MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I have been messing about with fitting an 82degree PRT 'up front'.
Have gone through the pain of removing the standard 'stat without disturbing the inlet manifold (TF160 with oilcooler etc- my arms now look as though I have done a few rounds with an angry big cat) and I am having trouble getting all the air out of the system with the front mounted PRT which has ended up in a horizontal position.

I understand some people have used a standard thermostat housing fitted with an 82 degree thermostat at the front.

May I ask how this is oriented - ie: should it be in the hose that feeds the bottom of the rad (on the near side), with the wax bulb facing the engine stream - if you see what I mean - and the small bypass connecting opposite to a tee piece in the radiator return hose.

It seems logical to me at the moment, but I think I am getting brain fade and some advice would be most welcome.

Cheers B.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Hi Bagley

That is exactly the set up I have. The stat housing is sited in the rad bottom hose and the bypass connects via a T piece into the rad top hose. I fitted an 82C stat into the remote stat housing.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
When the engine is cold the water bypasses the radiator. As it warms up the stat opens and allows water to flow through the rad.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the engine is cold the water bypasses the radiator. As it warms up the stat opens and allows water to flow through the rad.

Hope that helps.
Many thanks for the confirmation 98luke, that helps enormously - I was getting a little punch drunk with it yesterday!
I am assuming you did not have any bleeding issues (I mean of course coolant bleeding) with your installation - it looks to be a much more compact and 'elegant' solution.
Cheers .. B.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Bleeding is never easy on these cars, but it didnt seem any more difficult with this mod. Remember that you need to modify the thermostat that remains in the old location.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bleeding is never easy on these cars, but it didnt seem any more difficult with this mod. Remember that you need to modify the thermostat that remains in the old location.
Thanks for that - I have already removed the original 88deg 'stat and replaced it with the 'orifice plate' so, when my new 'T' piece and 82deg 'stat arrives I'll do the changeover at the front.
Cheers .. B

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
A couple of sketches I did at the time showing the position and orientation of the front mounted thermostat.

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks like you used the original thermostat housing that's fitted originally. Use this up front . I'm.using the other sort most common on Freelander 32mm approx T

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Hi Fiddler,

I think you are referring to the PRT thermostat. But yes, I used the original thermostat not the PRT.

Image of PRT below. My vehicle is a 2002. PRT was used on later models, 2003 onwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts