MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2005 MGTF , it was driven into a garage 20 months ago with a defunct Alternator and minimal fuel in the tank. I have just replaced the Alternator , charged the battery , put 4 gallons of fuel in the tank. When I turn on the ignition the Fuel gauge does not move from empty , turn the key again and the engine turns over easily but does not start. taking the fuel pipe off the injector manifold shows no fuel is getting to this point. I have reset the cut off switch. Is there an easy way to check if the fuel pump is working? but also that power is getting to the pump unit , to me it looks like an electrical supply issue as the fuel gauge is not working either. Its going to be something simple but I cannot see it.
any suggestions are appreciated
Many thanks
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome

I presume that you can't hear the pump running?
To be honest I am not sure as I cannot remember ever listening before , but I do not think I can hear anything. I have turned the engine several times for at least 20 seconds and no fuel as the injectors , so I assume no power to the pump

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
If you turn the ignition on but do not start the car you should normally hear the pump run for a few seconds.
The immobiliser disables the pump, however given that you have fuel gauge it sounds like there is an issue with the sender/pump unit. I would start with a multimeter to check to see if you have any voltage to the pump

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you turn the ignition on but do not start the car you should normally hear the pump run for a few seconds.
The immobiliser disables the pump, however given that you have fuel gauge it sounds like there is an issue with the sender/pump unit. I would start with a multimeter to check to see if you have any voltage to the pump
Thanks chris , to confirm , the fuel gauge is not working or at least not showing any level other than empty even though I have put 4 gallons in the tank , I think you are saying that the immobiliser does not disable the fuel gauge but only the pump - is that correct? do you know which colour the live wire to the pump is?
thnks

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
The fuel gauge will retain and show the last reading even when the power is removed, so I am not sure about the operation of the sender, it is possible that this is also disconnected via the immobiliser.
I would start with checking the fuses and relays MG F/TF Fuse & Relay Listing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , nothing I have tried has worked, I think it might be an immobiliser problem, I held the key in the drivers door - locked position for 10 seconds and now I have a working fuel gauge but no pump, at the pump i have four wires , purple/white , black , black , black/green , with the ignition turned on there is no voltage at the first three but I have 3 volts at the black/green wire. I should also say the Radio is not working. When I lock the car with the key and use the fob i get 3 flashes of the lights and when I unlock I get a single flash , I have tried resting the immobiliser with the drivers door key but i just get flashing lights when I get part way through. I have checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Is it possible to bypass the immobiliser by rewiring the car , I do not worry if I do not have any immobiliser/alarm , just want to drive the car.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Random suggestion: have you checked the wiring loom attached to the left hand boot hinge for breaks?

Broken wires in that area cause all manner of weird and wonderful faults.

Good luck.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
Start with Ian's suggestion, if the boot loom is looking ok then move to removing the radio and checking that no wires have been damaged behind the dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Guys I will check tomorrow , but I drove the car into the garage 20 months ago and it all worked ok , the garage is dry and secure so I cannot see it being that type of fault , there is no obvious corrosion on the car

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
As your car is a 2005 it is possible that the issue is with Pektron SCU, although I am not sure that would account for the radio not working.
Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair

However, my first port of call at this stage would be with the boot hinge loom, it is a notorious issue and can happen at any time. Whatever you do, cut and do not replace the cable tie close to the hinge as this is what effectively damages the loom in the first place. One of the first things I did with my car when I bought it in 2004 was cut this tie and touch wood I have yet to have a problem with the loom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts