MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
classic_mg
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a bit of a pipe dream but would this be possible?

I remember my MGF VVC had it so I assume the wiring harness probably has the unused wires. However do the 4-pot calipers have the fittings to take the sensors.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
Rover V8 Marlin
61 Posts
Not sure if anyones done the mod but the ABS probes fit into the hubs and not the calipers. The probes pick up there signal from toothed wheels on the drive shafts at the rear and stub axles on the front. The wiring might well be there (although I doubt it), but you would need new hubs, drive shafts and stub axles so I would think cost would make it unattractive. I have ABS on mine and in the 3000 miles driven never had the ABS cut in, so I would say little point.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I shudder to think of the cost. I have an F with no abs and a TF with; not bothered either way for the MG, in fact would prefer the non-ABS on the F, having had the ABS activate on wet manhole covers braking at/near for junctions and scare the sheet out of me..............lethal.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,124 Posts
Anything is possible but as said the cost and the amount of work involved would out way the benefit of fitting what is by todays standards a primitive ABS system.

If you were to do it I would think that the most cost effective way of doing the conversion would be to buy a written off early TF 160 and transfer all of the braking parts over.

·
Registered
classic_mg
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a bit surprised MG Rover went to the expense of having different hubs / half shafts for the ABS and non-ABS models. I assumed that it would be possible to fit sensors to any model.

Does anyone know for a fact that is so?

If it is it certainly condemns my idea to the WPB.

·
Registered
classic_mg
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of interest, I have just been looking at the Rimmer Bros parts diagrams and listings. It doesn't seem to show two different rear hubs or CV joints ( which I think is the rotating part which the sensors work on) for ABS / non ABS models

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,124 Posts
Yes the CV joints and brakes are the same on ABS and non-ABS F/TF’s. Non-ABS cars will have brake balancing valve removed as the ABS pump does this job. The brake pipes I think are the same so the front pipes would need to be replaced, you will need to add wheel sensors, wires, the pump and I assume the ECU to control the system.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The wiring will be the issue. I pulled out the wiring diagram headed 'Antilock Brakes (ABS)'. It is extensive including (excluding the ABS pump and wiring) interfacing with brake lamp circuit, instrument circuit, brake lamps circuit, instrument circuit, brake lamp switch, satellite fuse box, under bonnet fusebox, diagnostic circuit......Is it worth it? I have not checked but I assume the Trophy had a different wiring loom to the MGF VVC, if so, there will be no unused wires. You could probably buy the ABS wiring loom of a trashed MGF VVC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts