MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes they do, unfortunately I found out the hard way last Sunday.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somehow everyone walked away including the occupants of the car that hit us.

·
Registered
rover_600
149 Posts
Yes they do, unfortunately I found out the hard way last Sunday.

View attachment 136355
Air Bags should always deploy when activated regardless of age. Basically they are a material bag carefully folded up with a small explosive charge inside the bag. the explosives are activated by a an electrical detonator. when any of the cars sensors are activated a current is sent down the wires to the detonator which in turn sets off the main high explosive charge inside each bag. due to the speed at which the high explosive burns at, is the force that inflates the bag faster than you would believe.
An incredible addition to the car to keep the occupants safe in the event of a collision. Though siting in a seat filled with plastic explosive holding on to a steering wheel with a plastic explosive charge fitted to the center of it. Always makes me think are they trying to save my life or trying to blow me up.
It is recommended that they be changed every ten or fifteen years not because they wont work but so the electrical connections to the detonator are replaced with nice shiny new ones and not old rusty ones that might not carry the current that starts the whole process off.

·
Registered
36,497 Posts
Let's face it, the design life of an airbag is ten years and when you buy a new car they tell you that and you hear the sound of a can being kicked down the road.
The cost of replacing the airbags on a ten-year-old car would make that car an economic write-off just as surely as replacing the belts on an 18-year-old KV6.
Rincewind once gave a presentation at Brooklands about people concerned about potential injury from old airbags and mentioned that those people singed by out-of-date pyrotechnics might not otherwise have survived the crash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts