MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the other morning that my nearside door mirror wasn't clearing of condensation.
Hasn't been bumped, so no physical damage, and still moves when I operate the position control switch so it has power.
Presumably the actual heating element has failed in some way, as they're always on if the iignition is on.

Before I pull it to bits, does anyone know if the heating elemt if repairable or is it straight to the scrapper for a replacemet?

On a positive note- If it's a replacement, I suppose t woud force me to finally do something about my sluggish power window whie I had the door card off.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,490 Posts
I do not know of any durable or effective repair of heating element in the mirrors. As I know it is piece of wire which is tough to repair and not to create additional resistance on joint places.

·
Registered
mg_tf
407 Posts
I'd suggest seeing if you've got a supply to the mirror first, a classic failure point, albeit it doesn't seem as bad on these cars as other brands, is where the wires flex at the door hinge.

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents.
It would surely be too easy if a quick dab of solder would put things right.
Passenger door doesn't get opened nearly a smuch as driver's side, so whilst it coud be a broken wire I'll place my bet on a replacement mirror.
Cheers!

·
Registered
mg_tf
407 Posts
Agreed, but checking voltage is present is the obvious starting point and it's free. As for repairing broken wires being easy, I recently had to repair a couple on a Galaxy to fix a dead window and getting access to the wires was a pig, I think a TF would be easier but I haven't had to do any yet.

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Evening Bob.
I don't have a meter of any kind. Obviously, even if I was to replace my mirror, it would be good to know there was actually power to it. If I were to identify the feed to the heating element, could I just wire in a bulb and if it lights know I had power??

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bob, I hadn't seen that page before. Very helpful pictures, much obliged.
Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts