proud of her burr walnut finish inside the cabin.
Unfortunately 'they' decided not to follow that look at least in my 214 mk2 cabby. Door trims actually look rather dull and bland because nothing is put into relief & shown off.
Happily I've found a batch of burr walnut trim coming from a 218 (saloon?) on Le Bon Coin, as usual, for a very decent 30 € (£26).
In the first place I thought they were mock walnut or plastic bits but some very small worn places on the low edge give the evidence they are in real wood!

I've taken off the hooks easily and I've ordered a double-sided 3M VHB adhesive tape (2.5cm x 1.1mm x 4.7m) to fix it nicely in order not to deteriorate anything. I'll follow the actual 200 series pattern to find the most accurate position.
To be continued...

281 - 296 of 296 Posts