MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emptied the front bonnet area for the first time, I've only had the car 7 weeks and wanted to clean and examine the area. Everything seems fine but 2 things came to light:
The bracket that holds the 70 amp fuse also extends down and then up the inner wing with a slot and a square hole obviously for mounting something, what? am I missing something or is it for an extra I don't have.
Secondly washed the spare wheel mount area out and pleased to find no rust and the drain is clear, as the car is sloping towards me I expected to get wet feet but didn't, where does this drain go have I inadvertently filled the front subframe with water?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Spare wheel well sits between the subframe so no risk there of filling the subframe with water..being a TF there is a cross brace which runs under the wheel well so there is a possibility the water has run from the wheel well onto the cross brace and "tracked" along it dripping off to the side. I cannot remember off the top of my head but I think the F had something else mounted under the bonnet which was not on the TF's but as you've an early TF its likely they were using up the bodies of the F's ......

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dert a search on Go Ogle (images) has revealed the mounting is/was for the AC relay so not a problem nothings fallen off.
I do find selecting images when using google search can answer a Q, a picture being worth a blah blah blah

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
32 Posts
deepfat (+ anyone else interested in undersides of TFs! I have a slightly later TF than yours judging by the 51 part of your reg. I am assuming that VE51 etc is yr Reg.?? Mine was pre-registered by Rover on 28Nov2002, but not sold until Jan 2003. VIN ends with the number 611O87. I had doubts about the efficiency of the brakes when I bought it, and whist I was getting it checked, my friendly local garage let me take pictures underneath.

You can see the cross-braces, but they do not seem close to the rectangular hole at the lowest point on my spare wheel-well.
The hole I am talking about is more central on the picture below:

Not sure if this helps you work-out where the water went, but the anti-roll bar looks closer to the drain, and the slightest gradient across the car would encourage the water to follow the A-R bar out to the drop-link and end up inside whichever front tyre was down slope!

P.S. do you ever get down to Devon? Would be interested to see your TF and compare ownership notes.
Regards to all
EllisoJo

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EllisoJo
You just used the post to show off how clean and rust free your car is, if mine looks half as good as yours I will be a happy man. I've had mine since 1st of June and still haven't had a good look underneath going to give the local garage man a drink to hoist it for me.
Regarding your brakes check the servo movement, open the front and get someone to give the pedal a good shove whilst you look at the servo, be warned if it moves as much as mine did you may need clean underwear! I got the reinforcing bracket this week but as its an early car I have to change the heater intake to a snorkel (I've got this as well). The plan was to do it as soon as the bits arrived but somehow I got talked into doing a little local show (its 500m from home) with the car this Sun so didn't dare take it apart in case, a job for this week methinks.
Devon, I love the West Country made it all the way to Lands End one year camping with mates, maybe I'll get a pop up tent and relive my youth, how big's your garden?
Regards
Peter

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,234 Posts
Not wanting to move this thread too much off topic but Deepfat, hot weather is a good time to remove the old heater box as the plastic may be soft enough to get it out in one without having to cut it up.

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
32 Posts
Yeah, Deepfat: I am Guilty as charged. I am "Proud" of how clean & rust-free my car is, but I cannot take any credit (yet). I did build a kit car and sold it for what it cost to build 31 years later, so I know something about keeping rust at bay, so I hope to repeat the job with this car.
I was wrong, by the way about water which (maybe) ran along the anti-roll bar of your TF. It would NOT have got as far as the down-slope wheel, the A-R bar mounting bush near that end would have intercepted the water before it reached that end (unless you have a huge gap between a very worn bush and the bar! I was using father-in-law's DTI to check front disc run-out today with the wheel off, and noticed the (obvious with hindsight) anti-roll-bar mounting.

Tent room, a nice view of the river Otter and an outside tap & water-proof electricity socket available if you fancy camping in EX14.
P.S. Chris T's comment about hot weather making plastic flex easily is a good one. I have been caught-out with handfuls of cracked, irreplaceable plastic bits which I was trying to remove from a donor car for bits for the kitcar in winter. One of those oh Sh1t! moments.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chris you are right, I had decided to try and get it out in one piece (its me) but at the back of my mind was why, my thinking being the snorkel is an upgrade who would/will want it. Maybe in 10 years someone going back to as factory or I could up cycle it as ???????????? too too much daytime TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts