Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #242

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
At last I've found it!
Here is the Ali Baba cave for every documentation about our cars, including some in English, Dutch, Spanish etc...
Brochures & Catalogues Automobiles (2819 items on 17/11/2020)
If you fancy any of them, ask them via E-mail. They are very helpful and even the brochures are not all available on their online shop, you can get all of them for a fair price. Mine costs 4€ + postage.

I'm happy to show you the special cardboard leaflet about my 1994 Limited Edition. Issued in April 1994 since my cabby was sold in Paris to the first owner on the 23rd of August same year. That limited Edition offered the higher spec of the 216 cab.
That's for the story.

But going deeper into details the oddest bit I should notice is I've got everything but a few features.
  • 15" alloys: ticked
  • anti-theft bolts: ticked
  • electric hood: ticked
  • electric front windows: ticked
  • cream leather seats: ticked
  • BRG paint (only colour): ticked
  • bumpers matching with the body colour: ticked
  • electric antenna: ticked
  • heated rear window: ticked
  • emergency hood: now ticked (I've recently bought one)
and some others as you can read.
And I've got the hood cover (right colour now: beige) which was likely an extra for it's not mentioned on the leaflet.
But
  • electric mirrors: missing
  • fog lamps: missing
Why?

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
Here we are. At last I've got the last bit of the cable USB to USB OTG.
And I've found a direct way to link the engine bay & the cabin. But that small grommet inside is very deceiving because once taken off there's no actual hole behind and I was going nowhere.
Then I've taken off the larger grommet in the engine bay, close (approx. 4 inches / 10 centimeters far) to the big bunch of cables protected by a sheath and going to the ECU. I've sent a wire to test the hole and surprise it arrived on the other side stuck to the big bunch of wires, hence 2 holes in the bay and only one in the cabin!
The wire once correctly maintained I've connected the phone with the ECU. but the app Rover Mems despite a friendly chat with its creator looks a pita job to connect. It works sometimes only but mainly it doesn't find out the connection and moreover the design of the app is rather on the rustic side.
However there's another app Mems Diag (Lite) which connects at once and whose ergonomics looks rather better. Only downside: sometimes the app looks crashing & disappear, but may be connected again at once.
I think I'll buy the full one for less than 10 €. Not to drain my kitty!
BTW it looks that Torque Pro does accept OBD2 plugs only.
I'll keep you posted because I'm still waiting for some small magnets to keep the phone in place.
Some pics later.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #245 (Edited)
Some more news today.
I've tested Mems Diag full version: we were going to a not too far drive-in restaurant (25km x 2 or 31 mls).
It looks very comprehensive with lots of entries and you can choose to display either text or graphic.
And icing on the cake a few adaptations / tuning may be done: rpm idle, ignition offset, idle fueling trim, etc...
Here are 2 sneaky peeps:

BTW I'm puzzled by the surprising low voltage while the car is running: 11.3 V / 11.4 V.
Back home, the car being at a stand still, I've checked twice (once with my multimeter, then with the charger) and the result is the same: 12.2 V.
Does that say that the alternator is gone? The BOSCH battery is nearly new & regularly checked & maintained.
Thanks for your help. :)

EDIT: when inlet temperature reads -27°, it's normal because of the 22 kOhms resistor I've fitted (E85).

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
I've found a good used 65A alternator with 6 months guarantee in France on a scrappers website called Opisto, where I'd already found a gearbox a year ago from a 1997 216 and I was very pleased with their offer.
This time it's not from the same seller but the new one is highly rated as well. It's coming from a 1995 214 engine 14K4F. The car had only done 72k km or 45k mls! And it looks nearly pristine compared to my old (original?) one hence I assume it had been swapped not so long ago before the end of the road. My service belt being hardly a year old I assume that my good mechanic will fit it back. And for a decent price: 59€ + 15€ shipping, grand total 74€ / £65.
Therefore cable & software above were a good move for they helped me sorting at once a rather annoying issue! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Alternator arrived today.
Delco Remy DRA3286 with regulator included Mobiletron Lucas VT-LC111 made in England, as it reads on the label.
It looks fairly decent, clean & tidy when mine is clearly dusty, greasy & dark ash grey!
BTW it could have been only a faulty regulator. Who knows? Anyway no more trouble swapping the lot...
Appointment made for next Tuesday with my good mechanic.

Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Here we are: alternators swapped. A 50€ (£45) worth job. The new one is charging up to 13.5V which is enough for my cabby.
And here is the old genuine one, Magneti Marelli Rover ref. VLE101560 type A-127-65 made in UK on the 17th week of 1994, 26 years! Not too bad hey?

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
And here is an short example of what I can get from MEMS DIAGS when the Tooggle Logging mode is activated along a journey. Mind that there are far more data I don't understand a jot about so I've hidden several columns.

And thanks to the main 22k Ohms resistor, the fake coolant temperature looks like -27°C (-29°C with a 24k Ohms resistor in the V6). And it works fine.

BTW I've even tuned the ECU decreasing the default settings as it reads in the author's explanations at MEMS 1.9 ECU basic tuning / adjustments / road dyno :

d) Unknown (ignition advance offset ? / acceleration (pump) enrichment) ? - This is currently unknown, seems to be somehow related to ignition advance offset or a kind of acceleration enrichment, if the value is DECREASED the throttle response seems to be better. Try min/max values to see if there is any effect.
Default setting: 128
Min value: 116 (best performance)
Max value: 140 (poor performance)

Hence I've decreased to 116 at once. Best response indeed as I've just tried to test it along 4km only and a tad more punchy even when accelerating on 5th gear from a rather low speed. I'm chuffed!

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Besides I'm keeping the old Magneti Marelli Rover alternator and I've just ordered from an UK seller a Mobiletron VR-LC111 regulator type A127 (£10 + shipping) to swap with the likely damaged genuine one.

My mechanic is confident that doing so the alternator will work again, even the alternator bearings are looking slightly worn. They may be changed as well but I don't know where to find the right ones & which could be the right reference...
Any tip?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
That regulator was cheap, I paid a lot more last time I got one for a Bosch altenator. Sorry, don’t know about bearings. You could take them out and google the numbers on them, although I guess you need to get them in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
The suitable regulators I'd seen on the bay were around £10 to £20. In my case shipping costs are worth slightly more than the stuff itself! £12.35!!! But you were right: I could have found out the equivalent in France but for £10 more, shipping included, even cheaper...

Another oddity: when I give my car details some sellers tell me that the regulator VR-LC111 included in the alternator I've just put in my car isn't suitable! Even one tells me so when I'm selecting the details but in the notice it does read that it's fully 214 XW mk2 convertible compliant! And it's not the first time and about the first item I see such discrepancies...

Regarding the bearings I'm not in a hurry: my aim is just to keep a good spare alternator in working order on the shelf.
Hence I've got enough time to carefully take apart the pieces and as you say google the number - if any, I hope - on the existing bearings.
I'm waiting for the regulator and when it arrives I'll see whether I'm able to strip off the necessary bits while taking pictures to help me rebuilding the whole.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
So I've got now the alternator repair kit:

Rather comprehensive, doesn't it?
Here is the How-To: Reconditioning a magnetti marinelli A127 Alternator
You may see that taking off the bearings looks rather fiddly and that some breakage may happen even in expert's hands.
Hence I've decided to stick to the regulator & diode bank swap. It'll be far sufficient for my skills and iseful enough to cure the problem... ;)
Regulator and front casing are already taken off. Soldering off the old diode bank and back on the new one still to be done.

Here the whole alternator sketch from my French workshop manual: you've said tricky, haven't you? o_O

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Diode bank: done. But unsoldering the 3 wires was a bit hard: I thought it was everlasting!

Then front casing back on: done.
Now I've nearly built back the whole, nearly...
But guess what? Not that easy to introduce the regulator in the casing and doing so I've broken one of the 'legs'... :cry:
Rather delicate & fragile as it looks.
Happily I'd ordered another regulator which should have arrived without an unbearable shipping delay.
Fingers crossed: I'm bound to succeed now... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Still waiting for my second regulator that has made an extra journey for nothing: sent to a wrong destination & return.
Not very relieved to notice that French Post is as bad as Royal Mail in that very case at least.
Hence I've had enough spare time to find out the paperclip trick in another post I should have read instead of doing a mess:

"Insert a straightened paperclip through the brush housing to hold the brushes in. this prevents damage to them on fitting."

There are 2 tiny holes at the base of the brush housing which doesn't appear clearly on black plastic mine lacking in both those small metal straps easily seen on the left.
The difficulty of the exercise is that you can't introduce brushes horizontally but at an angle.
When the regulator is in place and slightly bolted enough not to jump out, pull out the paperclip...
Well... easier to tell: I've now to do it properly without any new mistake!

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Two good pictures worth more than a long story...
Three whole weeks, 2 for Royal Mail & 1 for French Post... if only it ends delivered at home tomorrow... :eek: :devilish::mad:
And see the mismatch between the delivery date given in the first place and the possible actual one!!! o_O

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
The replacement alt looks like new! Seems a waste not to fit those new bearings to the old one. Especially if you have no immediate need for it. Have you tried to get them off?

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #258 (Edited)
The replacement alt looks like new! Seems a waste not to fit those new bearings to the old one. Especially if you have no immediate need for it. Have you tried to get them off?
As you have seen my bad luck & clumsiness in the regulator swap case - rather an easy job badly done I'm to admit, do you think I would be sane & wise to try dismantling the whole lot when I'm told by some skillful big boys that it's rather fiddly?!
:unsure::cautious::rolleyes:
You don't need to worry: I didn't tell anybody but I'd tried to no avail taking off the axle... :confused:
That's enough for me to waste one regulator... don't you think so?
A mate on a French forum far more skillful than I am didn't even bother to swap the bearings which are waiting probably for ever on a shelf of his... Am I more talented? Knowing him, I don't think so... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
At last the second regulator arrived at noon and carefully - using the paperclip trick - I succeeded!
I'm not at all worried about the bearings @gnu : they look safe and the alternator is able to rotate swiftly & fluently without any noticeable noise.
Result!

I was fortunate enough to have got a previous picture (see previous posts) because I was keen to put any bolt and washer where it was beforehand.

But regarding the cabby, it's not the end of the jobs.
A few days ago my eldest son being sat on the back seat was complaining that the music was too loud.
Hence I turned it down significantly.
Once back home trying to adjust the sound I was taken aback: only the back speaker was working!
Balancing the sound to the front showed that in the end there wasn't any anymore! :eek:
Conclusion: the front speakers aren't connected either in the doors or behind the radio... What scullion did that mess?! :(
Next headache on the list... o_O

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Front speakers problem sorted... well I hope so.
I extracted the radio pushing it out from the back of the central console. Then miracle the front speakers were suddenly working! I push back the radio and then one of them no longer worked...
To make a long story short I played like that a good while, after looking closely to the plugs & connections which look rather clean & safe. Because when back in place I can't see anything within the console I can't say, but I guess that the front speaker plug & wire (a short length of wire with it's plug had been added to comply with the more recent radio) because of its length is bumping into the bottom of the footwell curving the wire and producing that loose connection. Even shutting the passenger's door once cut off the sound!
In the end - because of my bad backbone I can't remain too long in a twisty position - I succeeded to make it working fully.
I'll see how long... ;)

241 - 260 of 282 Posts